Prospective WRX owner - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Prospective WRX owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by garrettk88 My parents help me out with insurance, so I'm not going to burden them and myself ...

Quote Originally Posted by garrettk88 View Post
    My parents help me out with insurance, so I'm not going to burden them and myself with the cost of an STi's premium. Something like that can wait until I get out of school and can more easily afford one.

Best thing to do is get insurance quotes for each car and go from there. I don't understand how an STi is less to insure than a regular WRX but whatever. The trick with being on your parents insurance is to name one of your parents as the primary operator which is perfectly legal.. (that is what i did with my eclipse) If you do that then the premuim won't be nearly as high as you think. See if it's cool with your parents if you do it that way. Whatever the increase in insurance from your mustang just float that $$ to your parents to make up the difference.

I'm 27 and i pay $140 a month for full coverage on an 05 STi, 08 WRX, and renters insurance. which comes out to about $75 a month for insurance on the STi, $56 for the WRX... which will become even less in the next couple years (i'm getting old)

Just something to think about.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I recommend buying the 08 Hatch. I have an 06 TR, and upon driving the 08 I was surprised how much better it did most things.

Good things about the 08:

*Revised power band (much better than previous years)
    *Nice quiet interior (the wrx is loud inside period)
    *Fold down rear seats in sedan (Hooray finally!!)
    *larger interior
    *revised 5MT (every little bit helps in this dept)
    *Traction control which can be turned off (so da newbs dont crashem soo quick)
    *Navigation option
    *bluetooth option

Bad things about the 08:

*They took away the Rear LSD (boooo)
    *The suspension is a little squishier (most people dont stay stock long anyways)
    Another good thing that i have noticed on the 08's with the 5 spd, while stopped on a hill with the car in gear and release the brake (clutch still engaged) the car will hold itself for a second or so, so you don't do the backward roll.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Thanks for the help everyone. It seems like every choice is a good one. I'll do my research and see what works best for me.
    Speed junkie.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ05 View Post
    Another good thing that i have noticed on the 08's with the 5 spd, while stopped on a hill with the car in gear and release the brake (clutch still engaged) the car will hold itself for a second or so, so you don't do the backward roll.
    Thats right they did get the "hill holding" feature as well.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I have to agree with garrettk88. I like the styling of the 04-07 better than the 08's. I am also not a fan of buying anything new. Save 10k and use it to turn it into "your" car. Whatever you do keep it looking stock and don't beat on it. I am sick of civic's wanting to test their bolt on aftermarkets on me.

Phantastic, you seem to understand my idea. Keep it clean and not so loud so you don't attract attention, but still make it a little bit quicker so you can enjoy it yourself.
    Speed junkie.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettk88 View Post
    Phantastic, you seem to understand my idea. Keep it clean and not so loud so you don't attract attention, but still make it a little bit quicker so you can enjoy it yourself.
    As a consumer who has bought several of both new cars and used ones...heres my take.

New car ramble...

Everyone always knee jerks and says "you're gonna lose so much money in depreciation!!!!" Cars depreciate period. The best way to minimize this hit is to be a smart educated consumer and get the absolute lowest price possible. A year later my WRX blue booked for exactly what I paid for it, even with 25,000 miles.

I like the fact that its new. I get to break it in my way, I get to do the initial oil changes and ALL properly scheduled maintenance. As well as I get to fill up with "Good" gas as opposed to "the cheapest stuff available", and yes it makes a significant difference to the health of the fuel system and valve train components.

Also in buying new and especially important with WRX's, I know how the transmission was treated.

At the end of the day no matter what you pay for it, you are getting a NEW CAR. New Cars are all in the same spot...they are NEW.

On used cars:

First they are all in varying states of "use."

Yes you can save some money but you can also lose money right out of the box. The car will still depreciate, and I have seen just as many "bad deals" on used cars as I have seen "good deals." That and given the used nature of the vehicle, essentially buying something reliable is sort of a gamble.

When any squeaks, rattles, or groans are heard on a used car, I always blamed the previous owner. Other than his word, I have no idea how the car was really treated. Do a search there are quite a few threads on "Just picked up a Used 200x WRX, now transmission is making noise ". Or "I bought a used wrx with a MBC, BOV, CAI etc. etc. and now I have a CEL and its puking black smoke!!

I also found this out the hard way on my last used car. I went to replace a seeping valve cover gasket, only to find the inside of the valve train coated with a layer of sludge. Guess the previous owner didn't like to change the oil. As such the motor let go at 150k miles (bought it at 60k), and ofcourse I blamed the previous owner. And before you chime in..it was a Factory certified used vehicle purchased at a dealership so yes it had been as thoroughly check as you're gonna get.

Also along those lines, the complete lack of service records with a used car is a problem for warranty concerns with your Subaru. Its a known fact SOA wants documentation or they won't cover it.

So personally based on all this, I'd rather buy a new car at a used car price. Get the best possible deal, do your research and minimize depreciation and frustration.

:shrug:
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 07-31-2008 at 11:00 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

You are right about use.... but 15k for a high mileage 05' Throw in a Cosworth Short Block ~4k and Take the tranny to a good tranny place to have it rebuilt ~2k. 21K for a car rated up to an over 500HP and you still have another 9K to do the rest with.... Your car how you want, your burn in on a new block/tranny and it is ready to go from as mild or as wild as you want it. Eat some STI's... even modded one's for lunch with.

Lets talk payments.... new car ~35k 5 year finances figure about ~360 in payments with 10k plus down ...add new car insurance for a 20 yr old ouch.

12months times 360 $4320/year.

Even if you bought a beater you'd be hard pressed to spend 4320 a year for 5 years in repairs.

Trust me I have an 03 WRX wagon and a brand spanky new Volvo S60 T5 AWD... Man is that volvo payment completely a waste.... Couldnt talk the wife into getting 1 a year older off of lease but I did try my hardest.

Thanks for the ramble..

I'm still leaning towards a used one as far as the price goes, and with the bad economy I'd be an idiot not to try to catch a deal on an 08 this September. Hmm... Maybe only time will tell.

But in the meanwhile I can lurk the forums and obsess over a car I want.

or maybe I should just lease an STI haha. (im kidding, i think)
    Speed junkie.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by phantastic View Post
    You are right about use.... but 15k for a high mileage 05' Throw in a Cosworth Short Block ~4k and Take the tranny to a good tranny place to have it rebuilt ~2k. 21K for a car rated up to an over 500HP and you still have another 9K to do the rest with.... Your car how you want, your burn in on a new block/tranny and it is ready to go from as mild or as wild as you want it. Eat some STI's... even modded one's for lunch with.
    Your tranny figure is grossly under rated and you are analyzing the situation inaccurately from a resale point. For a 500HP WRX you'd need a Dog Box PPG set which would run you between $6000-$10,000.

Contact these guys for that Welcome to Andrewtech Automotive Online - The Premier Facility for Performance-Minded Subaru and Import Owners

That brings your total up to $25000-$29000 for a 3-4 model year old car that retailed new for $23500. If you were ever in a pinch, I don't care if a flux capacitor is attached you'll only ever get fair market or "book value for it" which right now is around $15000-$17000. Now thats just poor financial planning...sorry.

Not to mention a high mileage Wrx interior has wear and tear as does the exterior, especially in snow country. The two cannot be compared IMO, sorry.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 07-31-2008 at 02:15 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I wasnt saying you would have a 500hp car... I was saying you have a car capable of it should you want to go that far. Anywho we are all entitled to opinions and we each have valid points. I am done hijacking this nice dude's thread. Good night and good luck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.