New Clubwrx.net member!

This is a discussion on New Clubwrx.net member! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone! I recently received a 2005 WRX sedan for a graduation present. I figured that joining the best WRX ...

New Clubwrx.net member!

Hello everyone! I recently received a 2005 WRX sedan for a graduation present.

I figured that joining the best WRX club on the internet was a good idea.

I am not modding the engine, but I am doing the following aesthetic upgrades to it in the near future:

Painting & decaling the calipers (I ordered some G2 paint off of ebay)

Tinting the tail lights (Rvinyl kit, going to make it look great!)

Removal of orange plastic in the headlights

So far, I love my WRX. I drove a 97' Volvo station wagon previously, so this (especially manual) is awesome. For some of the senior WRX guys out there, do you have any tips when it comes to maintaining my car? I am dedicated to keeping it in great running order. I was told by a senior Subaru mechanic to change the oil every 3k and keep it up to date with scheduled maintenance and it should last a while. I plan to make good on that as it is my car going through college.

I hope I can learn some valuable things here and become part of the community.

Eric
    Broomfield, Colorado
    2005 Silver WRX
    Premium Package (all else stock)

"Fortune favors the brave."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!!

Make sure to change the oil at the regulary scheduled 3K miles, and change all the other fluids at there suggested mileage as well. Congrats on picking up an awesome car!
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

I use full synthetic oil and change my oil every 6,000 miles or every 6 months, but I guess it's up to you. Post some pictures of your car. Welcome to the club!

Okay, here are a few. After I picked up my WRX, my friend who recently joined this club also picked up a white and gold STI. We detailed our cars and took them to the roof of the one of Boulder's Park & Rides on an empty Sunday.

(These pictures are downsized to 4/12 quality from Photoshop CS2, I am still looking for a picture site that will let me host the original 4meg high res pictures)

Anyway, I ordered G2 Caliper paint in bright rally blue with high heat resistance custom WRX caliper decals. Should look bad ass!
    Broomfield, Colorado
    2005 Silver WRX

Just debadged the trunk. Man does it look good. Looking forward to putting the JDM Subaru decal on there!
    Broomfield, Colorado
    2005 Silver WRX

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There is absolutely positively NO reason to change oil every 3000 miles. Unless you are driving on complete dirt roads everyday, all you are doing is wasting oil. This line of thinking isn't helping the oil costs at all.

The Subaru manual recommeds every 7500 miles - longer if synthetic is used.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I work at a Subaru and Acura dealership in Boulder, Colorado. The senior mechanic there, who disassembles and reassembles all of the engines there told me to change it ever 3k. Also, since I bought it through them, they give me 5$ oil changes for the life of the car. pretty sweet deal!

Also, I heard that WRXs burn oil, and I should check the dipstick whenever I tank up. Does anyone else do this?
    Broomfield, Colorado
    2005 Silver WRX

Peachypumpkincheeks

Okay, I'm a few days late to the party, but Hello! And welcome to the best WRX club in the universe*.

Congrats on attaining a sexy wrxy, and so far your car looks great! Love the wheels. I think taking out the amber plastics in the headlights is a fantastic idea. I did in mine and clear is definitely the way to go.

I also get my oil changed every 3000-3500 miles (2002 WRX). Waiting until 7500 miles on a used car seems way too long. But I'm not a mechanic, what do I know.

*Results may vary.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nvrsummer89 View Post
    I work at a Subaru and Acura dealership in Boulder, Colorado. The senior mechanic there, who disassembles and reassembles all of the engines there told me to change it ever 3k. Also, since I bought it through them, they give me 5$ oil changes for the life of the car. pretty sweet deal!

Also, I heard that WRXs burn oil, and I should check the dipstick whenever I tank up. Does anyone else do this?
    I stand corrected... I had to bring my car in for new rotors, and the mechanic noticed the oil was fairly dark. He said Subaru just recently issued a letter to owners (though I can't remember getting it) stating that they are seeing premature turbo failures on cars where the oil was not changed every 3750 miles. This is very frustrating... He said my warranty and extended warranty are backed if I change every 7500 miles - but he is personally seeing the failures after low mileage on the later model-year cars.

Now I am thinking there may be a need for a turbo timer. The main culprit is the oil sitting in the turbo just burning once the car is shut off.

Welcome.

Just keep an eye on it from time to time.

Some check it every fill up, I don't. But it cant hurt.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Go to my cardomain page. Its at the bottem of this page. I have a 2005 PSM wrx. I am wingless though. Anywyas on my cardomain page look at page 1 for kind of newer pix and page 2 when it was pretty much stock
    Previous owner of Rubie a 2005 WRX
    New owner of Molly a 2009 WRX
    Rally armor UR FTW/Red tail light mod w/insert
    **Catback in 2 months!

Everyone seems pretty nice so far. This is a good forum.

I am ordering an aluminum WRX billet from fastwrx.com for the front (to cover up those ugly holes), and a Japanese WRX "Subaru" decal for the trunk of my car now that it's debadged.

Has anyone used G2 caliper paint? It was the best stuff I found. 37.00$, and I got blue. I also ordered some white WRX decals from xenonmods.com, should make my car stand out some!

In the next week or so I am going to have a friend help me remove the inserts. In my state (CO), I heard it is illegal to have no orange/yellow bulbs in your headlight turn signal lights. I have also heard you can purchase clear bulbs that illuminate orange that look good.

any tips or ideas? I am going to make sure there is no moisture in the headlights before I seal them, I am reading up on it here.

As far as performance upgrades, I don't have the bank rolls or motivation. I am however getting an SPT turbo heat shield, and as it was mentioned above the turbos get hot and hurt the rest of the engine.

New pics tomorrow after my tail lights get tinted! I got 67% dark smoke tint from Rvinyl.com. I am covering my entire tail lights except the circle portion near the the trunk.
    Broomfield, Colorado
    2005 Silver WRX

Super_HKS, your car looks great. How did you remove the front Subaru logo? It looks a lot better that way.
    Broomfield, Colorado
    2005 Silver WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nvrsummer89 View Post
    Everyone seems pretty nice so far. This is a good forum.

I am ordering an aluminum WRX billet from fastwrx.com for the front (to cover up those ugly holes), and a Japanese WRX "Subaru" decal for the trunk of my car now that it's debadged.

Has anyone used G2 caliper paint? It was the best stuff I found. 37.00$, and I got blue. I also ordered some white WRX decals from xenonmods.com, should make my car stand out some!

In the next week or so I am going to have a friend help me remove the inserts. In my state (CO), I heard it is illegal to have no orange/yellow bulbs in your headlight turn signal lights. I have also heard you can purchase clear bulbs that illuminate orange that look good.

any tips or ideas? I am going to make sure there is no moisture in the headlights before I seal them, I am reading up on it here.

As far as performance upgrades, I don't have the bank rolls or motivation. I am however getting an SPT turbo heat shield, and as it was mentioned above the turbos get hot and hurt the rest of the engine.

New pics tomorrow after my tail lights get tinted! I got 67% dark smoke tint from Rvinyl.com. I am covering my entire tail lights except the circle portion near the the trunk.

What is your expectation of replacing the stock heat shield? Are you expecting better performance?

No, I would do it for the fact that more heat absorption would be beneficial to other engine components, a tech told me that the wiring harnesses get heated up and begin to fail faster because of it, but over all since my car's internals are stock it wasn't necessary and the stock heat shield would be fine. I am going to post some pics of my tail light tint in a few hours! It's bad ass.

Also, I removed my headlight parking bulbs. It makes it look slick at night.
    Broomfield, Colorado
    2005 Silver WRX