New Here - looking at getting a used WRX :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Here - looking at getting a used WRX :) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, Just wanted to formally introduce myself.. in the market for a new car and stepping up from the ...

New Here - looking at getting a used WRX :)

Hey all,

Just wanted to formally introduce myself.. in the market for a new car and stepping up from the ford ranger that I drive, so anything is going to be a nice change. Currently looking at a 2005 silver wrx. Anyways just wanted to say 'hey' and thank you all for some great information on these boards. Btw, here's the link to the specific subie I'm looking at, and yes I know it's an automatic.

http://www.mikescarffsubaru.com/Vehi...ails/942096674

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club
    Thats a nice clean looking wagon, If an auto is what you want or need, thats cool, just make sure before you buy, it has a clean past with no mods, bone stock is the way to go, believe me, I bought a modded car that had been "returned" to stock, and well I have put the money that I saved on the purchase into fixing the problems it had. Good luck man
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Here's the rationale behind the auto - never driven a stick before and don't feel like spending $15-18k and trying to learn on it. Would be great if I could learn on something else but no one in the fam has a stick, nor anyone else I know well enough to let me borrow their car to learn on. Also, would be hard to test drive it being that I don't know how-to drive stick, heh, if ya know what I mean

The only mods that have been done are a SPT exhaust, and as my friend pointed out, I should check under the hood and see if they added anything else. SPT is subaru's pro tuning department or something like that right? Guessing they had it done at a subaru dealership.. if he'll come down on his price and I do decide to go ahead with it was thinking I should take it to a mechanic and have them give it a once over.

Quote Originally Posted by jholen View Post
    Here's the rationale behind the auto - never driven a stick before and don't feel like spending $15-18k and trying to learn on it. Would be great if I could learn on something else but no one in the fam has a stick, nor anyone else I know well enough to let me borrow their car to learn on. Also, would be hard to test drive it being that I don't know how-to drive stick, heh, if ya know what I mean

The only mods that have been done are a SPT exhaust, and as my friend pointed out, I should check under the hood and see if they added anything else. SPT is subaru's pro tuning department or something like that right? Guessing they had it done at a subaru dealership.. if he'll come down on his price and I do decide to go ahead with it was thinking I should take it to a mechanic and have them give it a once over.
    SPT= Subaru Performance Tuning
    I have never dealt with a subaru dealer so I do not know much about SPT parts, I believe SPT does not void your warranty if they install at the dealership though, I may be wrong.
    A manual adds so much to the driving experience, you get with the awd turbo, but 4eats can be made very quick too, there is a few members on here with autos.
    I would find a friend with a beater that has a 5 speed and just practice, it becomes second nature after a while, and it is sooo fun.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

What was the milage? Didnt see it listed.

Honestly you would love the car 10x more if it was a stick, a few days of driving and you will have learned how, maybe even in a few hours, it is not hard. Plus its always good to know how to drive auto and manual, what happens if your in an emergency and the only car around is a manual.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Mileage is 32,010.

Yeah I'm not against learning to drive a stick, just not sure how-to go about it. Too bad there isn't some company or something that offers a program.. again like I said, not against learning

And yeah, my friend already said no to me learning on his '03 wrx

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Do not be afraid to learn to drive a stick, it took me 2 hours in a parking lot to be able to drive safely on a city street, Learning a to drive stick is not just a a novelty, everybody should learn.

u wont kill a WRX transmission learning on it.

Oh By the way every driving school in the country has at least on manual car call a few up in your area and see if they have private lessons.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Bad friend. Keep looking for someone who has a stick that will let you drive it. OR call the dealer and see if you can take a test drive and find out if they ride with you. Have your friend drive it off the lot then take it to an empty one and you can try it out. If your to young maybe bring your parents, most the time they let the adults take the car off the lot alone.

Well, to his credit he's simply a "work" friend. Can't blame him really. Was browsing the NASIOC forums and found a '05 WRB WRX Wagon that a member is trying to sell.. thinking with a private class (local driving school offers this 2 hour stick private lesson) and some help from him I could transition into it fairly easily, then just practice practice.

The thing that really stuck out to me is that I love the concept of gears/shifting when it comes to bicycles (tour de france style racing) and so I'm guessing I'd love driving manual just as much as I enjoy racing on my bike. Anyways, we'll see how it pans out. Figure I should give manual a try before buying an auto, seems silly not to, just as it seems silly to just use the excuse of "I don't know how-to drive one." Thanks for the encouragement!

ive tought a bunch of my freinds how to drive stick... some that hadnt ever even seen someone work a standard before and i taught them to drive smoothly with about a half an hour....ive also taught people and it took a couple of hour sessions for them to be smooth. just make sure if you teach yourself or you have someone help you the first thing that i do is for the first couple of times in the car sit in the driver seat... put your right foot against the seat... your left foot down on the clutch, start the car, put it in first, and get the car moving and the clutch fully out without using the gas. it forces you to be smooth and it forces you to learn exactly where the clutch releases... do this in every standard car you drive and get good at it and you will never have a problem driving any standard car!.... when you get really good, try it in second it emphasizes smoothness two fold. good luck man! i had the same debate whenever whenever i was looking at my first car and i think i chose right when i bought my 5 speed!

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

You'll never regret it, theres nothing better than a downshift and going full throttle. You wont get the same effect with the 4eat.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jholen View Post
    found a '05 WRB WRX Wagon that a member is trying to sell.. thinking with a private class (local driving school offers this 2 hour stick private lesson) and some help from him I could transition into it fairly easily, then just practice practice.

Good Job, your not going to regret it.

we can give you tips on how what to do when you are learning too.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

I know someone who walked into a dealer with minimal stick skills, bought a new Acura with a manual and successfully drove it home and mastered it in very little time. You can do this.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

haha, nice story but i recently just bought an sti which was in florida, and i drove it up to nj... over 1100 miles
    my previous experience with a stick was a 5 speed pt cruiser for about an hour or two XD
    i made myself look like an idiot when i took the sti for a drive around the parking lot after i bought it, but after an hour or so of just driving in a circle i was fine to make the 2 day trip back home XD

What a response! Thanks for the many welcomes, though not really part of the club yet as I don't own one, but that'll be fixed hopefully sooner rather than later - getting in contact with the guy from NASIOC tomorrow hopefully to work out some details

Oh and also I found a local driving school that offers hour and a half stick shift driving lessons - called them today and got scheduled for next Wednesday! Looking forward to it - gonna read up on some tips in the meantime.

I'll be sure to keep you all up-to-date with my progress. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast