WRX Question

This is a discussion on WRX Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello I am thinking about puchasing a WRX and I was wandering how hard they are to work on because ...

WRX Question

Hello I am thinking about puchasing a WRX and I was wandering how hard they are to work on because the turbo is on the side? opposed to other cars. I also was wandering how difficult it is to mod this car with sti upgrades? Are WRX upgrades expensive? Would it be better to just buy the STI for 20k or buy a WRX for 12k and put 8k into it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KJ THE KILLA View Post
    Hello I am thinking about puchasing a WRX and I was wandering how hard they are to work on because the turbo is on the side? opposed to other cars. I also was wandering how difficult it is to mod this car with sti upgrades? Are WRX upgrades expensive? Would it be better to just buy the STI for 20k or buy a WRX for 12k and put 8k into it?
    You'd be better off USING THE SEARCH LIKE THE NOOB YOU ARE!

The STI is ultimately the better purchase as it will have a superior transmission and larger engine as well as the premium rims and appearance along with the better residual value as compared to the WRX.

The five speed in the WRX is notoriously weak by reputation. In practice there are quite a few people with significantly upgraded WRX's that are still driving on the 5-speed however they would be the first to tell you that you have to be nice to the 5-speed.

When I purchased my WRX, I intended to leave it stock. Had I known the amount of money I was going to spend in mods - I likely would have opted for an STI instead.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

ty

Ya that's kind of what i was thinking. The cheapest STI's are like 20k right? Should I go with the STI or the evo MR or maybe even an srt-4...i like awd though? Are the subarus more difficult to work on ? someone told me the engine is on its side or something? I here evo's are better? and easier to work on?
    Last edited by KJ THE KILLA; 06-12-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Ya that's kind of what i was thinking. The cheapest STI's are like 20k right? Should I go with the STI or the evo MR or maybe even an srt-4...i like awd though? Are the subarus more difficult to work on ? someone told me the engine is on its side or something? I here evo's are better? and easier to work on?

STI all the way man. Yes with taking your time searching for one you could get an STI for 20k. I got my 04 for $21,600 with 18k miles and I've had it for 11 days and I love it. And I've seen an 05 go for 19k. Just be patient and buy a stock one. If you are looking at 06-08's they are a bit more pricey. If you take the time to learn about where the parts are located at on subaru's, you will be able to do things yourself. I plan on changing my own oil and fluids. Subaru's are costly to have worked on, and if I was to take it to have it worked on, it would be at a subaru dealership with professional mechanics.
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

I've been in the auto repair biz for a while...22 years...and I must say..subarus are pretty easy to work on when it comes to basic maintenance...all the accessories are on top(p.s.,alt,and a/c comp)spark plugs are on the side's,but not hard to do....fuel filter is right next to the left front strut tower..timing belt's are in the front with a good amount of front clearance for access...as opposed to say an evo or an srt where they are mounted sideways,close to the inner fender...

Quote Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post
    STI all the way man. Yes with taking your time searching for one you could get an STI for 20k. I got my 04 for $21,600 with 18k miles and I've had it for 11 days and I love it. And I've seen an 05 go for 19k. Just be patient and buy a stock one. If you are looking at 06-08's they are a bit more pricey. If you take the time to learn about where the parts are located at on subaru's, you will be able to do things yourself. I plan on changing my own oil and fluids. Subaru's are costly to have worked on, and if I was to take it to have it worked on, it would be at a subaru dealership with professional mechanics.
    where i live (NY) 04 STI's are about 23-25k...and 05's are a little more expensive.....i rather get an sti because it looks nicer and comes with alot more than a wrx and you wont have to worry about the tranny.....i have an 05 sti tranny in my 02 wrx and its pretty strong so i would say just get the sti....also the evo's interior is plain, i been in evo, sti, and srt4 acr edition.....its really up to you, evo n sti are really good cars......as for srt4's i think that they are just fast but not as reliable......

How do you get into racing wrc? i recently started an Offroad shop and i have a couple race teams that race on track/dirt, but i really want to get into racing wrc.

ty

thanks you guys are pretty helpful... one part of me says go with the "wrx" pay cash and have a nice car and no car payment. but then there's the other part that's like STI all the way badass... with the high car payment and higher insurance... the plus about the sti is that i don't even have to mod it to smoke wrx and srt'4 up and down the freeway. How hard is it to do a turbo upgrade in the sti? it already has a bigger engine and gear box? I'm such a noob But I appreciate your guys help/

Hello and welcome to the club, I would have to agree with all. I am currently drving a classic Jap Import but having driven a 05 STI I would say defo spend a bit extra.

I am on the look for a STI just like the Mann ( Tmann ) hopefully won't be that long.

The change in suspension setup and drive is a lot different as well, and a new suspension setup upgrade etc is not cheap in the UK £2K for a decent TEIN setup
    Classic Crew #01
    "When life passes you by in a flash you know you have been Scoobied
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

I recently bought JDM 2004 WRX Limited for $23500 with only 5k miles on it. Feels like new car.

My opinion that WRX should be stock. If you want faster/better car - just go for STI instead of killing WRX with engine/tranny mods.

Two years ago i was in the same dilemma as you are in, I went with the 03 rex and i love the car but if i could go back i would go with the 05 sti. my hobby is working on the car and other cars, so if you want to do the work. but if you dont the extra money is worth it to get the sti. you can always mod the sti too.

ty

ya I want a sti pretty bad... do all car with turbos have to take 91 grade fuel? the only reason i question buying this subi is because it doesn't have great gas mileage? and if it doesn't have great mpg and i have to pay 20 cents more to the gallon... i'm questioning it..? but a sick ass sti could be worth it.

ya I want a sti pretty bad... do all car with turbos have to take 91 grade fuel? the only reason i question buying this subi is because it doesn't have great gas mileage? and if it doesn't have great mpg and i have to pay 20 cents more to the gallon... i'm questioning it..? but a sick ass sti could be worth it.
    If you're looking for good gas mileage, an STi is not for you.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

im tell you once you drive a wrx or sti you will never want to buy anything else! The next car im getting is a sti! Its the price to pay for luxury man! Who cares about gas mph the price will go down once we get a new president!

it really depends on how you drive the car...my car can go from 19 mpg down to as low as 13 mpg......i say just get the sti