Prospective WRX owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Prospective WRX owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, I'm looking to trade in my car for a WRX. I've been snooping around the forums for a ...

Prospective WRX owner

Hello all, I'm looking to trade in my car for a WRX. I've been snooping around the forums for a couple days now and I'm almost convinced. A couple of weeks ago, I took an 08 out for a test drive, but I may be looking for something a little older, simply because I like the look of the 02-07 more. I'm just looking for a few words of encouragement before I trade my 04 v6 mustang (please don't laugh, although I do hate this car).

Thanks guys.

edit- Im looking into the wagon and the tr. Any opinions on either of them vs the normal sedan?
    Last edited by garrettk88; 07-29-2008 at 07:31 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!

Words of encouragement: Go for it!

A fellow SE PA'er ... you are welcome to come out to the meet regardless of what you are driving

** Victory meet is on for 8/16/2008! **
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I recommend buying the 08 Hatch. I have an 06 TR, and upon driving the 08 I was surprised how much better it did most things.

Good things about the 08:

*Revised power band (much better than previous years)
    *Nice quiet interior (the wrx is loud inside period)
    *Fold down rear seats in sedan (Hooray finally!!)
    *larger interior
    *revised 5MT (every little bit helps in this dept)
    *Traction control which can be turned off (so da newbs dont crashem soo quick)
    *Navigation option
    *bluetooth option

Bad things about the 08:

*They took away the Rear LSD (boooo)
    *The suspension is a little squishier (most people dont stay stock long anyways)
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

thanks 04 spt... If I get a chance I probably will check out the meet.

As for the 08 goes I liked it, but the exterior just didn't leave a good impression on me. I appreciate your input, but if I'm going into debt, I'll be buying something I really want. Also, i may be looking into autocross, right now my mustang has an open rear differential (yeah, its practically a one wheel wonder), so the lack of one in the 08 is a turn off.

As far as the 04-07 wrx's... Its looking like I'm going to try to find a wagon (1st choice) and then a tr (2nd choice). How is the stock suspension on both of these cars? I noticed a significant amount of body roll on the 08 (sedan) i test drove.

Thanks for your help.
    Speed junkie.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettk88 View Post
    thanks 04 spt... If I get a chance I probably will check out the meet.

As for the 08 goes I liked it, but the exterior just didn't leave a good impression on me. I appreciate your input, but if I'm going into debt, I'll be buying something I really want. Also, i may be looking into autocross, right now my mustang has an open rear differential (yeah, its practically a one wheel wonder), so the lack of one in the 08 is a turn off.

As far as the 04-07 wrx's... Its looking like I'm going to try to find a wagon (1st choice) and then a tr (2nd choice). How is the stock suspension on both of these cars? I noticed a significant amount of body roll on the 08 (sedan) i test drove.

Thanks for your help.
    On the 08:

*The WRX is AWD so it will never be a 1 wheeled wonder.
    *As for styling, the sport package and additional sport grille dress them up nicely. The white or black look awesome IMO.

04-07's:

I'd buy a used 05-06 STi plain and simple. Best platform for modding off of period, and price for an 05 is gonna be close to a WRX price for an 07.

Wrx suspension in 04-07 is slightly better than 08 but nowhere near autocross worthy. The 05+ IIRC got beefier RSWB mounts, but you can buy even better aftermarket ones.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I'd buy a used 05-06 STi plain and simple. Best platform for modding off of period, and price for an 05 is gonna be close to a WRX price for an 07.
    Well here I go ranting on about my situation.. I'd love an STI but I am 20 years old, so insurance isn't going to be great with something like that... Unless its classified as the same sort of car as a wrx. I'm also going to be in school for the next 6 years, so I'm looking for something reliable in the snow, but still fun to drive on the weekends (hence wrx). I can almost be certain I will have tbe and on off the shelf tune, and somewhat sporty springs, but I'm not looking to build a race car here. Know what I mean?
    Speed junkie.

Well here I go ranting on about my situation.. I'd love an STI but I am 20 years old, so insurance isn't going to be great with something like that... Unless its classified as the same sort of car as a wrx. I'm also going to be in school for the next 6 years, so I'm looking for something reliable in the snow, but still fun to drive on the weekends (hence wrx). I can almost be certain I will have tbe and on off the shelf tune, and somewhat sporty springs, but I'm not looking to build a race car here. Know what I mean?
    The insurance on a wrx is more than a sti.

