New member, new '08 WRX and some questions

This is a discussion on New member, new '08 WRX and some questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I picked up a 2008 blue 4dr WRX last week as my old car died (would have cost ...

New member, new '08 WRX and some questions

Hey all,

I picked up a 2008 blue 4dr WRX last week as my old car died (would have cost more to repair than the car was worth). I am not sure it makes any difference but it is a California model. The only reason I bring it up is because Subaru makes some differentiation.

I have some questions about the oil changes and start up/cool down times. This is my first turbo engine. I want to make sure it lasts longer than my other car.

I have popped the rpms above 4k a few times, mostly on accident but I am really trying to watch it.

I currently have 700 miles on it. I would like to know when I should get my first oil change, when I should make the switch to a synthetic and how often the oil changes should occur.

A few friends of mine say that the warm up and cool down of a turbo is extremely important. Is this true? How long should I do both.

Any other tips and pointers you have would be much appreciated.

Blue skies,
    Toxy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

I would wait until you get close to 3000 miles and then change the oil. If you like synthetic go with one at that point.

Generally speaking, the warm up and cool down on your WRX is not terribly different from most other cars. If you let it warm up for a minute you should be fine. Cool down is not that much of a worry but some like to not drive quite as hard for the last minute. Do not let anyone convince you that you need a turbo timer as they a basically a waste of money. Please take some time to explore the links in my signature.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Typically i can hop in my car start and go, but i stay out of boost till its at a full operating temp. IF it is very cold 40 and below id warm it up before. The last few miles before you get home i would also stay out of boost and you can shut your car down right away. Again a turbo timer is a waste of money, no need for it.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Not just yet

Dont add that oil yet toxi, wait till you get about 20k on that thing before you add a synthetic. The reason is that synthetics are very slick. You want to give all lubricated parts time to seat first by just using a conventional oil of your choice. I've cracked down a few engines in my time and let me just suggest the yellow bottle(po)but, at only 20k its not gonna matter much by the time you go syn. When you go syn, look into amsoil. I stand behind it but, if you dont want a 25k mile oil, Mobile is tops in synthetics followed closely by castrol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Toxy?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelgrip View Post
    Dont add that oil yet toxi, wait till you get about 20k on that thing before you add a synthetic. The reason is that synthetics are very slick. You want to give all lubricated parts time to seat first by just using a conventional oil of your choice. I've cracked down a few engines in my time and let me just suggest the yellow bottle(po)but, at only 20k its not gonna matter much by the time you go syn. When you go syn, look into amsoil. I stand behind it but, if you dont want a 25k mile oil, Mobile is tops in synthetics followed closely by castrol.
    There are many examples of much less (or no) mileage before going to synthetic with no ill effects. I made the switch at 6600 miles and now at 37K I can detect no discernable amount of oil being consumed. 20K seems excessive. More oil reading than you can shake a dipstick at: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics