Really New to this :-)

This is a discussion on Really New to this :-) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok so i own a WRX 2002 Wagon, which i love, i haven't modified it. But someday i will get ...

Really New to this :-)

Ok so i own a WRX 2002 Wagon, which i love, i haven't modified it. But someday i will get there. I'm going to put a Turbo timer on it...

Anyways, So i have a question:

Has anyone thought or have put a Hydrogen Gas kit on there car?

I was thinking about putting one on my wrx to make it have more mpg. I was curious if anyone has done this, how they feel about it, the goods, the bads. Ya know the info.

If you all could help me out that would be great.

Thanks
    Kaliegh

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club and congrats on your new purchase. The turbo timer is necessary considering subaru designed the car to be turned off right away without any damage to the turbo. As for the hydrogen gas kit, I haven't even heard of one of those . Sounds a bit interesting though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

well

I just heard about it like 20 minutes ago, and i heard you get like 77% more mpg then with out it, so i was thinking about buying the books that tell ya how much water, how much baking soda. But the down side is ya have to build the thingy yourself (ok im a girl and really don't have a guy clue what im talking about :-)) Anywho ya, thats why i was wondering if anyone knew anything.

welcome to the club!

i heard of the kits before. i'd like to see first hand what they can do. feel free to post more information like how much they cost
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by ajd111 View Post
    The turbo timer is NOT necessary considering subaru designed the car to be turned off right away without any damage to the turbo.

Fixed
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    Raammat Soundproof Thread
    The Octane Thread

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Kaliegh,
    Welcome congrats on getting a Scooby Wagon

actually we were talkin kinda briefly about alternate fuel for scoobies yesterday:
    Could I run my WRX on Chip Fat

I do know in Europe they have a LPG Kit for certain Scoobies:
    Subaru LPG

another member also mentioned using propane:
    gotpropane

Also Subaru has built a Diesel boxer engine , the legacy version is on sale in europe and the diesel engine is set to show up the whole model range and also eventually arrive to the U.S. market:
    Subaru Diesel: boxerdiesel.com

Motor Trend:08 Legacy Diesel test drive: Motor Trend Boxer Diesel
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 06-23-2008 at 10:13 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Mythbusters did a show about alternative fuels and found that the hydrogen thing is a total scam. Propane is not, but I'm not sure the cost of installling/tuning/refilling a propane setup would be substantially cheaper than just sticking with gasoline. Propane injection is usually used on big HP diesels that run <40psi of boost.

Totally good to know. I have been researching more on the subject, but its hard to get a pro or con review on it. And Thanks so much for all of you coming on here and giving me ideas. Its great.! Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have changed my opinion on turbo timers.... They are very useful. Subaru just informed me that they now strongly recommend changing oil every 3000 miles (this is now the only car newer than 1999 that I have owned that didn't recommend 7000 miles) even though the owners manual says 7500miles.

The reason - while the turbo is oil cooled, the oil is greatfully helpful in prolonging the turbo life. However, the turbo is essentially "cooking" the oil, and since the car isn't running, the oil isn't flowing so it ends up burning.

A Turbo Timer would help alleviate the cool-down and not burn the oil.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I have changed my opinion on turbo timers.... They are very useful. Subaru just informed me that they now strongly recommend changing oil every 3000 miles (this is now the only car newer than 1999 that I have owned that didn't recommend 7000 miles) even though the owners manual says 7500miles.

The reason - while the turbo is oil cooled, the oil is greatfully helpful in prolonging the turbo life. However, the turbo is essentially "cooking" the oil, and since the car isn't running, the oil isn't flowing so it ends up burning.

A Turbo Timer would help alleviate the cool-down and not burn the oil.
    Where is your proof that a turbo timer makes any difference in oil life? Just because Subaru recommends a few seconds of idling before you shut off the car does not mean you need to run a turbo timer for 2 minutes, let alone spend the couple hundred dollars to have one installed. For the record, there is NOT ONE SINGLE PRODUCTION CAR SOLD IN THE USA that comes equipped with a turbo timer stock. If they were necessary, this would not be the case.

If you use anything other than garbage oil, your turbo is not going to coke it....good motor oil is designed to hold up to extended high temperatures and the Subaru turbo system has never been accused of coking oil by any serious professional racing shop or tuning shop.