Subie Noob

This is a discussion on Subie Noob within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone! I never had the chance to say hi to everyone before coz I jumped straight to mods. Lol! ...

Smile Subie Noob

Hi everyone!

I never had the chance to say hi to everyone before coz I jumped straight to mods. Lol!

About three weeks ago, I purchased a silver 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX with the Premium pkg. I traded my 2006 Scion tC primarily because I want to drive stick and I want an AWD w/ turbo. Rather than spending $$$$ on mods for the Scion tC, I just traded it in and used the money I saved as down payment.

I love the WRX! I've driven it in the city (I'm from NYC-Queens) and on the highways (running a steady 75 and pushing to 100 is really fun LOL!).

I have never driven a stick AWD before. I guess the two concerns I have are 1) it feels sluggish taking off (I change from 1st to 2nd around 3k rpm, is that normal?) and 2) gear whine on 1st and 2nd gears.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you want to take off faster you'll just have to give it a little more rev from the get go while working the clutch. It is really a feel for the car you'll develope the more you drive the car. Just start practing launching slowly and eventually you'll be able to launch the car to your taste be it slow or fast.

As far as your gear whine I know my tranny makes a lot of noise so I am assuming the 08 will still have some whine, but i'd check with other 08 owners.
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

well #1 thank god you got rid of that damn tC. if you wanted to mod a tc you would of spent big money. my friend spent roughly $9500.00 on his tC (greddy turbo kit, cc injectors, front mount, bov, AEM FYC, and 3 tunes later) and only got 209 hp and like 223 tq. that horsepower is horrible for almost $10,000. I told him to get a wrx/sti, but he wanted to be different. so good job on making the right choice.

Welcome and enjoy. I only seen pics online of the 08 wrx/sti, i thought it was ugly, but i seen it in person, it looks alot better in person. i actually like it alot. just hate the tails on them.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #119

Quote Originally Posted by Damian STi View Post
    well #1 thank god you got rid of that damn tC. if you wanted to mod a tc you would of spent big money. my friend spent roughly $9500.00 on his tC (greddy turbo kit, cc injectors, front mount, bov, AEM FYC, and 3 tunes later) and only got 209 hp and like 223 tq. that horsepower is horrible for almost $10,000. I told him to get a wrx/sti, but he wanted to be different. so good job on making the right choice.

Welcome and enjoy. I only seen pics online of the 08 wrx/sti, i thought it was ugly, but i seen it in person, it looks alot better in person. i actually like it alot. just hate the tails on them.
    yeah, just the turbo kit on the tc is $3000 and up. out of the box, there's no LSD, its an FWD car, and mine was a slushbox. I agree, to make it perform, you need to throw lots of $$$$ to it. so, I've decided to change my daily commuter to something way better.

though I admit that the 08 wrx has its own share of little issues. the tail light is ok but not great. my tC turned corners better though. this 08 wrx needs some stiffening on the suspension department. for some, the feel might be fine. but I need it to be stiffer to match its power. sometime later I'll get the cusco coilovers. but if its very stiff (comments, anyone?), then I might just get the Cobb springs. of course, anti-roll bars are a must although I haven't seen any rear anti-rolls for the '08 (manufacturers pls!).

I thought those tcs were pretty sweet i lost to a girl in one in a race i didn't even know I was in
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson
    Military Militia #2006 Blobeye Syndicate #2006
    My Blobeye now debadged pictures soon, hopefully / Did that der silencer delete that's like 30hp right,

Quote Originally Posted by Damian STi View Post
    (snipped...) my friend spent roughly $9500.00 on his tC (greddy turbo kit, cc injectors, front mount, bov, AEM FYC, and 3 tunes later) and only got 209 hp and like 223 tq (...snipped)
    209/223 after tune? jeebus! i mean, okay, i respect the having-your-own-identity thing. i just don't have the money like he does or folks in car magazines do.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Some engines are meant to be Modded some are not.

If all you get for 10grand is 209hp then that is a good example of a fools errand.

put 10grand in the engine bay of a WRX and your going to have a really quick car.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by fragroute View Post
    209/223 after tune? jeebus! i mean, okay, i respect the having-your-own-identity thing. i just don't have the money like he does or folks in car magazines do.

yea. his plan was to only put $5000.00 into the tC, and he was expecting 280hp. turned out it had all types of engine mgmnt problems because his computer wasnt reading the FYC and crap. all types of problems. he went to iraq for 15 months and blew allllllll his money on that car when he got back. i tried to explain to him you can't get over 100+hp from a bolt on turbo kit, but he didnt wanna listen. i told him its like injecting illegal steroids into his body and all that money into the tC, either way, youre adding new crap to something thats not use to it, you will run into a problem sooner or later. as far as the 209/233, we live in tampa florida, it was like 90 degrees that day in a hott ass dyno warehouse, so lets just say the weather DID play a factor.....he would of got like 220 hp lol. but a scion with 210 hp, thing moves, just not faster then my STi.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #119

actually, whatever hp and tq he gets, he's gonna have to upgrade a lot of stuff to strengthen the car (i.e., tranny, suspension, engine internals - esp for even higher hp and tq).

this is just like that dude i saw on the magazine some time ago. he converted his old acura integra into a mid-ship RWD car. like what i said in my previous post, i respect their attitude, a lot as a matter of fact. but i can't see my self doing something like that because i have "responsibilities" to take care of with the little income i get.

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome !! Congrats on the new wrx! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here with us. Very informative site. Search Button is very useful and I'm sure you'll find all the info you are inquiring about.
    Also, on shifting... start shifting at 3500 and see what that does, I usually shift my forester sti at about 4 grand. I hate it when I feel the car start to bog... Makes me feel like I'm hurting her. Also, My tranny has some gear whine... bobby (husband) tells me it normal. I try not to worry about it.
    Last edited by 03WRX_YELLOW; 03-25-2008 at 11:03 AM.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

thanks!

i'm still trying things out. i tried your advice about shifting at 3500. works fine! i'm just afraid to strain the engine that's why i wasn't sure what's a good shift point from 1st to 2nd. i used the Cobb Stage 1 map though. I'm gonna try it with the Perrin Stage 1 map later. My butt dyno tells me the Perrin has a bit more power with more fuel consumption. heheh.

thanks again!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome to the club

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    welcome to the club
    thanks!

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fragroute View Post
    thanks!

i'm still trying things out. i tried your advice about shifting at 3500. works fine! i'm just afraid to strain the engine that's why i wasn't sure what's a good shift point from 1st to 2nd. i used the Cobb Stage 1 map though. I'm gonna try it with the Perrin Stage 1 map later. My butt dyno tells me the Perrin has a bit more power with more fuel consumption. heheh.

thanks again!
    I'm glad that worked for ya, I watched myself and I usually shift just after 3500 more like 3700 for me. I've been driving stick for just over a year daily But I'm def still really new to it. My husband has and continues to give me pointers. (hes such an Awesome Driver!) He'll be teaching me how to launch it soon. He wants me to start drag racing my own car. Well, Good luck with your Project/Build. If you ever need anything you let me know. I'm here to help.
    Last edited by 03WRX_YELLOW; 03-27-2008 at 09:13 AM.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    welcome to the club
    Grayscale no more ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics