new to subaru
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new to subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey, i cashed in on the tacoma recall and im looking into a 2002 wrx with about 79000 on it ...

new to subaru

hey, i cashed in on the tacoma recall and im looking into a 2002 wrx with about 79000 on it for about 13000 i was wondering if u guys had any advice to someone new to subarus

thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome to the club

1) buy a stock subaru
    2) BOV's are bad.
    3) engine management (cobb accessport) is always a good mod

i think that sums it up

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

thanx lol that was short and sweet
    im only 17 and my parents think tht i wont be able to afford the up keep on a subaru but is it really much worse.

i had to pay 700.00 for new coil springs and spring seats in my tacoma is subaru really that much more expensive?

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru parts are not inexpensive. Even worse, since people buy Subarus and wrap them around lamp posts or use them to knock down trees, insurance rates are going to be murder. At 17 you're probably looking at a complete and utter waste of money to insure the car every year. I'm not saying insurance itself is useless; insurance is wonderful and it's the law -- however, it's not IMO necessary to pay lots of premiums just to have a Subaru.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Subaru parts are not inexpensive. Even worse, since people buy Subarus and wrap them around lamp posts or use them to knock down trees, insurance rates are going to be murder. At 17 you're probably looking at a complete and utter waste of money to insure the car every year. I'm not saying insurance itself is useless; insurance is wonderful and it's the law -- however, it's not IMO necessary to pay lots of premiums just to have a Subaru.
    when i switched from a 00 elantra to an 06 wrx at 19 years old, my rates actually went down. wrx insurance rates aren't bad..... its the STi rates that will blow a kids college fund

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tron View Post
    when i switched from a 00 elantra to an 06 wrx at 19 years old, my rates actually went down. wrx insurance rates aren't bad..... its the STi rates that will blow a kids college fund
    Wow! It of course varies by state and circumstances, but just to give you an idea, I pay a only a little less to insure our Subaru than I do to insure a car that costs $10,000 more and is 5 years newer. Good for you, it sounds like you're saving some money.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfordt2 View Post
    thanx lol that was short and sweet
    im only 17 and my parents think tht i wont be able to afford the up keep on a subaru but is it really much worse.

i had to pay 700.00 for new coil springs and spring seats in my tacoma is subaru really that much more expensive?

i got mine when i was 17 too. its not expensive at all. heres pretty much my money breakdown:

1)300 a month for the car payment
    2)130 a month for insurance
    3) 130-190 a month for gas
    4) 13 bucks every 3k miles for oil
    5) 2 dollars for airfresheners

thats it! the essentials.

desiree

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Wow! It of course varies by state and circumstances, but just to give you an idea, I pay a only a little less to insure our Subaru than I do to insure a car that costs $10,000 more and is 5 years newer. Good for you, it sounds like you're saving some money.
    believe it had something to do with awd and tahoe/mammoth winters...... skiing is my work, and the wrx is more suited for snowy, windy mountain roads

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    I guess it's all relative. I'd not pay that to insure the Subaru; I'd buy another car instead since I'm not willing to pay that premium for it. I insure four cars total, so it adds up -- a personal choice I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by tron View Post
    believe it had something to do with awd and tahoe/mammoth winters...... skiing is my work, and the wrx is more suited for snowy, windy mountain roads
    That's really interesting, I'd not heard that before.

i got mine when i was 17 too. its not expensive at all. heres pretty much my money breakdown:

and what kind of oil are you running? they want an arm and a leg each time with royal purple..... god i need to find that stuff cheap somewhere

gas is the real killer for me ( i drive almost 200 miles a day M-Th). if its not snowing like crazy, i tend to take the prius to the hill and class instead or the wrx. not nearly as fun, but then i can still afford to buy myself a beer or two when the day is through, and extend the life of my favorite toy at the same time.

Be easy with the clutch. NO LAUNCHING.Your tranny will thank you
    Bugeye Mafia Member #171 For Life No Matter What It Takes

How many miles a week do you put on?

I ask only because my mom and i still need a little leverage to convinve my dad that a Subaru is a good idea, im 17 i have a 2001 silverado and i spend in one week what you spend a month in gas.

if i dont use boost i get 24-26 mpg if i do i get 15+ mpg
    Bugeye Mafia Member #171 For Life No Matter What It Takes

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 919industries View Post
    How many miles a week do you put on?

I ask only because my mom and i still need a little leverage to convinve my dad that a Subaru is a good idea, im 17 i have a 2001 silverado and i spend in one week what you spend a month in gas.
    i usually put on about 270ish miles a week give or take and i get about 24 miles per gallon even with spirited driving

desiree

Thats epic, i will save a lot of money seeing as how i get in the 8-9mpg range!

sorry for stealing this thread btw

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.