05 vs 06
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 vs 06 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am unsure which to get. Theres an 05 w/ 50k for 18k and an 06 w/ 16k for 21k. ...

05 vs 06

I am unsure which to get. Theres an 05 w/ 50k for 18k and an 06 w/ 16k for 21k. Which should I go with? Any big differences between the 2? I know most will say the 06 but I'm going upside on my gas guzziling Silverado and want to stay under 25k. I know I'll have a blast with either but just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There are important differences between the 05 and the 06, but that's a moot point because of the prices you mentioned. For the kind of money you said you can spend or what's asked for the 06, wait a bit and consider buying a new 09.

Your best bet is to buy neither. Then, either buy a new 09 for a little more money than you've mentioned, or buy nothing and avoid being upside down. Or replace the Silverado with something economical (not an Impreza).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

what kind of gas mileage do they get? i put about $100 in my truck every 2 weeks. Wrx's can't be worse, can they? Theres no way i can afford a new one but want to be in a wrx. i really want an sti but can't find a deal for my situation.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    get the newest one you can afford

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg317 View Post
    I am unsure which to get. Theres an 05 w/ 50k for 18k and an 06 w/ 16k for 21k. Which should I go with? Any big differences between the 2? I know most will say the 06 but I'm going upside on my gas guzziling Silverado and want to stay under 25k. I know I'll have a blast with either but just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.

As a general rule, buying a newer car means parts are fresher and it will potentially have less mileage, as obvious in your scenario. But aside from that, the 06 has the 2.5L engine and has much more torque down low where it counts. Take it from me...Ive had both an 05 wrx and now currently in an '06 and had i known how much better the 06 responds to mods i would have gotten that in the first place. Personally, i like the front end styling of the 04-05 Impreza better, but the 2.5l engine wins.

oh yeah, you also get 4 piston brakes in the front, and 17 inch wheels from the factory in the '06.

Assuming its in good shape and not modified, go with the 06.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

is the hks ssqv loud on the 06 wrx, like it is on the sti? i know it prolly won't be as loud but can you hear pretty well from outside and inside the car? i'm in love with that sound. thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    is the hks ssqv loud on the 06 wrx, like it is on the sti? i know it prolly won't be as loud but can you hear pretty well from outside and inside the car? i'm in love with that sound. thanks!
    If you're in love with that sound get a short ram intake, or a silence delete elbow.... look into the potential dangers of an aftermarket BOV on our vehicles (yes.. even HKS)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

what dangers? i didn't know there were any? fill me in!

I Support ClubWRX
    what dangers? i didn't know there were any? fill me in!
    I'm not going to go into it too much here, but look at the FAQ on BOVs...

Basically the MAF will account for air that is not in the system when you blow it off to the atmosphere, and you will get a temporary rich condition in the engine when you shift/put the clutch in. Bunch of crappy parts about that, one of which is ruining your catalytic converter... but there are other problems with too much fuel in the engine... there's also a performance loss, instead of a performance gain with those. You get the same sound out of using a SPT, K&N, COBB, or APS short ram intake though.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

It should be an easy decision.... 30,000 less miles, a year newer for $3000 more. I would say get the 06 if it is between those 2 for the fact of way less miles and only a few thousand dollars more.
    However..... I agree with SD_GR and hold out another month or two and get an 09. With new car vs used car finance rates you can get similar payments.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

how much are the 09's gonna cost?

I think they are going to be comming in at about $1000 more than the 08's due to the upgrades that have been done.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

*sigh* and here i thought you actually wanted some good information regarding the different model years and all you want to know is how some lame ricer-boy toy sounds on a car you dont even own yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcon View Post
    *sigh* and here i thought you actually wanted some good information regarding the different model years and all you want to know is how some lame ricer-boy toy sounds on a car you dont even own yet?
    but da bOV soundzzz SO nyceee!!!1 LOL PSHHHHHSHHSHHHS!!
    who carezz if mahhh carzz gunnnna run lyke shytt!!11!!!1!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I hear an SRT-4 calling your name...
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast