so...

This is a discussion on so... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; After reading some of the posts here I noticed that most of you guys would recommend buying stock. I recently ...

Question so...

After reading some of the posts here I noticed that most of you guys would recommend buying stock.

I recently purchased a lightly modded 05 wrx. I'm not too fimiliar with upgrading on cars and such (previously i had a civic w/ intake n springs...). I was wondering if maybe I am running the car right now with harmful mods, as I commute about 35miles one way everyday.

Some of the things I noticed were: exhaust(not sure if its a full system or not), shortram intake (AEM), blow off valve (HKS), turbo timer (APEXi). The car runs absolutely flawless and I am very satisfied by the performance. However, this could be because the car only has about 30k miles on it.

I read that keeping the stock BOV is the way to go and having something after market could be bad news later on, but can anyone else give me input on some of these other things?.. Maybe I can take some close up shots of the exhaust and piping to see what sort of setup it is. Or better yet, PRE is only a drive away... should I just take it to you guys?

Help please Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you have done some research!

you are correct when you say a BOV is bad. you can look for a used one on our forums here or on nasioc. you can probably pick one up pretty cheap. the turbo timer on our cars is basically a neutral mod. it doesnt do anything useful on a wrx but since you didnt pay for it it cant hurt. its job is to cycle oil and water through the turbo to cool it down but once again it isnt necessary on a wrx. the intake is only good on the wrx if it is tuned for it. the spt and the cobb are two you can get away with without tuning for it but it isnt really recomended. see if you can take some shots of the uppipe/downpipe/exhaust and we can let you know what you are dealing with. welcome to the club!
    xTristanx
    New England F4
    Blobeye Syndicate #27
    Mods

congrats! I would suggest taking off the bov and putting the stock bpv back on, along with taking out the turbo timer. There is no use for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

Quote Originally Posted by ajd111 View Post
    congrats! I would suggest taking off the bov and putting the stock bpv back on, along with taking out the turbo timer. There is no use for it.
    but the turbo timer isnt doing any harm. if its already hooked up why not just keep it? saves the hassle of removing it
    xTristanx
    New England F4
    Blobeye Syndicate #27
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by CertainPhate View Post
    but the turbo timer isnt doing any harm. if its already hooked up why not just keep it? saves the hassle of removing it
    If there isn't a use for it, why keep it? Thats how I look at it. Along with that, if he removes it, he could sell it as well.

just my .02.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

Quote Originally Posted by ajd111 View Post
    yeah I would have switched the BOV back to stock but unfortunately I dont have it.

I am looking to get a STi tmic in the future too, is stock still best for this as well?

thanks guys.