Soft gas pedal
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Soft gas pedal within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Today is my 1 week anniversary with my new '08 WRX, still loving it. I think it has a whole ...

Soft gas pedal

Today is my 1 week anniversary with my new '08 WRX, still loving it. I think it has a whole 400 miles now.

One thing that is kinda bugging me is the gas pedal. It so soft that I can barely feel any resistance, especially when I'm wearing my thick sole work shoes. It's a stick and if I don't look at the tach while taking off from a dead stop I'll stall. Embarrassing. I can barely hear the engine with the radio off, so without looking at the tach I really don't have any idea where the engine RPM's are at. I've driven sticks for 20 years, although not in the last 10, but you'd think I would have it back down pat after a week right?

So I'm thinking I either need a louder muffler, or more gas pedal resistance.
    I'm definitely leaning towards the latter.

I figure I'll just add a stiffer spring to the throttle on the engine, but I have one question: Where is it?

Is it under the interchanger radiator thing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Stiffer pedal is not an option. Your car is DBW or drive by wire. Essentially there is a reostat attached to the actual pedal that sends a signal to the ECU which actuates the TB. In other words go for the muffler.

Oh and welcome.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Stiffer pedal is not an option. Your car is DBW or drive by wire. Essentially there is a reostat attached to the actual pedal that sends a signal to the ECU which actuates the TB. In other words go for the muffler.

Oh and welcome.
    Stiffer pedal IS an option if you are crafty.
    Two 12mm nuts and a plug and the gas pedal is out. Then on a clean bench remove the 5 torx screws and pop the side cover off the gas pedal. It uses magnetic hall effect so keep clean to prevent chips and metal dust from jumping on the magnets. Then there is 2 compression springs about 3" long, one inside the other.
    I have a drawer full of springs that I've collected over the years and much to my delight I had a compression spring the exact same size as the inner spring but about 10 times stronger.
    Take out wimpy inner spring, slide in beefy inner spring and put everything back together.
    Now I can feel the gas pedal!
    I'll let you know if I get shin splints but I think it feels comfortable, close to the 2000 Mustang I was driving.

I also did the clutch mod that I read about here. Turned the connecting bracket in a total of 2 1/2 turns. I tested at 1 1/2, then 2 and finally decided that 2 1/2 is a little bit lower grab point but not riding the clutch when depressed even with the floor (it still depresses about 1/2" more but not so much with my size 12 shoes).

Thanks for telling me about the drive by wire, that saved some time.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.