new here and to subaru
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new here and to subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey I just bought a 2002 wrx wagon auto w/64k. I have never had a turbo car before but have ...

new here and to subaru

Hey I just bought a 2002 wrx wagon auto w/64k. I have never had a turbo car before but have had a supercharger on a mustang. this car seems to have an excessive amount of lag. also it has a boost guage but it reads +/- .5 1.0 and 1.5. what is this? so far the turbo has only gone up to 1.0.

I have been reading around and am a little confused on some of the lingo here. what can I do the get it to spool up faster?

I have seen some pretty cheap full exhausts on ebay that are stainless but do you get what you pay for? Id like something on the quieter side and deep but dont want to pay 600 for it.

my car is completely stock with just a k&n cold air.

thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 41922 View Post
    Hey I just bought a 2002 wrx wagon auto w/64k. I have never had a turbo car before but have had a supercharger on a mustang. this car seems to have an excessive amount of lag. also it has a boost guage but it reads +/- .5 1.0 and 1.5. what is this? so far the turbo has only gone up to 1.0.

Welcome to the club!

Subaru's are natorious for the turbo to not kick in until 4000rpms it's just the way they are, and all turbos are like that they have to spool before you get power not like superchargers where you get the power instantlly.

As far as the goost gauge goes I don't know either I drove one once and it had it but I wasn't watching it when I was driving because I had to watch the road because I wanted to see how fast the car was. lol

Welcome!
    Turbo's so often have a bit of lag. In general a boost controller will help the turbo spool faster by withholding pressure sent to the springloaded wastegate until the set pressure reached (with a springloaded wastegate, it will start to open prior to reaching that set boost pressure, slowing the rate at which the boost builds up, effectively creating more lag). I highly recommend searching the net for a guide/informational about turbos. I learned a ton from reading the Integra G2 bees and goats guide and from other info posts on forums.

Also, i believe the factory Subaru boost gauge measures in bars.
    1 Bar is atmospheric pressure just under 15psi. At atmospheric pressure is 0 psi of boost. So +1 BAR would be about 15psi of boost. Most people seem to agree that the factory subaru boost gauge is not as accurate as a tuner/enthusiast would want and would recommend getting a quality after market gauge that measures in PSI.

thanks for the info. I knew that turbos were a little slower to get pressure but I didnt know it was going to be this bad. sometimes the auto should downshift earlier than it does to keep pressure up.

any thoughts on the exhaust? some of the up and down pipes are really cheap but still look decent.

also about the stage 2 download I have seen the cable on tactrix but what do you use with it?

Ill tell you what making the 5.0 mustang faster is much easier but I wanted a 4 door.

Quote Originally Posted by b1ackhawk View Post

Also, i believe the factory Subaru boost gauge measures in bars.
    1 Bar is atmospheric pressure just under 15psi. At atmospheric pressure is 0 psi of boost. So +1 BAR would be about 15psi of boost. Most people seem to agree that the factory subaru boost gauge is not as accurate as a tuner/enthusiast would want and would recommend getting a quality after market gauge that measures in PSI.
    That's what thought but wasn't sure. I also did an oline conversion from bar to boost and 1 bar is equal to roughly 14.5psi, so it sounds right on when you hit 1bar in the stock WRX

Quote Originally Posted by 41922 View Post
    thanks for the info. I knew that turbos were a little slower to get pressure but I didnt know it was going to be this bad. sometimes the auto should downshift earlier than it does to keep pressure up.

any thoughts on the exhaust? some of the up and down pipes are really cheap but still look decent.

also about the stage 2 download I have seen the cable on tactrix but what do you use with it?

Ill tell you what making the 5.0 mustang faster is much easier but I wanted a 4 door.
    My opinion on the exhaust would be to pass on the ebay no name stuff. You dont have a $1000 beater, you have prob a $10K+ nice performance car. But thats not the only reason.
    When you are turbo, you have to be very calculated with your mods. Any mod that changes the air/fuel dynamics, will most likely require a ecu tuning change or something else. In the case of exhaust, catback exhaust for example, you can get boost creep with an inappropriate setup. Changes in airflow, for example, will require change in fuel maps for efficient use and power gain and reliability. I would recommend going with a staged kit from a reputable tuner such as Cobb. You can get effective gains from a simple ECU re-flash in a stage 1 system. Cobb's stage 2 is a combination of mods including a deep exhaust.
    You are correct in that modding a subaru/turbo car is much different than a Mustang. ( I used to be a big GM guy so I can relate to the differences in modding) However, I enjoy the vastly superior quality in Japanese vehicles, better residual value, and overall superior refinement. And while some basic bolt ons are comparatively more expensive on a turbo car, it's not really an apples to apples comparison. You will find on a turbo car, thru the right modifications you can get gobs of power increases. On a N/A car you would most likely have to spend much more to get similar performance gains.

ok what about these boost controllers on there too? or the light weight crank pulley. isnt the crank pulley also the balancer too?

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Tuning: Electronic Engine Management << Good reading.

Boost controllers are not a great add on, rather some form of engine management along with an aftermarket turbo back exhaust. That is what stage 2 is. A catless up pipe will bring on the boost about 500 RPMs sooner - this is the mod for you. A silicone Y hose for the intercooler will help some as well.

A lightened crank pulley is a small but worthwhile add on. The stock bit does not act as a balancer.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.