Newb with an A/C issue

This is a discussion on Newb with an A/C issue within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, new to the boards, but not new to being a forum junkie. I've got an '02 WRX Wagon, ...

Question Newb with an A/C issue

Hi all, new to the boards, but not new to being a forum junkie.

I've got an '02 WRX Wagon, and I'm having an issue with the A/C. It's not turning on. Back in '06 I had the condenser replaced, which had a leak in it. The shop originally charged the system with dye, and found the leak that way. Got the part brand new from Subaru, and everything was hunky-dory. During the winter last year, I hit the AC button to run the compressor for a while, just to keep the oil coat on the parts, as I tend to do from time to time. Nothing happened. No engine lag, no RPM increase, nothing. The button LED came on, but no cold air. I tried again recently now that it's starting to get warm, and the same issue popped up. The fuse isn't blown, and I didn't see anything visually wrong.

Now I'm not green when it comes to getting my hands dirty on a car, but I'm not exactly a mechanic, either. I'd like to make sure that I'm looking at the correct parts #1, and that #2 if there's anything I can check without special tools or gauges, code readers, etc.

If anyone has a repair manual, or knows a link, that would also be helpful. Thanks!

-pfs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well if the compressor is not kicking on, first thing that should come to mind is that the freon has leaked out. So unfortunally back to the drawing board to locate the leak, or to determine if there is no leak. Maybe want to try a new shop.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Would that actually prevent it from turning on though? I figured it would spin and eventually overheat maybe.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I guess my first action would be to follow voltages (I am an electrical engineer). What are the voltages seen at the compressor pump. It is possible you aren't even sending the "turn on" signal.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

If there is no freon charged into the system, it will NOT kick on.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Weird, I don't think I ever knew that.

As far as the electrical goes, I was hoping to get around to checking voltages this weekend at some point. I have the wiring diagram from the manual, but it's not real clear as to where the points actually are, since there's no visualization. Anyone have pics for locations? Or maybe a free Chilton's?