Getting ready to buy a rex

This is a discussion on Getting ready to buy a rex within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've liked WRXs for a long time now, and now that I'm finally in a situation where I can afford ...

Getting ready to buy a rex

I've liked WRXs for a long time now, and now that I'm finally in a situation where I can afford to own one I'm going to buy one.

I intend to buy a 2003 bugeye, yellow would be awesome if I could find one, but I presume that would be hard to find and expensive.

I'm really hoping to spend less than $12,000, less than $10,000 would be better, but I can only seem to find WRXs with >100,000 miles for that price.

Does anyone feel that's too high of a mileage to buy used?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #8888 2006 WRX TR Steel Gray ~16 PSI
    Military Militia #8888 Mods: -VF39 Turbo -XO2 TMIC -Vibrant 3" Cat Back w/ 3" Bellmouth DP -5Zigen FN01R-C Titanium 17x7 +48 wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good luck!!!

Welcome to the forum, just keep your eyes open and look for what you want. I picked up my 2002 with 32k on it for 13,900 in Oct 2005.

Hit the links in my sig to read some important info you should be aware of.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow... pondering a new car at 1:45 in the morning? You must really want it.

Good luck. I have found that when you want something bad enough and keep patient, you always get it.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

100k is not that many miles if the recomended maintenace has been done, and it was well taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Wow... pondering a new car at 1:45 in the morning? You must really want it.

Good luck. I have found that when you want something bad enough and keep patient, you always get it.
    I find this true also, but financial situation has long since put me back on getting a car newer than 1990, so now that the Navy has provided me with the means to both finance the car, and afford the insurance (USAA provides amazing deals on insurance for service members), I'm gonna buy myself the car as a 21st birthday present.

I've frequently been checking craigslist, and on here in the classifieds to find what I'm looking for. Auto trader online has almost zero WRXs for the area I'm looking. Does anyone have any better ideas and where to find a WRX?
    Military Militia #8888 Mods: -VF39 Turbo -XO2 TMIC -Vibrant 3" Cat Back w/ 3" Bellmouth DP -5Zigen FN01R-C Titanium 17x7 +48 wheels

So, I've found some cars now, and one I'm looking at one that has 117k miles on it, and a few mods etc. One mod that catches my eye as bad, is that it has a blow off valve.

From everyones experience, are blow off valves that detrimental to the motor when they're installed and the fuel mapping not adjusted for them?

-edit-

This is the description:
    *Borla full stainless exhaust
    * Stealth FX blow off valve
    *AEM cold air intake
    *HKS Turbo Timer
    * Short shift kit
    *BBS rims and Kumho tires
    *Stock Rims and tires for winter!
    *Recent work had done…Timing Belt, Water Pump, Brakes.
    Excellent Condition, Runs Great!
    Great in snow! Well Maintained!
    Oil changed every 3,000 miles!
    Last edited by cheshiregizmo; 04-20-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Added car description

Quote Originally Posted by cheshiregizmo View Post
    So, I've found some cars now, and one I'm looking at one that has 117k miles on it, and a few mods etc. One mod that catches my eye as bad, is that it has a blow off valve.

From everyones experience, are blow off valves that detrimental to the motor when they're installed and the fuel mapping not adjusted for them?

-edit-

This is the description:
    *Borla full stainless exhaust
    * Stealth FX blow off valve
    *AEM cold air intake
    *HKS Turbo Timer
    * Short shift kit
    *BBS rims and Kumho tires
    *Stock Rims and tires for winter!
    *Recent work had done…Timing Belt, Water Pump, Brakes.
    Excellent Condition, Runs Great!
    Great in snow! Well Maintained!
    Oil changed every 3,000 miles!
    I would stay away from that one.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Another I'm looking at. Let me know what you think, and if you think I should stay away from it, please say why. Thanks.

Original add for the car: Asking Price: $11,200

I am unfortunately selling my WRX but I really would like to get back into 240sx or another FR. So my loss your gain. The car has a
    -turbo back exhaust
    -Brand New clutch
    -Lowered
    -17'' Advan Knockoffs with new tires on them
    -New front passenger ball bearing
    -Boost gauge in vent
    -Kart Boy short shifter
    Car has little things all over it, such as cf side markers, shift knob those type of things.
    The car is going to need new brakes soon. I will give you pads when you buy the car though. The trunk was also kicked in by some stupid kid. I know this because I saw there foot print on it . For the right price I will have this fixed for you. (Then contact info, e-mail and phone)

E-mail I got after contacting seller: I am not the First owner of the car. The modifications were done by the last owner, but have been checked by a shop. The car has 95,000 Miles with a fresh oil change and fresh clutch just put in.

Pictures from e-mail:

You can see the dent in the trunk in the last picture.