gathering info
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on gathering info within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My current car is a 03 Lexus IS300. I'm thinking about moving into the WRX-STI year unknown...that's why I'm here. ...

gathering info

My current car is a 03 Lexus IS300.
    I'm thinking about moving into the WRX-STI year unknown...that's why I'm here. To do a lot of reading about what year WRX will give me the most bang-for-the-buck

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Thumbs up sti

as far as the sti goes.... i happen to love the 06-07s. they have the extra small wing over the back window and are spectacular performers. any year sti will be great though. The general concensus on most of the sti forums is that 06 seems to be the most well rounded year with the least problems, but like I said you cant go wrong with any year sti

where in mass are you??? Im 500 feet over the mass border in rhode island

This is a good starting point.

I'm a mile from Hanscom Air Force Base.

Banned
    nice! i worked in hafb building a recreation facility. You will have to find out from others about a reg wrx. I have have driven everything from musclecars to imports and in my opinion my sti is the best performing car I have ever owned by far. It's great in the winter too if you throw some all season tires on it. best of luck in whatever decision you make

Yea, a big part of switching from the Lexus to the WRX is for the all-wheel-drive. The Lexus sits off the road all winter.

In a quick search for an 05 or 06 for sale, I found that the STi really holds on to its value. And it appears that 04 is the first year for the STi. For some reason I thought the STi went back to the first gen of these cars (like the 22B).

An EVO was my other option, but never owned a Mits. The R32 was my last option for it's nice interior but I never like working on my 1.8T Passat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunzie View Post
    Yea, a big part of switching from the Lexus to the WRX is for the all-wheel-drive. The Lexus sits off the road all winter.

In a quick search for an 05 or 06 for sale, I found that the STi really holds on to its value. And it appears that 04 is the first year for the STi. For some reason I thought the STi went back to the first gen of these cars (like the 22B).

An EVO was my other option, but never owned a Mits. The R32 was my last option for it's nice interior but I never like working on my 1.8T Passat.
    your definately right about them holding their value. especially now that they changed the design for 08, and most people hate the new design. your gonna see the prices go up for 04-07. 04 was the start of the US version i believe. not a big fan of the evo but thats just me. the sti has a great reputation for reliabilty. I have over 16000 miles on mine with a stage 2 setup, putting me at 46000 miles and I havent had a single problem. R32 is nice but doesnt campare in performance, and isnt as good in the winter. If you have 23-30k I highly recommend the sti
    Last edited by chrisp; 08-09-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Going into this I was thinking the 04 STi for under $15k and a 05 for under $17k. I figured trading in my IS with some cash in hand would do the deal. If I'm looking at >$20k then I'll keep what I got.

I'll keep an eye out at the local dealers over the next 3 months for a trade

Going into this I was thinking the 04 STi for under $15k and a 05 for under $17k. I figured trading in my IS with some cash in hand would do the deal. If I'm looking at >$20k then I'll keep what I got.

wait what lol you arent going to find an 04 sti for $15k. Are you sure your not looking at a wrx? There is 2 models that are turbo's

Impreza WRX
    Impreza WRX STi

You may be looking at $20k for anything with low miles. You can get an sti with some miles or whatever on it for under 20 if you look though. By under 20 i mean like 18-19
    2004 WRB WRX Stage2+ << SOLD
    2004 PSM STi << FOR SALE
    Blobeye Syndicate # 32
    Dirty Crew # 32
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    They're usually way too busy popping their BOV's at me anyways. If I put an anti-neon sign on my FMIC I'd really never get to grocery shop in peace.

Banned

look on ebaymotors.com and you will see what they are going for. you will definately spend more than 20k unless you want something with over 60k miles. they are even asking 16500 for an 04 sti with 165,000 miles!! good luck in your search

Looks like I'll be in the 04 range then or maybe a 05 with higher miles. My car value was way out of whack! My IS is worth a lot more than I thought too! So this all works out in the end.

I give up. I've had no luck finding a decent STi for what I think they are worth.

I'm moving on to the WRX where there are many more buying options.

I Support ClubWRX
    Either way then look for the latest model you can possibly afford. Used cars are getting cheaper nowadays and no matter what, be patient. Hold on to your money until you find something just right.

Also keep in mind that Alan Partridge has declared the Lexus "the best car in the world." His Lexus was a blue IS.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    what I think they are worth.

maybe thats the problem

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.