New member, getting a WRX sometime soon
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New member, getting a WRX sometime soon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all. A WRX has been my dream car for years now, and I finally have the opportunity to get ...

kad

New member, getting a WRX sometime soon

Hey all. A WRX has been my dream car for years now, and I finally have the opportunity to get one. I'm graduating from college in May, and I'll hopefully have a job lined up by then, so I'm planning on getting an '08 WRX. I've been driving SUV's for the last 9 years (started out with a Ford Explorer, and I've been driving my Grand Cherokee for 3 years now), so it'll be a big step up.

Only problem is I'll have to learn how to drive a stick, because I definitely want a MT. I know a few friends with manual cars that I'm gonna try to get to teach me in the meantime. My dad and I test drove the exact WRX I want last weekend, and he got it to a parking lot and let me try it out. I stalled it like 3 times just trying to get it to move before I gave up, haha.

Needless to say I've been doing a lot of reading about them and the mod paths people take with them, etc. Later!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    hey good luck with your purchase

do not take this the wrong way but i think its very very rude to test drive a car that you do not know how to drive.. then keep stalling out, etc. try going out on your friends cars first like you said, then once you get the hang of it, test drive the wrx.

keep us updated!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post

do not take this the wrong way but i think its very very rude to test drive a car that you do not know how to drive.. then keep stalling out, etc. try going out on your friends cars first like you said, then once you get the hang of it, test drive the wrx.

keep us updated!
    ^^ Very well said. You will learn in no time with practice.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

kad
    Thanks for the welcomes.

It was never my intention to be rude in doing that, and normally I wouldn't dream of test driving a dealership car that I knew I wouldn't be able to drive. I just had to give it a shot and sit behind the wheel of the car I'm going to buy soon to see what it was like. And there was no harm done, and the dealer was totally cool with it. He was an awesome guy to talk to about everything related to the WRX's and STI's, like he really knows his stuff, and apparently races a WRX too.

At any rate I will definitely make another thread later whenever I get the car, hopefully in the next month or two. Still keeping my fingers crossed on that job offer!

I've even spent considerable amount of time exploring my other options out there, and nothing really appealed to me. The WRX has been my dream for a long time, and I think I'd be unsatisfied with anything less. I may still look into getting an 05 or 06 STI if I can find one for around $25k with a clean title and bone stock, low miles. We'll see.
    Last edited by kad; 03-27-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Hey cool I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are, I'll have a job by next spring and maybe a WRX to match it. And I'm still trying to learn M/T.

I was thinking about maybe just getting an older STi, but insurance is higher and plus if we haven't had much experiences with M/T anyway, shouldn't rush it. Enjoy the learning experience, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post

keep us updated!
    Agreed, be nice to the Suby!!!
    ~02 Rex~
    - ACT Stage 2 clutch
    - lightweight flywheel (13.5lbs)
    - Cobb Short Ram
    - MBC
    - Turboback Exhaust
    - STI Pinks
    - NGK - 1 step colder plugs
    - EGTand boost gauge in dash pod bezel
    - Tein lowering springs
    - 17 Sukudo Rims
    - Falken Azenis RT-615

Hey man good luck with learnin, just don't hurt a subie there to nice do it to a ford or something.....
    a little of topic my apologies to the op has anyone noticed a large amount of people around them that don't know how to drive a MT i personally was forced to learn to drive on a '89 1 ton diesel.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson
    Military Militia #2006 Blobeye Syndicate #2006
    My Blobeye now debadged pictures soon, hopefully / Did that der silencer delete that's like 30hp right,

I learned on my Mom's 1985 Subaru GL AWD turbo. And I tell ya what, it was a tough car to learn to drive a manual with, even tougher just to learn to drive period!

Good luck and welcome!
    ~02 Rex~
    - ACT Stage 2 clutch
    - lightweight flywheel (13.5lbs)
    - Cobb Short Ram
    - MBC
    - Turboback Exhaust
    - STI Pinks
    - NGK - 1 step colder plugs
    - EGTand boost gauge in dash pod bezel
    - Tein lowering springs
    - 17 Sukudo Rims
    - Falken Azenis RT-615

I think it would be best to have lots of seat time driving a manual car first as you wouldn't want to damage a brand new subie learning to drive it. Get a old toyota/subie for about 1k as a daily driver to get good at it. One step at a time.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.