Another new '08, some issues...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Another new '08, some issues... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello lads and lasses, Picked it up Saturday. Base model, hatchback, spark silver. Having a couple of issues: 1. There's ...

Another new '08, some issues...

Hello lads and lasses,

Picked it up Saturday. Base model, hatchback, spark silver.

Having a couple of issues:

1. There's a roaring sort of noise from engine when started from cold. It goes away after a few seconds or immediately if I tap the gas pedal. Is this normal?

2. I'm getting a lot of vibration from the brakes. I thought it was surface rust on the rotors, but it's not getting any better. I spoke with the service manager at the dealership. He said they would probably resurface the rotors. This does not make me happy - I paid $25K for a new car, and do not want half worn rotors already! Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Apart from this, I'm very happy with the car. That 3rd gear acceleration is just awesome!

Cheers,
    A.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome and congrats on your 08 scooby

1.talk to service dept about said "roaring" as its kinda hard to say what or what it isnt from your description.

2.the rotors could have warped after been hot then going thru a car wash
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I've heard the engine noise and high revving after a cold start is an emissions thing, but I might be wrong. My 07 does this. Let it warm up a bit and the noise goes down with the drop in rpms. I'll also give the gas pedal a tap and the car goes to a normal idle.

I Support ClubWRX
    The "roaring" sounds normal.

Ask the dealer if they'll replace your rotors.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I had the same break issue on my new 07. I fought hard to get new rotors, but the dealer said Subaru only covers turning the rotor as the repair. However - they also said that if the rotor wears prematurely, Subaru will replace them.

I was very frustrated at the time. Paying $25K for a car and breaking felt like I was in a '82 Chevette. I am now at 15K miles, and the vibration/pulsing is coming back.

Push for new rotors, I hope you are luckier than I was.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Thanks, guys.

I listened to the cold start noise today with the hood up, it's a sort of growling sound in the area of the ac compressor (which is not running), then there's a definite "psssst" sound, then the noise goes away. Manifold pressure blow off?

mjboudreaux77, when you say "they also said that if the rotor wears prematurely, Subaru will replace them" did they extend your warranty on the rotors? Did they install new brake pads when they turned the rotors? I'm thinking my pads will be chewed up by now.
    Last edited by AdrianC; 04-30-2008 at 07:56 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    Thanks, guys.

I listened to the cold start noise today with the hood up, it's a sort of growling sound in the area of the ac compressor (which is not running), then there's a definite "psssst" sound, then the noise goes away. Manifold pressure blow off?

mjboudreaux77, when you say "they also said that if the rotor wears prematurely, Subaru will replace them" did they extend your warranty on the rotors? Did they install new brake pads when they turned the rotors? I'm thinking my pads will be chewed up by now.
    Yep - they turned the rotors and put new break pads on. No written language on extending the warranty on the rotors, since they aren't warrantied anyway... Your 36 month warranty doesn't cover ANY of the break system, wheels, or battery.

Thought I'd update this thread:

1. The cold start noise is the "smog air pump". It's normal.

2. The brakes were fixed by turning the rotors. I measured them myself, and they took only a very small amount. According to the service manager, the brakes are under warranty for three years, so if I have any other issues they will be fixed. The brakes are great now.

I'm enjoying the car. Gas mileage has dropped to about 20mpg with a lot of short trips lately, but that's not too bad.

A.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    Thought I'd update this thread:

1. The cold start noise is the "smog air pump". It's normal.

2. The brakes were fixed by turning the rotors. I measured them myself, and they took only a very small amount. According to the service manager, the brakes are under warranty for three years, so if I have any other issues they will be fixed. The brakes are great now.

I'm enjoying the car. Gas mileage has dropped to about 20mpg with a lot of short trips lately, but that's not too bad.

A.
    As I predicted... my breaks pulsed again. This time, the dealer had to put new rotors on since they already turned them once. All covered under warranty. I have NOT owned an American car where they would cover rotors this late (I am at 17K miles now).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.