About to buy an 04 WRX!

This is a discussion on About to buy an 04 WRX! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm just about to purchase an 04 Silver WRX Sedan. It only has 53000 miles, and a very low ...

Talking About to buy an 04 WRX!

So I'm just about to purchase an 04 Silver WRX Sedan. It only has 53000 miles, and a very low number of mods (Injen Cold Air Intake, short shifter) which I think is a good thing.

I think the first mod I'll do is stereo, since my ears cry any time I turn up the stereo past volume of 10 or 11... Any recommendations out there? Will a new head unit be enough, or should I opt for a Component System?

Thanks!!

I'll get more pics on here as I take them...

Last edited by RicoWRX; 04-25-2008 at 12:16 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club, Ive got a 2004 silver WRX also, with about the same miles. Its a great car and you will love it. I don't know much about stereos, so can't help you out on that one.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Welcome the encyclopedia of knowledge known as, "clubwrx.net." I have a blue WRX with a Cobb stage 2 setup (Invidia DP, Godspeed exhaust) and absolutely love my car. There are endless possibilities to mod this car. Word to the wise: if you haven't already bought this car, either have the full inspection by an independent mechanic(72 point inspection for $50 or so) or spend the money for the carfax report. Good luck and have safe fun!
    Blob Eye Syndicate #1000

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

I would opt for a 3" diameter stainless steel sound system.

The Injen intake is not the best choice in the WRX as it interferes with airflow sensor readings. The original intake is best.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

I would opt for a 3" diameter stainless steel sound system.

The Injen intake is not the best choice in the WRX as it interferes with airflow sensor readings. The original intake is best.
    I've heard the same thing from another WRX'er, thanks for the advice. The dealer has the stock intake, and I'm going to ask him to 'downgrade' it. I do like the short shifter though

Not so sure about that stainless steel sound system though....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoWRX View Post
    I've heard the same thing from another WRX'er, thanks for the advice. The dealer has the stock intake, and I'm going to ask him to 'downgrade' it. I do like the short shifter though

Not so sure about that stainless steel sound system though....
    I have the OEM short shifter and like it well enough. Stainless steel sound system:

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Ahhh.... that makes a lot more sense ..

(Clearly, I'm a newb to the WRX scene)

I love music too much though to listen to only my engine and exhaust. Although, I must say I love hearing the 'psssssss' of the Turbo

I Support ClubWRX
    Ahhh.... that makes a lot more sense ..

(Clearly, I'm a newb to the WRX scene)

I love music too much though to listen to only my engine and exhaust. Although, I must say I love hearing the 'psssssss' of the Turbo
    I love music as well. When driving with the windows down, especially this time of year on the rural backroads there is nothing better than the mechanical boxer music.
    Mods & Pics

Congrats you'll love it.
    I have a Stage I Blue 04.

As for stereo... a new HU would help a lot as the stock pushes like next to no power.

Components are great if you have the know how and time to do it right.
    Im actually keeping the stock HU just cuz i like the OEM dash look.
    Results in not as good sound for now...but i'll deal.

I did however replace the stock components with a 6.5" 2way....
    the better quality 2way actually sounds much better than the stock components even with the advantage of sound staging you get from components.
    They do however push less low end. the cheap stock speakers are alot easier to push so the low amp OEM HeadUnit can drive bass out of them better than aftermarket speakers.

I'm going to install an OEM sub in a month or two just because i like the Underseat idea and plug-n-play nature of it. Im not going for SUPER SUPER bass and sound in this car...that was my last car.
    I plan on maybe eventually amping the door speakers (with stock HU)

**on a side note... if you're looking to add a sub, dont wanna sacrifice alot of space and want better bass than the OEM sub....

I have an Infinity Bass Link left over from my last car.
    Its a 10" enclosed Sub with built in 200W amp.
    Takes up about a square foot of space and is plenty enough to drive some bass in a car the size of the WRX.
    Its just sitting at home.
    If you're interested just PM me.

Conclusion:

Go for the HU.

That'll give you the best instant sound improvement. and a good base to start any further upgrades from.

(if you go with Components like a said an amp might be needed before they actually sound good)

Quote Originally Posted by corybb View Post
    Conclusion:

Go for the HU.

That'll give you the best instant sound improvement. and a good base to start any further upgrades from.

(if you go with Components like a said an amp might be needed before they actually sound good)

The stock HU is a 6-disc changer. Will there be any problems pulling it out and putting in a normal-size HU (for example: this) Will there be room for a shelf underneath for extra storage? Does anyone have pics of their aftermarket HU in an 04?

Thanks!

No problems whatsoever.
    You'll just need to buy a DIN pocket for the lower half of where the Stock HU was.
    if you have it installed somewhere they probly will have them instock maybe?

The stock HU is a 6-disc changer. Will there be any problems pulling it out and putting in a normal-size HU (for example: this) Will there be room for a shelf underneath for extra storage? Does anyone have pics of their aftermarket HU in an 04?

Thanks!
    Hey buddy...

Figured I'd lend my knowledge, I know we've discussed everything WRX over the past month or so, and I'm damn glad you're joining our world!

The sound system is actually quite easy to deal with. I hated that it was so weak as well, even in the new 07 "upgraded" sound system. They "boast" about 150 watt stereos

The headunit is the best first upgrade. The stocker puts out so little power, they crappy sound you hear when you give it volume is the clipping from upping the volume, but not the power. Component speakers can be a pain, but multichannel speakers will probably be easier and still lend a great amount of improvement, especially if you amp them up.

I can help you with installs and picking out a system or whatever, I did my DVD Nav myself in an hour like you've seen I also know the best places to run wires for subs and stuff
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Carfax for free?

Does anyone have a free carfax that they could pass along?

Here's the VIN:
    jf1gd296x4g501051

As long as it comes up clean, I'll be buying my 04 WRX tonight!

Thanks in advance!