Looking to get 06 WRX and need advice

This is a discussion on Looking to get 06 WRX and need advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, I have been scanning the forums for the last couple of hours and I didn't find exactly what ...

Question Looking to get 06 WRX and need advice

Hello everyone, I have been scanning the forums for the last couple of hours and I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So, I am looking to get an 06 WRX and it could be found in the 22,000 area with really low mileage (under 20,000 miles) and thats right in the area I want to spend.

Since I am a noob to the WRX I wanted to know what I should be looking for when purchasing the car. I know I should do the standard stuff such as looking for oil leaks around the turbo and exhaust leaks, but is there anything else that you guys could suggest that would be more specific to the WRX. I know a lot of people push their WRXs so I will be looking for one that is as stock as possible to avoid getting a damaged car, plus its no fun if someone modified the car before me... i want to do all that!

Please don't take the post the wrong way, I am not by any means saying that the cars are unreliable, and quite the opposite thats why I am very interested in a WRX over other cars like the SRT4. I just don't want to get a car that was either poorly maintained or had been modified at one time and had all of the stock parts thrown back onto it.

Thank you in advance for your advice and any information you could give me!

-Billy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah I am a jerk, I obviously didn't look at the section on how to purchase a car. I immediately thought I would find that information here . Regardless I will go ahead and check that section out. Glad I caught myself before I got owned by you guys!

I Support ClubWRX
    Above all find an unmodified car with full service history and factory warranty and have an independent mechanic look it over.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

welcome and good luck on your car search i looked on the car purchasing forum and did not see anything on body damage or maybe i missed it .here is some tips to use check gap around door to body look for large gap diffrence between doors on drivers side and passenger side example rear door on drivers side gap between door and quarter panel will fit 1quarter (coin) and 3 at same point on passenger side would show as a hard rear end impact apply to all gaps on car as they should be close to the same all the way around as far as hood,doors,trunk,fenders on a car with no body damage.look for paint over spray under car in wheel well.If only drivers side has over spray (as in body color paint)under car and wheel well and not on passenger side may show as side damage of some sort.As a body shop will mostly just paint whats damaged and cover the rest of the car when in spray booth. And finaly will be spot welds as i know of nothing that can fully repeat a factory spot weld, close but not exact so for front impact look at spot welds in radiator support comepare to welds on drivers side fender support and passengers side support if weld points on radiator does not match drivers and passengers fender support i would say a front impact may have happend this is all info from my brother and friend who worked at a body shops and you should have seen the cars that were fixed by insurance bmw 745 cut in half from trunk to drivers seat and with new half welded back togetherhere in florida i have seen a tag in drivers door jam on many cars that say Rebuilt with a bar code under it and vin# hope this will help your search.wait one more look at car and see if paint color does not match all the way around like body panels on drivers side does not match passenger side and so on. On a crapy fix you should see a paint shade diffrence and or were new paint was blended to old paint do so on a sunny day it will help and lean close to car and look down all body lines lok for waves dips bumps that should not be there idea comepare to one that has no auto damage dont be scared to look silly,silly is buying a car thats been hit front and rear and eats tires cause you can't get it aligned ok that should be it

4valvemach, thanks for the advice. Do people with a relatively new car usually fix collision damage out of pocket? I know it would raise insurance costs and wouldn't show up on something like carfax, but I would imagine it would be incredibly expensive to fix and thus you would just claim it on the insurance.

Also thanks SD_GR I definitely plan to take the advice of the forums. Since I have never actually purchased a sports car I forget that you need to look to see if they have replaced the exhaust, intake, even the turbo... and that means getting up close and checking the bolts to see if you can see tool marks or rounding. Then, I could see their complete history on the car and if those things havn't been replaced for a legit reason than I know they just threw a bunch of stock parts back on their track car trying to sell it as a bone stock daily driver. Unfortunate that people wouldn't be honest, but I guess it happens often.

The other thing I noticed while going through the forums is that the WRX transmission has been known to not be good... nobody elaborated on this and I merely saw it mentioned. Is this actually true, or is this just someone who burns through their clutch quickly?

lets say you scraped gardrail fender,door,quarter damage well body work dollars add up fast guessing $100 per hour 18hr labor +mirror $100-200+paint =maybe $2500-3500 . my 02 trans am got hit by shopping cart in the quarter panel and cracked door 1 inch cost to fix $1600.00