New to the forum, considering 02-03 WRX

This is a discussion on New to the forum, considering 02-03 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, new to Subie's and this forum. Currently I have a 95 Lexus SC400 and a 93 Integra GS ...

New to the forum, considering 02-03 WRX

Hi everyone, new to Subie's and this forum. Currently I have a 95 Lexus SC400 and a 93 Integra GS (5spd) thats my daily driver. Being a married guy now, I'm considering replacing my 200K+ perfectly running Integra with a 02-03 WRX. My wife has a civic coupe, making us a family of coupes, and I admit that there are times a 4 door would be very convenient.
    I really like the newer Legacy GT's, but I being newly married, I definitely don't want to put any possible undue financial strain upon us. From my research an 02-03 WRX can be had for approx 50-65% of a nice 04-05 Legacy GT w/ manual tranny. I may be a married man w/ a bit more practicality in mind, but I'm still an enthusiast at heart and want something fun to drive.
    I am a loyal Honda/Toyota fan. Mainly because of their reliability and high residual values. Subaru has been getting much improved reviews in that past several years, giving them my consideration.
    I've been trolling around for a few days on a number of sites gathering info. I have heard that the 02 WRX's have a weaker trans, reading on wikipedia i noticed 03's recieved stronger gearing which may add some truth to that claim. I will be looking for more info on that as well as what the capabilities of the 02 tranny are, at what point does reliability become an issue.
    Also will be looking in general as to the overall reliability of the vehicle and what common problems to look for specific to 02-03 WRX.
    I'll be searching and trolling, any comments, suggestions, or info is certainly welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!

I just sold my 1990 Corolla (247,000) for a 04WRX.

Man I miss the gas millage, but thats it.

I hear you with the family..congrats on the marriage!

I have 4 kids and am 40 years old, and will tell you that the Wagons (imo) are the perfect family vehicle.

but beware, you will quickly find yourself looking at the car as more yours than ours...trust me.

You have room for the kids (although you will insist on taking your wifes car when you go out with them).

Seriously look at a 04 or newer, there are lots of good deals and even a few unmodified and not run into the ground.

Good luck!

Mr. V

I Support ClubWRX
    A stock/unmolested LGT is going to be easier to find than a WRX, especially a bugeye ('02/'03)

I'd say spend the $$ to get the LGT
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

depending where you are from you can find a good use unmolested 03 wrx for less than $12K. Here in colorado you will find a lot more wrx 4sale than a Legacy GT. GL, its a great family car/DD/ spirited driving and whatever else you can think of.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

Ok so,

I used to own a Ford zx3 hints my name, cause its my email...Anyways I bought a Bugeyed subaru wrx wagon with 65,000 miles on it for 11k.

And at first i had to be talked into buying it, but let me tell you...Im a subaru girl for life lol. I love it, it gets it when it needs to. I defintetly take good care of it. I will never go back to a damn ford.

My parents at first were pissed i bought it, but now my dad has traded in his vehicle for a subaru.

There amazing.

Just thought i'd share my story.

Wowzers!

Ok, I called my insurance company for quotes on WRX and Legacy GT.
    HOLY CRAP!
    Comparable insurance is more than on my SC400 and Integra combined!!!
    The Legacy GT being slightly less than the WRX.
    No wonder I see a million WRX's for sale.
    I don't think people in the market for a 20K-30K performance sedan can afford to pay more on insurance than it would be for a 50-80K car.
    Absolutely Insane.
    I might as well save some money and get a high line vehicle.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

*UPDATE*
    Ok apparently its more expensive for me to ensure
    a WRX than any Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini or Aston Martin.
    Something about cost factor, high repair cost and high liability.
    If repair cost is that high, Sube really needs to work on this with insurance companies.

Word... I'm new to this forum too and just got my stock WRX last May. And I had to pay $90 more dollars on my insurance, and I drove a 98 Mercedes C230. So yeah, insurance is crazy... Not to mention it's not the most fuel efficient car out there. But I DO admit that it's one hell of a fun drive. I've driven a lot of stock vehicles, and by far, this is the best equipped stock car I've driven.

Quote Originally Posted by b1ackhawk View Post
    Ok, I called my insurance company for quotes on WRX and Legacy GT.
    HOLY CRAP!
    Comparable insurance is more than on my SC400 and Integra combined!!!
    The Legacy GT being slightly less than the WRX.
    No wonder I see a million WRX's for sale.
    I don't think people in the market for a 20K-30K performance sedan can afford to pay more on insurance than it would be for a 50-80K car.
    Absolutely Insane.
    I might as well save some money and get a high line vehicle.