SR 240sx or stock WRX?

This is a discussion on SR 240sx or stock WRX? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello Gentlemen, my name is Jon and I was hoping to get some opinions from some wrx owners. I currently ...

Smile SR 240sx or stock WRX?

Hello Gentlemen, my name is Jon and I was hoping to get some opinions from some wrx owners. I currently own a 1998 240sx and was planning to put a jdm SR motor but because I live in CA, I'm leaning towards selling it and possibly buying a wrx. How is the daily drivability/Ride quality? Can some one tell me the pros and cons you've noticed after driving it for awhile?I'm especially interested in new owners thoughts.Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by j625 View Post
    Hello Gentlemen
    ahem... anyway

if you have a kouki, keep it and put the sr20 in it. if its a zenki, get rid of it!

honestly though, a swapped 240 is great.. very powerful and a blast to drive but i can almost bet you'll have reliability issues.

the wrx on the other hand will give you decent power, reliability, and a great drive. i've put 16k on my subie and havent had any problems whatsoever.

i guess its just personal preference.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Thanks for the quick reply, it is actually getting in/out of the car and some what harsh ride quality even though it's only lowered on springs. As far as reliability goes, I was planning on going to a reputable shop so I'd have no worries, plus there is an abundance of parts. Will post a pic after my 3rd post

I Support ClubWRX
    i dont know if this is within your budget but.. i would keep the 240 as a project car and maybe get the wrx as a daily? i dont know if you drift or not but you could just use the 240 for drifting/fun driving purposes. just an idea.

desiree

The WRX is definitely the more practical choice. It's decently quick and pretty reliable. It is a car thats best enjoyed modded but it's certainly slouch in stock form either.

As for the 240, heavily modded cars can always be a gamble. If you really like the car, have faith in your mechanical skill (or that of your mechanic if your having someone else do the swap), can afford to fix anything that breaks and are ok with that then go ahead with the engine swap and keep the car. My .02
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I was really thinking about keeping the 240 and daily the wrx but I don't think that is practical, I can't picture myself driving two cars. The only mods I would do would be cbe, drop-in filter, and dp. Same for the wrx. I will always want 911T, but I think turboing the 240 would be as close as I would get to one. This decision is hard because this is my first car and would a lot cheaper on the bank to modify but if I get hassled by a cop and reffed, I will pay a hefty fine. Then again, I don't drive like a teenager.

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah but also think about your money situation in the long run. youre not going to be able to swap the 240 and thats that. its going to be constant upkeep and you always have the risk of things going wrong/breaking/etc. my ex had an sr20 in his and i swear every week it was something else.

with the wrx you'll never have any problems as long as its been maintained properly. even if you mod it, you wont have any issues if you choose mods that are healthy for the car.

so basically:

1) keep the 240. you get a fast, fun car. possibly.. not so reliable.

2) get a wrx. have power, great ride, reliability, modding potential.

desiree

Point well taken. But illegal boost sounds sweet,lol. Sorry it's a little fuzzy but you get the idea. I'm seriously leaning towards selling.

That's a tough choice.

With the swap you will have a bad ass car, but you're going to drive around being paranoid about stuff breaking.

With a WRX you lose your bad ass factor, but have a more reliable and comfortable car.

Again, reliablity isn't an issue. There are many reputable shops around socal. I would like some info as far as ride quality when lowered on rims,etc. Whenever I see a bad pothole on the freeway I get ready for slam, it kinda sucks.

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    Just swap your 240. Make sure the electrical on your car is up to par and possibly get a rebuild done to the motor your import and you won't have a problem. I've seen some SR20's take some abuse, just make sure you have a quality radiator and maybe a VFC.

WRXtreme06 what is unreliable about an SR20?
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

I'm assuming her bf's car was heavily modded, but if I go the SR route I would also consider the RB. Either one would be a basic swap. WRX/240? It's been bugging me for the past week.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by j625 View Post
    I'm assuming her bf's car was heavily modded, but if I go the SR route I would also consider the RB. Either one would be a basic swap. WRX/240? It's been bugging me for the past week.
    yup he had about 315hp i believe running 15lbs of boost (possibly 17 or.. 20.. i dont really remember)

i'm not saying ALL 240's are unreliable but once you start modding a 10 year old car you always run that risk.

desiree

Hey, I have an s14 with an s13 redtop if you wanna use it for everything... 3in tbe, all wiring, power steering, koyo radiator, tein s-tech, agx shocks, a bride brix II seat... just needs a new turbo

I have both and love both, but I have to sell the 240 as its time to save some money for moving back to Oregon. I can't say the 240 is any better than the WRX, they are just different... bout a 1000lbs actually... I almost considered keeping the 240 but the WRX is just easier to drive now...

That is a significant weight difference. I can stop going to Subway now. I guess in the end it is personal preferance like ahem* Wrxtreme06 said. I had my eye on a black 04' but was sold before I could see it. It seems like a black "W" is hard to come by,no?