New Guy! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Guy! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by nbudros I know how to search, and i figured some one was going to flame me, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by nbudros View Post
    I know how to search, and i figured some one was going to flame me, but I was just asking in MY thread because me and 2 other people where talking back and forth. But its cool ill just search, at least i didnt make a new thread...
    I was simply stating (in a nice way) that if you use the search function you will find out that BOVs are terrible for our cars. The stock on is perfectly fine. Its kind of a "if its not broken, don't try to fix it" deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have been told that Subaru dealers can now detect if you have flashed your car - even if you reflash back to the stock map.

Since there are no eproms on the CPU, I am not sure how this is done. The reflash must slightly alter the checksum in some way. Again, this is rumor only and I don't know first hand. However, the rumor was enough to keep me away from it until my warranty runs out.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I have been told that Subaru dealers can now detect if you have flashed your car - even if you reflash back to the stock map.

Since there are no eproms on the CPU, I am not sure how this is done. The reflash must slightly alter the checksum in some way. Again, this is rumor only and I don't know first hand. However, the rumor was enough to keep me away from it until my warranty runs out.
    I figured if i save for 3 years and get about 3g's together saving minimal money, once my warranties up i drop 3 g's into it and supe it up and have more fun with it. Right now its plenty for me.

xtreme, thank you I found that article...

ajd111, no worries

My car is a Subaru Impreza WRX sti right? Cus a lot of places just have WRX, and mines the sti, so its technically a wrx but not all wrx's are stis right?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yup. there are these models:

subaru impreza (doesnt have a turbo roughly 197 hp i believe)
    subaru impreza WRX (turbo.. roughly 230hp)
    subaru impreza WRX STi (turbo, roughly 300 hp)

those are the 3 different levels. so yes, not all wrx's are sti's

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

My car is a Subaru Impreza WRX sti right? Cus a lot of places just have WRX, and mines the sti, so its technically a wrx but not all wrx's are stis right?
    this question would never be asked b4 by a subaru owner, thank you redesign!!!
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    this question would never be asked b4 by a subaru owner, thank you redesign!!!
    It was just unclear because there was no STi category on some sites and I just wanted to make sure that I need to keep looking before I buy the wrong things.

It was less of an issue with subaru and more of an issue with the website being un clear.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    yup. there are these models:

subaru impreza (doesnt have a turbo roughly 197 hp i believe)
    subaru impreza WRX (turbo.. roughly 230hp)
    subaru impreza WRX STi (turbo, roughly 300 hp)

those are the 3 different levels. so yes, not all wrx's are sti's
    "Subaru Impreza i" has 170hp

It was just unclear because there was no STi category on some sites and I just wanted to make sure that I need to keep looking before I buy the wrong things.

It was less of an issue with subaru and more of an issue with the website being un clear.
    My whole point was subaru used to be an enthusiast thing and everybody who bought the car knew everything about it. Now with the redesign they are targeting the rest i guess, and apparently its working.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    like i said, i wasnt sure. thanks for confirming! haha

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I love my car though, so its all good.

Every enthusiast has to start some where right? My friends all suggested I test drive one, and so I did and I fell in love with it. Im just trying to learn,

Also if i didnt want a 08 i would have gotten an 04, so its not like dont know anything.
    Last edited by nbudros; 05-19-2008 at 02:01 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nbudros
    Also if i didnt want a 08 i would have gotten an 04, so its not like dont know anything.
    Everyone knows '05 is the best year

In all seriousness, though - I got to ride in a Cobb StageI '08 a few months ago, and it was great. I normally don't like hatches, but it was about as quick as my car, and it rode a lot more comfortably.

Enjoy the car
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I love my car though, so its all good.

Every enthusiast has to start some where right? My friends all suggested I test drive one, and so I did and I fell in love with it. Im just trying to learn,

subaru has that affect on people when you drive it, makes u fall in love with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    subaru has that affect on people when you drive it, makes u fall in love with it.
    I drove it, got out of it gave him my card, and my information that i use to sign up for things, sn, and all that stuff and i took it for another ride while he filled out the paper work, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post

Taken from Unibomber's Manifesto.

Can the dealer detect my reflashed ECU (AccessPort/EcuTek/Open Source)?

YES the checksum of the ECU changes.
    YES the dealer can easily read the checksum.

NO the dealer has nothing to compare the checksum against there are many revisions of the WRX ecu they all have different checksums. If the dealer had someway of putting this checksum into a database he COULD verify that the code had been modified but at this time he doesn't.

The 05+ ECU and some of the 04s have the VIN in the ECU code. The current versions of reflashed ECUs only change the tables so the VIN will report when queried.

Bottom line: If you don't want modifications to be detected, don't modify the car.

It's great reading for a new owner. It can be found here > Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.