Thinking of buying a WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Thinking of buying a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys! I was looking into buying a 2006 WRX, but am still a little unsure as to whether I ...

Thinking of buying a WRX

Hey guys! I was looking into buying a 2006 WRX, but am still a little unsure as to whether I should or not. I currently own a 2007 Supercharged Civic Si, but im looking for something thats a little roomier and has AWD. The AWD would be great to have in these lovely NY winters! Just wondering how all of you are liking your cars after the purchase and whether you think it would be a worthy trade? Thanks!

What I have now:

What I would get(pic of members ride, but the same thing I am looking for):

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow that things nice.
    My buddy has a Civic SI but it's not supercharged.

Stock vs stock I would have to go wrx just because of turbo/awd.

I'd have to say go test drive one and see how you like the power curve and handling on it.

How you like the view in the drivers seat with that mean hood scoop.

stuff like that. Test drive it to make shure you don't regret.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good. Where in NY you from?

Quote Originally Posted by Acrdys
    How you like the view in the drivers seat with that mean hood scoop.
    The '06 hood scoop isn't really that "mean" if you ask me, but '04/'05 STi hood scoop, on the other hand ...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I moved from an SI (not supercharged) to my 07 WRX. I had a little buyers regret right after getting it, basically because my wife really liked the looks of the SI better then the WRX. The WRX is a drivers car though, it drives well shifts well, and well when winter time rolled around it was pure love! It's a change from the SI, and until you put in better sway bars the SI will actually do better in cornering. The WRX responds better to minor upgrades more then the SI, but you have to be careful of the tranny, because it is a AWD car.

I'd say the WRX is not for everyone, I'd do a test drive, see what you think. It's a great car, reliable, fun to drive, and a total dream in winter. Good luck with your search!

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    This is the first car I have owned and loved. Like others say though, its not for everyone. Civics ride "nicer" and have nicer interiors with less road noise. The WRX is rough on the road (though not as bas as the STI) and has lots of road noise. My car is 1 year old with 18K miles on it (like I said, I love it) - I bought it with 36 miles on it. Starting around 10K miles, I began hearing rattles. Also, the stock stereo is really awful. I have the limited wagon - so it has the upgraded stereo (double din with 6disc changer/mp3 player) - but it still is awful in comparison to the stock Ford Focus stereo I came from.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Yeah road noise, rattles, ghastly stereo, rides like a plank. But, when it snows, and I walk outside to go to work and everyone else is shoveling their cars out....that's when it shines. Not to mention, I've actually had a guy say to me at the gas pump "That's a pretty cool hot rod you got there"......gotta luv the scoop.
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

Nice Si, I'm guessing you are running a Jackson Racing blower on it? Coming from a 99' Si with a blower to an Evo and now a Suby I would say you wouldn't be disappointed. It is roomier, better handling and frankly I prefer turbo over supercharged. Test drive one and you'll understand. Good luck!
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post

The '06 hood scoop isn't really that "mean" if you ask me, but '04/'05 STi hood scoop, on the other hand ...

haha +1 it looks huge from inside

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Civics ride "nicer" and have nicer interiors with less road noise. The WRX is rough on the road (though not as bas as the STI) and has lots of road noise.
    Umm try different tires? Only thing in my STI I hear is the turbo (very faint). It does ride stiff however, because its supposed to, its practically a race car.

Also, the stock stereo is really awful. I have the limited wagon - so it has the upgraded stereo (double din with 6disc changer/mp3 player) - but it still is awful in comparison to the stock Ford Focus stereo I came from.
    Stereo or speakers?
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Tires are fine... Most WRX owners complain about road noise.

Stereo in general is awful. I added the OEM sub - which made it a little better. Still, it isn't very loud, and distorts at fairly low volumes. I had a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the Bose stereo - the Subi stereo is just not even in the same league.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Tires are fine... Most WRX owners complain about road noise.

Stereo in general is awful. I added the OEM sub - which made it a little better. Still, it isn't very loud, and distorts at fairly low volumes. I had a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the Bose stereo - the Subi stereo is just not even in the same league.
    I can agree with you on the stereo it is kinda crappy but whatever when the speakers blow I'll replace everything.

I came from a kswapped civic and hondas in general. I do love it though its a great car much slower than the hatch in a straight line but,and my hatch actually handled better but my wrx is stock and I have driven an sti with similar suspension mods to what I had in my civic and I can tell you with confidence that with swaybars and coilovers the wrx will wipe the floors with the civic in the turns. I have had fwd rwd and now awd cars and have always liked to oversteer and with my wrx its effortless to control. I really enjoy driving the car like a civilized human being too, I really enjoy this car so I would definately reccommend a test drive there's no commitment, just drive one thats all.

Tmann you get everywhere mate

I would have to agree with Tmann.

If you want something thats easy on the ears and on the cheeks of your arse buy a Chrsyler or something.

If you want killer handling clean in to the apex and exits with lots of grip and lots of noise (espiecally in my car ) then Scoobys have to be on the menu.

Theres is quite a lot of variation between the WRX and STI in the states. But one thing is for sure put these up against pretty much anything else on the track and they'll be beating most things upto 6 figures money wise
    Classic Crew #01
    "When life passes you by in a flash you know you have been Scoobied
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

I recently just bought an 08 WRX and let me tell you I couldn't be happier. I'm so happy I went with it. If you get one you won't regret it. Like everybody said the stereo isn't the greatest but then again I didn't get it for that. I love the car and def don't regret getting rid of my old car.

Eond of another day at work so of home now hopefully catch up tomorrow
    Classic Crew #01
    "When life passes you by in a flash you know you have been Scoobied
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

Yeah, Ive gotta find one that I can test drive...none of the local dealerships have 06's. Im looking for something thats not so limited..hp+fwd=fail AWD will be great in the winter as well seeing as I live on a big hill and go to college on a big hill.
    Last edited by Nikeman; 06-15-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast