Kind Of A Stupid Question.... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Kind Of A Stupid Question.... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by steverasman So then will anyone tell me how the whole stage 2 works yet? They reflash your ...

Quote Originally Posted by steverasman View Post
    So then will anyone tell me how the whole stage 2 works yet? They reflash your timing? What exactly do they do? What are the pros and cons of stage 2 components? Is there some other thread that i can read that has all the answers already? Yeah im just a lost little sheep trying to make my way in this world of computer cars these days.
    It's basically tuning the motor to run with it's new more efeicient exhaust system. I wouldn't be too concerned with reliability, there are a LOT of stage 2 cars that have put on quite a few miles with no real issues.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by needavdub View Post
    It's basically tuning the motor to run with it's new more efeicient exhaust system. I wouldn't be too concerned with reliability, there are a LOT of stage 2 cars that have put on quite a few miles with no real issues.
    with 101k on the motor tho? Someone told me it was still young for a subie, any truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by spike93 View Post
    with 101k on the motor tho? Someone told me it was still young for a subie, any truth to this?
    Ive got 81K on mine and its running just fine.
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

I ran into a thread a while ago that said you should replace your up-pipe (if it had the 'extra' catalytic converter or something) with Stage 2 parts or even just an ECU reflash because it is possible that the cat could break and mess up the turbo. How true is this?

it seems to be a common worry... although the 06+ years come without a cat in the up-pipe...
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    TBE + engine management

EM modifies things like boost, a/f ratio, etc.

Pros: more power
    Cons: less life (not necessarily is your car going to break, but it's working harder than it's designed for)
    Ok starting to make more sense now, i thought TBE met Turbo back exhaust

And In what ways is it making the car work harder? Higher boost? Leaner A/F mixture?
    My emotions, and how my car is currently running are somehow interconnected. I would hate to see how I would react if I totalled it!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ok starting to make more sense now, i thought TBE met Turbo back exhaust

And In what ways is it making the car work harder? Higher boost? Leaner A/F mixture?

TBE = Turbo Back Exhaust
    EM = Engine Managment ("tune")

Starting from the turbo, the stock exhaust has a cat in the downpipe and one in the midpipe. These are typically both replaced by a single aftermarket pipe called a downpipe (required for stageII), preferably with a high flow cat. The rest of the exhaust is the cat-back, and it is not really necessary for stage II. Also replacing the stock uppipe if it has a cat (earlier years) is good measure and very nice performance gains there too.

Once you have the DP replaced you can flash a stage II map with the EM of your choice. This will increase the boost, but will generally stay on the rich side if you use a generic map.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    you forgot to mention a downpipe in your list, which is essential to flash to stage 2.

anyway, as per the cobb website, if you flash to stage 2 with a TBE you should be expecting:

for an 02/03: 285 hp/285 tq
    for an 04/05:285 hp/285 tq
    for and 06/07: 285hp/340 tq

and skip out on the MBC. you dont need it.
    notice it's "HP" and not "WHP".. the big numbers open eyes, but the real-world feel is nowhere near 285. Stg2 on an 02/03 is closer to 230-240ish whp.. funny how the Stg2 on an 06/07 (2.5L) is the same as the 02/05 (2.0L), per Cobb..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

So what is the difference between an up pipe and a down pipe? The down pipe is what is directly after the turbo? Lets say i wanna replace the down pipe and just have one high flow cat, is this a normal upgrade? What do you do with the rear O2 sensor when you take out the rear cat? And im not to sure about flashing stage two yet, i heard that more boost means your killing your engine. Any truth to this? What about stage 1? What does that involve?
    Last edited by steverasman; 07-19-2008 at 11:30 AM.
    My emotions, and how my car is currently running are somehow interconnected. I would hate to see how I would react if I totalled it!

I Support ClubWRX
    uppipe = pre-turbo
    downpipe = post-turbo
    if you have an 02/05 WRX, your uppipe is catted. changing to an aftermarket DP and more boost will be toying with destruction, as the added heat tends to destroy the UP cat, and shoot it through the turbine impeller.. not good.

If you replace your DP, your rear O2 stays in the cat. If you remove the cat, 'most' "test pipes" and/or downppipes have an o2 bung for retention of the rear one.

you'll be fine with some more boost, as long as your ECU is mapped accordingly.
    I, as many others, ran Stg2 for awhile. I was around 18psi on the stock TD04L, with uppipe and TBE, stg2 flash
    Rogan o_0

Alright so i just went to the COBB tuning website and read about the stage 2 for my 02 WRX. It seemed like a pretty good deal to me, that is until i just read what rogan had to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    uppipe = pre-turbo
    downpipe = post-turbo
    if you have an 02/05 WRX, your uppipe is catted. changing to an aftermarket DP and more boost will be toying with destruction, as the added heat tends to destroy the UP cat, and shoot it through the turbine impeller.. not good.
    I dont want to be putting anything in that will be screwing up my turbo, Is there a map on the Ap that allows me to control the amount of boost? Or can i just replace the stock up pipe to an aftermarket one that can handle the extra heat?
    Last edited by steverasman; 07-19-2008 at 11:54 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    dont get skeer'd..

you'll be fine, just listen/do what we old folks tell ya, and you'll be fine
    Rogan o_0

I Support ClubWRX
    Alright so i just went to the COBB tuning website and read about the stage 2 for my 02 WRX. It seemed like a pretty good deal to me, that is until i just read what rogan had to say.

I dont want to be putting anything in that will be screwing up my turbo, Is there a map on the Ap that allows me to control the amount of boost? Or can i just replace the stock up pipe to an aftermarket one that can handle the extra heat?

Yeah, any aftermarket uppipe will do. I'm not worried about stage II and longevity on my car. IIRC it has been about 20k miles so far, but others have been much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Yeah, any aftermarket uppipe will do. I'm not worried about stage II and longevity on my car. IIRC it has been about 20k miles so far, but others have been much longer.
    Im sure you guys are sick of explaining everything, but whats IIRC? And from the looks of it stage one is just reflashing a new map without the upgrades to your up pipe and downpipe?

I Support ClubWRX
    Im sure you guys are sick of explaining everything, but whats IIRC? And from the looks of it stage one is just reflashing a new map without the upgrades to your up pipe and downpipe?
    IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

Stage I is just that, it runs less boost because of the poor flow through the exhaust. If you look at the stock DP you will see that where the wastegate exits there is a stupid plate in addition to the two restrictive cats.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.