Proud owner of a New '08 Impreza WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Proud owner of a New '08 Impreza WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi! I'm BigDnm01 and i'm a proud owner of a Brand new 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-door wagon. Here is ...

Proud owner of a New '08 Impreza WRX

Hi! I'm BigDnm01 and i'm a proud owner of a Brand new 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-door wagon. Here is some info on it (that i got out of the brochure, hehe):

-color: WR Blue Mica
    -Engine: (EJ255), 2.5-Liter DOHC intercooled turbocharged
    aluminum alloy 16-valve 4-cylinder horizontally opposed SUBARU BOXER engine with Active Valve Control System. Iridium-tipped spark plugs
    -224hp @5200RPM
    -226Ft.lbs. @2800RPM
    -Compression Ratio: 8.4:1
    -Bore x Stroke: 99.5 x 79.0 mm
    -Intake System: Composite resin intake manifold, turbocharged with intercooler, MAX boost psi: 11.9
    - 4-speed electronically controlled automatic transmisson with SPORTSHIFT manual control (yah, i know...)
    - 20 mpg city/ 25 highway
    - 91 octane rating fuel (at least that what they say, i'm not gonna take my chances and maybe damage my engine/turbo

it's great for what it is now, but after the 3 year warranty and payments all paid off, i'm hoping to do some serious upgrade, i.e. new better turbo(s), body kits, maybe even a tranny swap (but then again maybe not....)

Note: this is my 2nd car ever, and the first of my choice (my first was force onto me without a decision). I've admired the WRX/STI and the AWD system in general for years now. It's a dream come true to be able to own such an great car. I've always heard great things about it, but funny that where i live, Kansas, u don't see much SUBARUs here, but me having one is a very special deal, and been getting alot of attention since i got it cuz it just so rare.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats.

Your car is much like mine-
    except for the color and transmission.

As for mods and such- I am not likely to wreck my warranty with major stuff either, but I am planning on swapping the swaybars.
    Some mods can be done with few worries, especially if Subaru parts (SPT) are used.

Enjoy the car, man.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    congrats. welcome to the club

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats, greetings and welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

So, i only have this car for like 2 weeks now, and only 500 miles on it. I was so excited and since it's new, i only got to thinking that i should be learning how to take care of it.

so the first thing that comes to mind is maintenance.

when i looked under the hood, first thing i think about is stuff like replacing spark plugs. I tried to spot the spark plug and can't find any. I wonder how easy it is to change spark plugs, there may be things in the way....

does the intake manifold needs to be removed in order to get to the spark plugs? what is the steps? can average joes like me able to like on normal cars, inline- and v-shaped engines? Does it needs a subaru technician to actually change it?

I'm sorry if i'm asking stupid questions and whatnot, but since this is my first Subaru, one-of-a-kind car. i want to know as mush as possible on how to properly take care of my car and do it myself as much as possible.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If the car is new, why are you worried about spark plugs?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Well.... i'm just thinkng ahead and worrying about this like this before hand so when the time comes, i have ample knowledge of how to do small tune-ups and repair on my car myself and without having to take it to the shop eveytime.

that's why i'm asking now and try to gain as much knowledge as possible...

But i just discovered the Maintence and Tutorials sections on this Forums and i guess i can look up over there...

thanks for the trouble, though....

Urgent! Please Reply!

DOUBLE POST! sorry....

but i have a important question....
    I know that with turbos, u have to let it cool down/idle after driving before u shut down the engine. Is it the same with my 2008 WRX? or is there something that already fix that. cuz i think i haven't been doing that and i'm scared that i might've damage my turbo...
    please REPLY ASAP.

You do not have to let our WRX idle for the turbo to cool. Our turbos are oil/water cooled, so even after you turn your car off and walk away, your turbo is safely cooling off.
    Last edited by McGizzle; 04-08-2008 at 05:47 AM.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDnm01 View Post
    DOUBLE POST! sorry....

but i have a important question....
    I know that with turbos, u have to let it cool down/idle after driving before u shut down the engine. Is it the same with my 2008 WRX? or is there something that already fix that. cuz i think i haven't been doing that and i'm scared that i might've damage my turbo...
    please REPLY ASAP.

There is a reason that WRXs, not only don't come with a TT (turbo timer) but they don't even list a cool down procedure in the owner's manual... It's really not needed and hasn't been for years. There isn't anything wrong with making you own cool down procedure or installing a TT on a basically stock WRX but the value is largely a perceived one. I'm sure many vendors that sell TTs will tell you it's a great investment but Subaru says otherwise.

June 2001 TechTIPS published by Subaru for Subaru Technicians states:
    "2002MY WRX TURBO COOL DOWN PROCEDURE:
    FHI's position regarding this is that it is not necessary to perform a "cool down/idling" procedure, as was recommended with past turbo models. Our current turbo engine has a far greater cooling capacity and, coupled with technology advances, makes this practice no longer necessary. This explains why information about cool down is not included in the 2002MY Impreza Owner's Manual.

The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."
    All this said if it makes you feel better to idle for a few seconds before you turn it off you're not going to hurt anything... Except the extra gas you burn.

Please take some time to explore the links in my signature.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Welcome to the club

so does everyone always leave the car run for a few extra minutes before shutting it off?
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post
    so does everyone always leave the car run for a few extra minutes before shutting it off?

I know some do, just for peace of mind. I don't...but then again I'm a 4k rpm limiting, granny shiftin', mofo.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

Sounds like you'll be ready for a 3rd car soon.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/07/s...with-turbod-2/
    Best take the car back to the dealership.

According to the article above, my car doesn't have that problem since It was manufactured at a earilier date. But still, i should keep a watch on it. but thanks for heads up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast