Hey! Just got a 2005 WRX STI!

This is a discussion on Hey! Just got a 2005 WRX STI! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Not gonna lie the car is dangerous before this I was driving a 2001 Chrysler 300m, and going from that ...

Hey! Just got a 2005 WRX STI!

Not gonna lie the car is dangerous before this I was driving a 2001 Chrysler

300m, and going from that to the STI definetly makes you respect how truly

bad ass the car is. But anywho, The sti is my first car, me being only 19

years old, I find it to be a good decision and need not worry I'm not some kid

with daddies money. I work 60+ hours for AT&T to keep my car!

So, yeah I'm from Illinois near the Chicago region, I'm new to the whole car
    scene, and I'm willing to learn. I want to know how to truly take care of

this car and take it to another level. I had a buddy that was reccomending

for a first mod for the car I should look into a new exhaust, I believe he

called it a "Cat-Back Exhaust"?

And here's a picture only took one so far on my phone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIC-0008.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well heres a few suggestions.
    a cobb accessport it controls the engines air fuel ratio ignition and ur boost, 695 dollars.

a turbo back exhaust, plus the upipe, 1200 dollars and lower, check ebay, got mine brand new, upipe down pipe mid with cat and muffler for 375.00

but first i would change all the fluids oil, radiator, diff fluids, and brake.

hope this helps.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats... If you are 19 and live near a big city, can I ask what your insurance is costing you on the STI?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    well heres a few suggestions.
    a cobb accessport it controls the engines air fuel ratio ignition and ur boost, 695 dollars.

a turbo back exhaust, plus the upipe, 1200 dollars and lower, check ebay, got mine brand new, upipe down pipe mid with cat and muffler for 375.00

but first i would change all the fluids oil, radiator, diff fluids, and brake.

hope this helps.
    You dont need an UpPipe as the STi does not have a cat converter in it.

You could get a cobb ap with a catted downpipe, that would yeild more power. If your content with power, which you should be. I think you should drive the car and get used to it. You have alot of power as it is, learn to drive it, then when you feel the need for more, look into that mod. Until then you could find a cat-back exhaust which will not give you any significant power gains, but you will love the boxer sound exhaust. Another cool noisemaker mod is an intake, look into the SPT (subaru) or the Cobb short ram intakes. Again these are not power gaining mods, just noise. Keep up on maintainance, and good tires are always a plus. When you do a mod that is not an SPT brand and installed by subaru, SOA may deny your warrently claim if they think the part in question was damaged by that mod.

Enjoy, stay safe, and welcome.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Congrats... If you are 19 and live near a big city, can I ask what your insurance is costing you on the STI?

I dont live near a big city but im 21 and got a quote of $1300 every 6 months. If i stay under my parents insureance its only like $300 somehow....lol
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

Peachypumpkincheeks

*Drool* I've been looking for an '05 black STI for years in admiration.

Congrats man!!! She's a beauty!!!!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

She's a beaut. Learn all you can, and I agree Jeffmm drive it for a while, get a feel for the car before you start adding any performance mods on it. You'll be happy with the vehicle, it's a very nice one. Good Luck.
    You guys really gotta check out those badass Honda tail lights that give you 42hp!

Banned
    im in chicago area to, what city?

I live in Plainfield, it's a bit south of Chicago about a half hour drive away.

My insurance is only about 200 a month, but my dad is also a truck driver with 25+ plus years with no accidents both the truck and his every day cars.

We have also been with the insurance company for about 25 years.

Also, since I work for AT&T, and I drive one of their trucks for work, so with that AT&T and completed a safe drivers course I get breaks on my insurance.

But I have been hearing that I should drive it for a bit and get a feeling for it

before I begin to think about taking it to the next level.

If you decide to do anything major to the car, you're lucky. You're near P&L motorsports....probably my choice, nationally, for a shop to build a high horsepower subaru. Jorge, their tuner, is VERY good and has an intimate understanding of the internal combustion engine and thermodynamics.

I recommend staying away from power mods though for the first 10k miles. See how the car drives, if anything needs replacing or maintenance. Save your money for routine work, then once you're sure the car is tip top, then think about mods in this order:

Suspension
    Brakes
    Engine/power

Best of luck.

~Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I work for Farmers Insurance and the best way to save money on your Subaru auto insurance is to be covered under your parents (considering they have good driving records). The WRX is considered a high performance vehicle (atleast with Farmers) so the rates could be bad for the younger drivers out there.
    If insured with your parents, I would recommend asking your agent to see if it would be cheaper to rate yourself on one of your parents vehicles and have mom/dad rated on the WRX/STi. When claim time comes around you'll be fine because your a listed driver and the vehicle is insured. Im 23 with 1 speedcite and pay $934/yr for my wrx

nice ride take care of it. like these guys said before me just ride stock for a lil bit get used to the power and then modify it. whatever u do dont get a boost controller and turn it up. !!

the subaru ecu is a very intricate piece of machinery and needs the proper stuff to be tuned (thats where things like the Cobb Accessport comes into play) to run at its peak. if u want some power upgrades, without touching the ecu, get urself a full exhaust system (catback with a downpipe). there are downpipes out there that delete the cat n some that dont. depending on where u live and the emissions laws, be careful when choosing what downpipe u buy. another upgrade many subaru folks overlook are aftermarket headers (or the exhaust manifold, which is bolted to the bottom of the motor and feeds up into the turbo). the stock subaru header is VERY restrictive. sure it gives fast spool-up at around 2500 RPM's but it really makes the car die off at highway speeds. there are unequal length headers (which physically produce the "boxer" growl) and equal length headers available for the car. the choice between each setup is up to u. at the end of the day the equal length set will produce better power and response (due to the runners all forcing exhaust air into the turbo at the same time = faster spool)

i have an unequal set on my car, with a 3 inch full exhaust, and in injen short ram intake (but i have a turbo XS fmic kit, rfl bov and turbo inlet hose waiting in the shop to be put on as well ) and i must say those simple mods made the car a bullet

im taking my time with everything tho cuz it does cost money and time and i dont wanna break anything. haha

but take it slow with the car at first. most importantly have fun and enjoy it

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    hey i work at at&t too. what do you do there?

welcome to the club and enjoy the car

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links: