buying a salvage wrx!

This is a discussion on buying a salvage wrx! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; By wednesday I am going to be buying a wrx, the first one is a 5 spd 2005 ,34k miles ...

buying a salvage wrx!

By wednesday I am going to be buying a wrx,
    the first one is a 5 spd 2005 ,34k miles completely stock with turbo

the second is a 2003 5spd 64k miles with intake, exhaust, timers, lip kit, aftermarket bov and a few other things

the first drove smooth checked the carfax and talked to the owner has a little damage to front bumper nothing major but the idle sputtered some when i left it on after driving it pretty hard , Is this normal?
    the second was faster more responsive and drove really smooth for having those miles
    I'm new to the subaru realm, had an 07 altima, acura tl, hyundai tiburon before and did some modifications, but I'm finally going to get a car and pay it off and keep it a while so any suggestions are welcome as I'm going to be paying cash by wed for a car. I've read around on the forums learning as much as I can before I purchase and I dont have time as I have been using my roomates car and she is getting back from Afghanistan wed so I need a car by then . The salvage title is all I can really afford right now but both engines were in really good shape. Which one should I get if they are both the same price? I live in the San Diego area and use to be in other car clubs so looking forward to getting to know these cars and going to some meets.
    Also I'll have about 1200 dolalrs extra to play with any suggestions as far as modifications for the car? Trying to stretch my dollar and get the most I can for what I have for now anyway.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ya I would never buy a salvage title car... Buy something that you can afford, its not worth it in the long run...

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Salvage could mean a great deal - depending on how the car was destroyed. If these cars are salvaged due to car accidents, maybe I would consider. However, if these cars are salvage due to flood - I would stay away. Once the car is flooded, corrosion has begun and you will most likely not see most of the damage until 1+ year out when components start to deteriorate and (electrical) short.

Also remember - it is very hard to get rid of a salvage car, so your resale (if you chose too) would be awful.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    "the second is a 2003 5spd 64k miles with intake, exhaust, timers, lip kit, aftermarket bov and a few other things"

the cars that you are looking at... especially if they have salvaged titles... sound like a recipe for disaster.

atleast car number one you said was completely stock which is GREAT, however the 2nd one sounds like a mess.

our cars dont need turbo timers... BOV's are horrible.. and generally, an intake wont do anything to help your performance.

i would keep searching until you find the perfect car (that's stock)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally, I wouldn't buy either, but if I did, I'd take the '05
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC