Can anyone recommend a good place to get my clutch replaced?

This is a discussion on Can anyone recommend a good place to get my clutch replaced? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm new as an actual member to the forum, but have done research here before. I've had my '02 wrx ...

Can anyone recommend a good place to get my clutch replaced?

I'm new as an actual member to the forum, but have done research here before. I've had my '02 wrx since day one, but am just recently forced to fend for myself as far as car repairs and maintenance. I just rolled over 100,000 miles and the clutch is about ready to go. Can anyone recommend a good place to go to have it replaced and about what I should be looking to spend? I called the dealer just to see what they would charge me and they said $1576 for parts and labor. It's times like these I wish I knew how to do things like a clutch replacement. Anyhow, I live in Bartlett, IL and am grateful for any info.
    Thanks!
    Jenn

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

there are alot of people in the chicago area that could help you out. its just a matter of finding them unless you want to go to a shop. im not sure how far either of these are from you but P&L and GRD are up there some where. P&L said for a clutch install and resurfacing the flywheels is around 350 i think. i picked up a act street and strip clutch with heavy pressure plate for 550. so give that a shot, better than stock clutch and a hell of alot cheaper than going to a dealership... if you dont want a stock clutch.

You're out of warranty, no reason to look at a dealership.

P&L, AMS, GRD and DS1 are some of our local scoob shops. I can tell you right now that DS1 will most likely come in the cheapest out of all of those. It's a bit of a haul for you, but Dylan will make sure you're taken care of.

thanks to both of you for your replies...I'm very grateful for the advice! I'm checking out P&L tomorrow since Franklin Park is on my way into Chicago. I'll check out DS1 too...I've got some time before the clutch dies. Since the warranty ended a few miles ago, I'm also looking to start modifying...starting with Cobb Tuning AccessPort...any thoughts?
    -jenn

There are alternatives to the AP that are free, like the OpenECU flashes. There are multiple tuners around here you can get with and will give you a custom tune for quite a bit cheaper than the AP where you only get a base map.

Quote Originally Posted by jennspgt View Post
    I'm new as an actual member to the forum, but have done research here before. I've had my '02 wrx since day one, but am just recently forced to fend for myself as far as car repairs and maintenance. I just rolled over 100,000 miles and the clutch is about ready to go. Can anyone recommend a good place to go to have it replaced and about what I should be looking to spend? I called the dealer just to see what they would charge me and they said $1576 for parts and labor. It's times like these I wish I knew how to do things like a clutch replacement. Anyhow, I live in Bartlett, IL and am grateful for any info.
    Thanks!
    Jenn
    They have an Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit for a 2002 WRX on ebay for $160.....i bought mine on ebay too......its alot cheaper and they work perfectly fine......i have an exedy stage 1 for my sti tranny and i only payed 400 (considering that on other websites it was from $500-$800).....and it shoildnt cost more than 300 to get it put on as well
    Last edited by wrx0131; 05-02-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: wrong price