What makes a WRX an STI ???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What makes a WRX an STI ??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Whats up subaru gods? I come from a world of v8s, blowers and turbos on american cars. I was wondering ...

What makes a WRX an STI ???

Whats up subaru gods? I come from a world of v8s, blowers and turbos on american cars.

I was wondering what makes a WRX an STI (please no retarded answers here, I know the power difference etc etc). I figured an aggressive tune and or a bigger turbo. I've tried to search this out on my own so you guys dont have to answer this.

My main reason for asking is, I plan on modding which ever one I get. So if I buy the WRX and not the STI, can I make it much more powerful than the STI ? (at around the same price it would be to buy the STI or close to) To me the obvious answer is yes.

The other question is it worth the extra money to pay for the STI and mod that instead of the WRX? It seems that a person would be less likely to rape a WRX than an STI so buying one would make me feel better about its current condition. No I am not new to cars and no I would not buy a modded one.

Thank you for your time,
    DragonStang

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If your plans are to mod the vehicle into a fun street car I'd recommend starting with a STI.

The difference's are in short the motor (all STI's have a 2.5 liter while 02-05 WRX's have a 2.0 and 06-08's have a 2.5), the turbo, AVCS (again 06 got this), IC sprayer (not really a huge deal in my book) catless UP (06+ wrx's dont have this either) larger injectors (for the larger turbo), larger intercooler.

The STI has a better tranny which is more likely not to break. The wrx has been plauged with tranny failures since it's arrival in the states. Some say it's due to abuse/power and others think it's purely week. None the less odds are it will become a limiting factor if you plan on modding the car.

The STI has better suspension and brakes.

The interior is debateable. I owned a 06 LTD wrx and would take that interior over my STI any day of the week.

The other things like the Diff's, final drive/gear ratio's, DCCD, and spoiler are all kind of trival for the average person.

Unless your goal is to build a monster of a track car it's probaly best to start with a STI. If you wanted to build some freak car I'd recommend getting a cheap 02 WRX and start the build from there since you'll have less overhead from the start.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I would get an STi to start out with.

I've spent more on my 03 wrx to get it to sti specs than I would if I just bought an sti in the first place (but then again the sti didn't come out at the time).

Start with a wrx, u might get disappointed with the power and add a crap load of things like I did.

start with a sti, you'll have better power, brakes, handling, tranny, wheels, tires, etc etc to start out with and work from there.

Just curious, but why the step over to imports over the domestics?

I Support ClubWRX
    OP your question has been asked many, many times. Albeit sometimes in slightly different forms but many times none the less. The consensus seems to be that 99% of the time it is cheaper and easier in the long run to just buy an STi to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    If your plans are to mod the vehicle into a fun street car I'd recommend starting with a STI.

The difference's are in short
    the motor (all STI's have a 2.5 liter while 02-05 WRX's have a 2.0 and 06-08's have a 2.5), the turbo, AVCS (again 06 got this), IC sprayer (not really a huge deal in my book) catless UP (06+ wrx's dont have this either) larger injectors (for the larger turbo), larger intercooler.

The STI has a better tranny which is more likely not to break. The wrx has been plauged with tranny failures since it's arrival in the states. Some say it's due to abuse/power and others think it's purely week. None the less odds are it will become a limiting factor if you plan on modding the car.

The STI has better suspension and brakes.

The other things like the Diff's, final drive/gear ratio's, DCCD, and spoiler are all kind of trival for the average person.

Unless your goal is to build a monster of a track car it's probaly best to start with a STI. If you wanted to build some freak car I'd recommend getting a cheap 02 WRX and start the build from there since you'll have less overhead from the start.
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    OP your question has been asked many, many times. Albeit sometimes in slightly different forms but many times none the less. The consensus seems to be that 99% of the time it is cheaper and easier in the long run to just buy an STi to begin with.

+1

+1
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
    - W.C. Fields

to the op, it depends on what you really want. if you go stage 2 in a wrx you will be just as fast as a stock sti, or it will be close, but if ur trying fo rmassive hp or performance go with the sti..
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

You guys gave me exactly what I was looking for.

302 - The car will absolutely be modded, the exhaust (how much depends on the car, I've never seen the full system), intake, turbo, and EM systems.

I dont have any idea what the limits are of the block, tranny, or other systems but the 400+ would be the LEAST I would go. (on the STI)

TurnWRX - well the reason for the switch is I want a car that I can put a 200,000 miles on and not worry about it. Also American cars really dont come with turbos, and turbo systems cost at least $6,000 and domestics arent made to have them. Meaning they were not designed to have a turbo therefore wont last as long with one.
    Not to mention any Domestic that gets good MPG is a freakin wus. I've owned my 2007 Sonata (V6 235 hp 5spd auto) for 3-4 months and I have a WHOLE new view on non domestics.

So why not take it up a notch and go from front wheel to all wheel drive, 235 hp to 300 hp.

Not to mention I've ALWAYS wanted a WRX. A freakin rally car turned street car? Hell yeah. Not crazy about the huge wing on the STI but that can and im sure will come off if I get it.

TheJ - I figured the question had been asked a million times. Looks like all signs point to the STI

yeah it definately sounds like you should go for the sti. When you say 400+ do you mean wheel or crank hp? 400whp in a wrx is a pretty big feat and involves a lot of work. IMO the sti is worth it just for the brembo's, bbs', and the bulletproof 6-speed.
    '02 PSM WRX stg 2
    '67 camaro (my dad's, but hopefully one day i can delete these parenthesis)

bugeye mafia #161

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStang View Post

TurnWRX - well the reason for the switch is I want a car that I can put a 200,000 miles on and not worry about it. Also American cars really dont come with turbos, and turbo systems cost at least $6,000 and domestics arent made to have them. Meaning they were not designed to have a turbo therefore wont last as long with one.
    Not to mention any Domestic that gets good MPG is a freakin wus. I've owned my 2007 Sonata (V6 235 hp 5spd auto) for 3-4 months and I have a WHOLE new view on non domestics.

So why not take it up a notch and go from front wheel to all wheel drive, 235 hp to 300 hp.

Not to mention I've ALWAYS wanted a WRX. A freakin rally car turned street car? Hell yeah. Not crazy about the huge wing on the STI but that can and im sure will come off if I get it.

Good luck getting 400 whp from an sti. You can throw reliability and 200k mileage straight out the window. You should've gotten an Evo instead. Not that it would be reliable as well with that kind of power, but it would be far easier and cheaper to make power out of. Even though the sti is turbo'd straight from the factory, the engine wasn't designed to handle an additional 100+ hp and be reliable at the same time. Something will break or wear out much faster than if it was kept stock.

As for the sti wing, it's very easy to trade trunks with a regular wrx. Most wrx drivers would gladly take it off your hands with a straight up trade.

My 04 wrx made me smile. The 04 STI now makes me lol. I guess if I modded the STI the next level would be pants wetting. Start with the STI and I think you will be much, much happier
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Have your drove or atleast rode in a 400 hp all wheel drive car?

Seriously I wouldnt set power goals at this point. Find the car and do some basic power mods once you learn to drive the car. A wrx/sti is going to handle much differently then a Sonata.

If you end up with a STI get some sort of engine management (Cobb is popular) and then a turbo back exhaust. Honestly a Stage 2 STI is more then the average person needs/uses for a street car.

If you want more power after that look into a 20G turbo. Again....much more power then the average person needs.

And there are several American cars that do fine with aftermarket turbo setup's. It's all in the tune and the state of the motor before the application of the system.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

listen to him ^^ try test-driving a stock sti, you'll probably be surprised how quick 300hp is in it.
    '02 PSM WRX stg 2
    '67 camaro (my dad's, but hopefully one day i can delete these parenthesis)

bugeye mafia #161

I heard there is not too much different in the STI engine, more boost but that clsoe to being it (fro the 06-07). The real magic happens in the JDM, pistons are better, etc.

This true? STI is REX on steroids?

about 2 months ago i was is the same boat. do i get a WRX and apply mass mods, or get an STi and go with simple mods.

to avoid uneeded expences and headaches, i just bought an STi and have NO regrets, i love my car. even though im sure id enjoy a WRX.
    Black 2004 WRX STi - BlobEye Syndicate #200
    "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no EVO."
    I'm always looking for Subaru fanatics in the greater Montreal area. If your close, send me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Have your drove or atleast rode in a 400 hp all wheel drive car?

Seriously I wouldnt set power goals at this point. Find the car and do some basic power mods once you learn to drive the car. A wrx/sti is going to handle much differently then a Sonata.

If you end up with a STI get some sort of engine management (Cobb is popular) and then a turbo back exhaust. Honestly a Stage 2 STI is more then the average person needs/uses for a street car.

If you want more power after that look into a 20G turbo. Again....much more power then the average person needs.

And there are several American cars that do fine with aftermarket turbo setup's. It's all in the tune and the state of the motor before the application of the system.
    Stage 2 sti is a ton of power and much more than the average person needs
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.