tbe on a 04 sti ?????

This is a discussion on tbe on a 04 sti ????? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i have been researching for about an hour now and i am still stuck? i just purchased a 2004 sti ...

tbe on a 04 sti ?????

i have been researching for about an hour now and i am still stuck? i just purchased a 2004 sti and its stock. i bought a 3 inch catless downpipe and a srs 3 inch exhaust. i am wondering if it will be ok to install these upgrades without any ems right now? what problems could i run into if any? i should be getting a cobb ap in another month or 2. should i wait for the cobb ap or install the upgrades now. also i do have a boost gauge if that helps any. thanks for any info

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You will be fine the worst that can happen is tht you get a lil boost creep if you are pushing the car hard. To be honest I just installed my TBE this afternoon on my new STi and I was expecting my new AP V2 to arrive and it didnt so I'll just wait till tomorrow.
    New England F4

Turbo XS Bov FS/Trade (HKS sequential)

thanks anyone else have any comment?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    wait until you have everything needed to properly mod your car without any consequences. why risk hurting your cars performance?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Do a search for the terms "boost creep", "wastegate porting", and "catless."

Then read the FAQ's at the top of the engine performance forum, including all the detailed descriptions of how engines, turbos, WRX engines, and exhaust systems work. Once you're all done doing that (should take a few days), then post back here if you still have any questions. All this information is readily available if you put in the effort to search for yourself.

As a side note, if you got tired of searching and decided to start a new thread on a MUCH addressed issue after only an hour, imagine what it's going to be like when you pop your engine? Maybe re-evaluate your commitment to self-education before you start modifying crucial engine components that could compromise the performance and longevity of your expensive, high performance sports car.

Definitely wait for the AP. Why did you get a catless DP? You should have gotten one with a cat...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Definitely wait for the AP. Why did you get a catless DP? You should have gotten one with a cat...
    +1 for waiting until you get the AP.
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

some people go their entire cars length without tuning it. now by saying this im not saying its a good idea, which it isnt, but it can be done. you will find a good many people on this forum, myself included, had a dp and exhaust on without EM for at least a week. again not saying its good just saying that its common practice. i would definitely look into tuning before you commit to putting the parts on
    xTristanx
    New England F4
    Blobeye Syndicate #27
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    because you get more horsepower out of a catless exhaust. you just have to adjust your wastegate
    xTristanx
    New England F4
    Blobeye Syndicate #27
    Mods

so once i get the ap then i should have no problems with my set up being catless ?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sethtroy View Post
    so once i get the ap then i should have no problems with my set up being catless ?
    not in that sense, but i noticed youre in california and they have VERY strict emission laws. several members have stated before that there is a hefty fine if youre caught driving catless.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    not in that sense, but i noticed youre in california and they have VERY strict emission laws. several members have stated before that there is a hefty fine if youre caught driving catless.
    a NEF4 member and good friend of mine just moved out there. He almost had trouble getting his car registered there because it was from out of state. they are very very strict on noise and emission laws there so just be careful
    xTristanx
    New England F4
    Blobeye Syndicate #27
    Mods

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Catless DP doesn't mean the car is catless.. There are 2 cats in the exhaust flow. Does Cali require both be installed? Here in VT, they would never look that far back.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett