Questions about WRX's
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Questions about WRX's within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm really leaning towards buying a WRX, but I have a few questions. I drove my first one tonight and ...

Questions about WRX's

I'm really leaning towards buying a WRX, but I have a few questions. I drove my first one tonight and I couldn't feel the turbo spool up, is this normal? My wife has a Jetta and that thing pulls once it spools. This WRX felt like it didn't even have a turbo (I did see one under the hood). I was very impressed with the handling though. The shifting was so close, it was awsome. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the turbo. If any one can let me know I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gasboysun View Post
    I'm really leaning towards buying a WRX, but I have a few questions. I drove my first one tonight and I couldn't feel the turbo spool up, is this normal? My wife has a Jetta and that thing pulls once it spools. This WRX felt like it didn't even have a turbo (I did see one under the hood). I was very impressed with the handling though. The shifting was so close, it was awsome. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the turbo. If any one can let me know I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys

did you drive a new or used one? if used, how many miles and did it have any mods? when you test drove it, how did you drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I Support ClubWRX
    What model year did you drive? How high did you get the RPMs up? The newer models will have smoother acceleration.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

It was a used 04 with 52,000 miles. There weren't any noticable mods, and I drove it normal until it wamed up and then I got on it. I feel I drive rather well so you can say I put it to it's potential. The car was really clean. The valve cover gaskets weren't blown either. I'm not sure if Subaru's do that if you beat on them, I know other brands do.

I was playing with rpm's at around 5,500 to 6,500. There was rush hour traffic.
    Last edited by Gasboysun; 07-28-2008 at 06:44 PM.

WRX turbo boost

I've got an 03 with 138,000 on it, and the turbo still kicks in strongly. It does come on more gently than, say, a Saab, but on mine, it's there at 3,000 rpm and above.

Do here a whistle or anything? I couldn't hear anything. I just don't want to buy this car and the turbo is gone.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do here a whistle or anything? I couldn't hear anything. I just don't want to buy this car and the turbo is gone.

I doubt the turbo was gone. No you usually can't hear the turbo much with the stock DP, BPV and Airbox.

As for "the kick" no happening, it could be running low boost and have a Vac leak.

If you wanna check for the turbo....Its on the passenger side toward the back of the firewall covered by a heat shield. You can either follow the IC hoses down and left, or follow the exhaust starting from the passenger side firewall forward.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I doubt the turbo was gone. No you usually can't hear the turbo much with the stock DP, BPV and Airbox.

As for "the kick" no happening, it could be running low boost and have a Vac leak.

If you wanna check for the turbo....Its on the passenger side toward the back of the firewall covered by a heat shield. You can either follow the IC hoses down and left, or follow the exhaust starting from the passenger side firewall forward.
    So the likeliness of the turbo being gone is slim to none?

I Support ClubWRX
    So the likeliness of the turbo being gone is slim to none?
    If it runs ok and the IC is still there....yeah pretty much. But if you are worried snap a few pics, post them up and we'll check her out for you.

My guess and what is semi common in used WRX's is a low boost condition. A number of things can cause it, and its usually a cheap fix.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I drove a RS Pro today. It really wasn't much slower then the WRX, and it was priced a little better. I know this is the WRX forum, but is the RS Pro too less of a car. I'm 28, and I'm not looking to lose my license drifting or racing, although if I could get away with it I would. Thanks for the info.

I Support ClubWRX
    I drove a RS Pro today. It really wasn't much slower then the WRX, and it was priced a little better. I know this is the WRX forum, but is the RS Pro too less of a car. I'm 28, and I'm not looking to lose my license drifting or racing, although if I could get away with it I would. Thanks for the info.
    Eh its all about what your needs are, and what your buying criteria is.

I wanted something moddable, fast, fun, decent handling, AWD, decent MPG, reasonable price, and 4 doors. As such I landed on the Wrx. I love everything about it except the paint color on any day other than the one I washed it on.

A 2.5i or 2.5rs is a great car sharing many of the same componentry as the WRX, afterall they are both "Imprezas" . You lose peak power with the RS with an increase in fuel economy. It's still a fun car, but its mod path is limited shy of a wrx powertrain swap (Weasel555 has done it).

So it is all dependent on what your plan, budget, and criteria are.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks 06wrx4me for the info

As a driver I don't feel the turbo kicking in or shifting gears, but If I'm the passenger I can feel everything.

I Support ClubWRX
    There really isn't very much turbo lag at all w/ our tiny td04-13t.

The only place you really feel the turbo kick in for me seems to be between 2500 and 3500 if you kick it... otherwise it seems pretty smooth accelerating.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.