New member, got some Q's!

This is a discussion on New member, got some Q's! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I want to buy a 2002 Impreza WRX. I was wondering if you guys have any quick tips as to ...

New member, got some Q's!

I want to buy a 2002 Impreza WRX. I was wondering if you guys have any quick tips as to what i should look for in the car, i dont want to buy a lemon! Any help would be great. i love bug eyes and i cant wait to get one. Thanks for all the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

As with any used car, a good inspection is in order. Generally speaking the fewer the mods the better, although it is quite possible a bone stock WRX was not maintained well and / or neglected.

Have a look here: Car Purchasing Forum
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Ok sweet thanks!

The one i found has 90k miles on it...is that a bit much for an 02? And at that mileage what on the car will need to be replaced soon? How much life does the clutch/tranny etc. have if it was just drivin regularly ( no racing ) and has no mods?

Quote Originally Posted by idrum2loud View Post
    Ok sweet thanks!

The one i found has 90k miles on it...is that a bit much for an 02? And at that mileage what on the car will need to be replaced soon? How much life does the clutch/tranny etc. have if it was just drivin regularly ( no racing ) and has no mods?
    90k sounds about right for a car that old. Subarus are known for their longevity so don't worry about having to replace it if it is in good condition. 02/03 are notorious for having "glass trannys" but if the car was taken care of and treated nicely you should be in the clear. As for the stock clutch, I've seen a few scoobs roll past 120k will the stocker if it was driven like a normal person would drive. Make sure that you look into a car with no mods as well, that will increase the longevity of the car and the reliability as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

As others have said, have it inspected by a mechanic you trust. I would figure that with 90k miles on it, you'll need a new clutch some time soon. Also make sure the belts have all been replaced, and get any other service records you can.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I have an 02' and the clutch lasted me till about 100k+. I have put new plugs, cleaned the injectors, and new coil packs. Only had one coil pack go bad but other then that no huge problems with it.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

Quote Originally Posted by idrum2loud View Post
    I want to buy a 2002 Impreza WRX. I was wondering if you guys have any quick tips as to what i should look for in the car, i dont want to buy a lemon! Any help would be great. i love bug eyes and i cant wait to get one. Thanks for all the help!
    You can generally tell if a car has been looked after or not. Take her for a test drive and if you notice some rattles and squeeks she's had a hard life. Also feel the clutch and check how smooth the gear changes are. Listen for engine "knocks". Look for signs of accident repair or rust.

I have an 02 WRX Wagon that I added a factory fitted Prodrive system to. My car has 97000 km's on the clock and besides the Prodrive system she is stock appearance wise and is in showroom condition. Nobody believes me when I tell them the car is now 6 years old!

If the car is in good condition you will enjoy her. For me, the 02 WRX series bug eyes were the best Impreza model Subaru made.
    WRX or the wife? Hmmmmmm..............

Ok well now after all this looking i found an 05..the 02 sold beneath me. I like the 05. Is there anything that makes this one better? I hear 06 is the "best" but thats more $ lol

i have an 05 and love it. The blobeye is the best look IMO and it has the interior that you find in the 06-07's. From what i hear the 06's had crappy engine mounts. Correct me anybody if i am wrong, but the 05 and 06 are basically the same car just with different styling.

The 05 is also a great car.
    WRX or the wife? Hmmmmmm..............

Hi

hi you are welcome