Haha! Thats good news. Would you like to expand upon why the sti is cheaper? this doesn't make any sense to me.
    Speed junkie.

I Support ClubWRX
    Haha! Thats good news. Would you like to expand upon why the sti is cheaper? this doesn't make any sense to me.
    It doesn't make sense cause its a lie.

My advice to you for 04-07:

Buy the STi, put it on your parents insurance policy.

This will save you thousands of $$$.

The STi is hands down a better platform, and if you already have modding on the brain, you'll thank me later.

Otherwise:

I still support buying the 08 hatch given your situation. It holds a lot, has big back seat, fun, sporty, new, etc. You will have years of trouble free "waranteed" ownership. Not to mention if you throw in an extra $400 or so usually they include ALL maintenance for most the cars life. Which can be a great asset to college students especially since they tend to spend their way into a corner and often skimp on things such as car maintenance.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks for the help. I don't skimp on taking care of the car. If something higher priority than the car comes along and the car is need of some work, I'll catch a ride.

My parents help me out with insurance, so I'm not going to burden them and myself with the cost of an STi's premium. Something like that can wait until I get out of school and can more easily afford one.

I will check out some 08 wagons, but how is subaru's warranty on used cars all around? Can I still pay ~$400 and get all maintenance included? I plan on buying from a subaru dealership if I can help it (please steer me the right way if I'm doing a bad thing here).
    Speed junkie.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the help. I don't skimp on taking care of the car. If something higher priority than the car comes along and the car is need of some work, I'll catch a ride.

My parents help me out with insurance, so I'm not going to burden them and myself with the cost of an STi's premium. Something like that can wait until I get out of school and can more easily afford one.

I will check out some 08 wagons, but how is subaru's warranty on used cars all around? Can I still pay ~$400 and get all maintenance included? I plan on buying from a subaru dealership if I can help it (please steer me the right way if I'm doing a bad thing here).
    Subarus warranty on used WRX's is a joke if you can find one. Mostly because they know (as do we) that 90&#37; or so of all WRX's are hammered hard. The previous owners do not keep good maintenance records or any at all (which is key in getting SOA to do anything but say no).

As for the maintenance agreement, it depends. I had one sales pitched at me but IDK if it was a Subaru one or a dealer one. You'll have to inquire at your dealer about that one.

Also DON"T BE IN A HURRY.

The economy is in a decline right now, gas prices are up, car sales are in the toilet on everything but Hybrids. Companies know this. If you are willing to travel, you'll be able to find your car, at a great price. Shop the internet sales people hard. Also know what dealer invoice is on the model you look at. Typically Dealerships have about $1000 hold back cash (free and clear profit) under the invoice price, not counting any finance deals or incentives they are not telling you about. Drive a hard bargain! In this economy they should be willing to just "move cars" to keep inventory flowing. Take advantage of it!

Oh and again on the 08's find out about the "Sport package". When I was checking them out, it had an aero package, better interior colors and cloth, as well as some other goodies. Worth it IMO.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Haha, I've already read the long post on purchasing one, but thanks for the advice.

I'm going to try to find a used one with relatively low mileage (I figure the less miles the car, the less potentially beat on it was).

I'm going to take a trip up to a couple dealerships this friday and saturday.
    Speed junkie.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Im looking into the wagon and the tr.
    As for the 08 goes I liked it, but the exterior just didn't leave a good impression on me.

im a little late to chime in here, but

you said you dont like the 08 interior...

have you SEEN the TR interior? its terrible.

i really like my TR though. its a great car and other than cosmetic things, its the same as the sedan.

i am partial to 04-07 wagons though. i think they look great

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    im a little late to chime in here, but

you said you dont like the 08 interior...

have you SEEN the TR interior? its terrible.

i really like my TR though. its a great car and other than cosmetic things, its the same as the sedan.

i am partial to 04-07 wagons though. i think they look great
    Sounds like we like the same things...

But I said I didn't like the exterior as much as the 02-07 body styles, the interior of the new wrx's is very nice.

As far as the TR goes, I know its pretty bare. Simplicity can be a good thing, it just means you have more canvas to work with.
    Speed junkie.

My buddy got a sti last year and sold his wrx. The insurance went down i Dont know why my insurance told that and sti would be less to.I think its cause there is more kids rolling around in wrx then there is kids in sti.
    Last edited by wrx200289; 07-30-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast