What makes a WRX an STI ??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on What makes a WRX an STI ??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Here's the way I think about it: STI - if you only plan on doing power mods and, seeing how ...

Here's the way I think about it:

STI - if you only plan on doing power mods and, seeing how you didn't say anything about upgrading the suspension or brakes or anything else except power, I'd imagine that this is the case.

WRX - if you plan on modding pretty much everything on the car including power mods, suspension, brakes, and other goodies. No sense in wasting your money on stuff you'll be replacing anyway. Just be aware that the '02-'05 WRXs come with the 2.0l engine instead of the 2.5l one on the '06+ models.

Hope this helps.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you guys are awesome. the input is fantastic.

Bud - I again was basing my power goal from a v8 and obviously overshot my goal. Which is why I said I didnt know anything about the engine and tranny limits. Though I thought it would be very possible to increase power to at LEAST 400 crank power.

Turn- Is it really that hard to get 400? I dont know, im not being an ass, Im the ignorant one here. I figured upgrade the turbo + fuel system + intake and exhaust flow + engine management would = at least 100 whp if not 150 whp. Obviously I'm wrong? and as far as things breaking, I wouldnt want to push the engine too far, just enough. If you said it could only take 50 whp more safely, thats where i would stop. Hopefully not the case.

Why is the Evo easier to get power out of? I cant find any for sale around me anyways, I thought of buying one.

302 - your right I dont even have the car, I'm way ahead of myself. I have not rode in any awd cars. I'm power hungry in every car though. I would be fine with a stage 2 STI im sure. Dont know what all is involved in the upgrade though.

I know mustangs and other turbo american cars do well but its gonna cost you if your planning on buying a new car + a new turbo system. And add all the engine man and tunes.

oooWRXooo - good to hear, I will be getting an STI hopefully

Jmp2006 - well said

I Support ClubWRX
    FP Green + injectors + fuel pump + FMIC will get you ~350-370whp out of an STi - that'll cost you ~$3-4K
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStang View Post
    Why is the Evo easier to get power out of? I cant find any for sale around me anyways, I thought of buying one.
    From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong guys, it has to do with the different engine types. The Subarus use a flat-4 and the Evos use an inline-4. The inline-4 is able to disipate(sp) heat better, allowing for more agressive tunning.

I was asking myself the same questions to myself right before I got my STi. In the end I chose the STi because I wasn't looking to modify the car too much. I'm Cobb Stg 1 right now and had planned on going Stg 2 this summer (before I found out my gf was pregnant) but that's been put on hold. Definitely drive the cars you're looking at before you buy. That way you can feel the difference in power and handling between the cars.

Good luck with whatever you decide on and welcome to the Subaru Club .... unless you get an Evo ... then welcome to the AWD club

Turn- Is it really that hard to get 400? I dont know, im not being an ass, Im the ignorant one here. I figured upgrade the turbo + fuel system + intake and exhaust flow + engine management would = at least 100 whp if not 150 whp. Obviously I'm wrong? and as far as things breaking, I wouldnt want to push the engine too far, just enough. If you said it could only take 50 whp more safely, thats where i would stop. Hopefully not the case.

400 crank is easier to obtain, but 400 whp is a whole different story. You have to account for like 25% drivetrain loss due to awd. Most stock sti's and evo's on a mustang dyno average in between 220-240 awhp.

I've seen a guy near my area with money to spare, so he went and bought an sti and put all the bells and whistles into it. GT35R turbo, front mount intercooler, built block, etc etc. Made a crap load of power (it was near the 400 whp mark) but the car had problem after problem and became a money pit. All in all, he spent about $90k on the car, realized it was a money pit, and finally put it back to stock and sold the car.

As for the Evo, the engine has been around for a long long time (ever hear of DSMs?) The 4G63 has been around since the Galant VR4's and 1st gen eclipse. Its iron block engine has proven power to make alot of power with minor mods. An Evo with turboback exhaust, cams, and a tune make over 320+whp alone.

But as with any car, anytime u modify a car for more power, the engine's longevity decreases. So if u want 200k miles out of a car, it's best to just leave it stock and keep it well maintained.
    Last edited by TurnWRX; 05-22-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Check this out... I found it to be very cool vid... it answerd all my questions relating to the subject!

YouTube - WRX or STI? - Ignition DVD
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My WRX is my first entry into foreign cars. So far, so good.

Good luck!
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsti View Post
    Check this out... I found it to be very cool vid... it answerd all my questions relating to the subject!

YouTube - WRX or STI? - Ignition DVD
    Very nice find

So what kind of power do stage 1 and stage 2 STI s make? and is there a stage 3?

So what kind of power do stage 1 and stage 2 STI s make? and is there a stage 3?
    Well that kinda depends on which route you go. Here's a sticky from the Nasioc forums that kinda explains why. What is a Stage 2 or Stage whatever package? - NASIOC

Cobb's website has some general numbers, but keep in mind that you might not see the same #'s and or gains. It should give you a general idea though. Cobb Staged Power Packages (click More Images on the right for pics of their dyno results)

Hope that helps a little.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12