just bought a 2004 sti need help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on just bought a 2004 sti need help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i just bought a 2004 sti and when i bought the car the previous owner said that the yellow lights ...

just bought a 2004 sti need help

i just bought a 2004 sti and when i bought the car the previous owner said that the yellow lights right above the headlights stay on even when you turn the car off and that he just pulls the fuse. is this normal do they go off eventually. also by pulling the fuse the interior radio lights and also the headlight adjuster dosent light up. there are no mods on the car and it has a stock boost gauge from the dealer. that also dosent light up when the fuse is pulled. could i just pull the bulbs so they dont come on and put the fuse back in or would the battery still die? thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How could you think this is normal?

Somebody somewhere along the way screwed up the wiring. The lights should go off. On the '04 (and maybe other years too), even if the headlight switch is on, all the lights go out when you turn the key off. I never turn off my headlight switch. It's been on for almost a year now since I always drive with my lights on for safety, so why bother to turn it off?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX

Welcome To The Club!!!!!!!!

Hi there and Welcome...

you could just take the bulbs out but if you just bought it, I'd take it back and make them fix it. If you bought it from a dealer. Private Party, sound like?? well, I'm sure they missed up the wiring and either way it should be fixed.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    On the '04 (and maybe other years too), even if the headlight switch is on, all the lights go out when you turn the key off. I never turn off my headlight switch. It's been on for almost a year now since I always drive with my lights on for safety, so why bother to turn it off?
    +1

The '05 is the same way, and in the 11 months I've had my car, I've never turned off my headlights (except to see the radio on a bright sunny day, and then they go right back on).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sethtroy View Post
    i just bought a 2004 sti and when i bought the car the previous owner said that the yellow lights right above the headlights stay on even when you turn the car off and that he just pulls the fuse.
    What other lights stay on? Do the tails stay on? The side clearance markers?

What happens when you flick the switch on top of the steering column, between the dash instruments and the back of the steering wheel?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yes the tail lights and the the yellow lights right above the headlights they are small in the upper corners. where to start i have no clue

I Support ClubWRX
    yes the tail lights and the the yellow lights right above the headlights they are small in the upper corners. where to start i have no clue
    Have you considered what happens when you flick the switch on the top of the steering column in front of the steering wheel? The one with a "P" on it when it's off, and a red dash on it when it's on? This controls the parking lights when the key is out of the ignition. Does the switch function correctly? This is not the stalk, it's a switch on top of the column.

Recall:
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What happens when you flick the switch on top of the steering column, between the dash instruments and the back of the steering wheel?
    Or see:
    Parking lights don't turn off! Help!

or:
    lights

and so on.

I find it hard to believe that the previous owner was unaware of the switch; maybe (s)he was and re-wired something for some reason. In any case, check that switch first.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-27-2008 at 08:33 PM.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

that was the trick damn i feel like a noob. thanks for all your help

it's the tool that owned the car before you that should feel like a noob.. seriously.. how can some1 have a car in thier posession THAT long and NOT try ALL the buttons inside the car... glad I never had to drive anywhere around that brainiac.

I think I just work around the general public too much, cause I feel so much of the time that the majority of people are brain dead...

Glad you found a way to solve the problem that he couldn't for HOW long..?? ... Enjoy the STI !!!

wow if the previous owner wasnt smart enough to see the switch or know about PARKING lights how the hell did he figure out the fuse box
    Bugeye Mafia member #173

I Support ClubWRX
    that was the trick damn i feel like a noob. thanks for all your help
    OK great. See if you got an owner's manual with the car, there's lots of little stuff like that covered etc.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.