Dumb Guy and his Subaru.

This is a discussion on Dumb Guy and his Subaru. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I just bought a 2005 (?) Subaru WRX Sti. It has around 26k miles, and here in SoCal dealerships, ...

Dumb Guy and his Subaru.

Hello, I just bought a 2005 (?) Subaru WRX Sti.
    It has around 26k miles, and here in SoCal dealerships, it doesn't come very often. At the end I just had to swallow the final $24.6k OTD price.

Well, since I really need a car for work and an anime otaku at heart, a fun car like the STi might make me go out more. So under my father's supervision, I bought the car....
    A. Without the 4 squares.
    B. Without the test drive.
    C. Without checking CarFax.
    It was until the call to the Credit Union, that they had to check the auto history with DMV, that's when I realize, I really need to start the engine, hear the sound of it and the exaust, plus read some actual mileage.

As a newbie, I wonder if someone could help me know a bit about my car. I have 2 questions,
    the 2 holes on the steering wheel dash, was it there initially or something was removed?

Was the engine went through modifications and put back to stock?

And finally, a genuine newbie question. The VIN tag shows the car was manufactured back in 03/04, so technically, wasn't this car a 2004 not 2005?

Thank you for reading, have a great day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails car2.jpg   car3.jpg   car4.jpg   car5.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why would you by the car with out a test drive? sounds like you got a pretty fair price out of it I got mine down to the 24 grand market and it had 35K miles on it.

The two holes are more then likly from where a boost guage was mounted. As far as mods go... they swapped out the trunk for wrx wing i can tell you that. the car is an 04 / 05 pretty sure that vin is an 04 model is your e brake closer to the passanger seat or driver? if its the former then its an 04.
    Blobeye Syndicate #614

Mods: TurboXS TBE, Defi gauges, ACT HD 6-puck clutch and Steetlight fly
    Pro tune from Matt at 555motorsports
    http://555motorsports.net/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathrin View Post
    the car is an 04 / 05 pretty sure that vin is an 04 model is your e brake closer to the passanger seat or driver? if its the former then its an 04.
    Both that car and the car in your avatar appear to be 2005 models.

I can't tell from the picture if the motor has been modified but at least the heat shields are there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathrin View Post
    Why would you by the car with out a test drive? sounds like you got a pretty fair price out of it I got mine down to the 24 grand market and it had 35K miles on it.

The two holes are more then likly from where a boost guage was mounted. As far as mods go... they swapped out the trunk for wrx wing i can tell you that. the car is an 04 / 05 pretty sure that vin is an 04 model is your e brake closer to the passanger seat or driver? if its the former then its an 04.
    +1 on buying without a test drive.

I'm pretty sure the "5" in the VIN JF1GD70665L502071 designates it as an '05 model.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

I Support ClubWRX
    The body is 2005.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

I would take it to somebody that knows (and/or tunes) Subarus and have them check it out.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I have to admit, it was one of those classiest used dealership I've been to for the past 3 months. Of all the cars at the lot, this WRX was one of the few that was displayed in the show-room. Together with a 2006 Porche GT3, 2004 M3, and some G35s.

The car was probably a beater, since the previous owner also drives a 06 M3, looks really nice too. I notice the front bumper kit of the car is aftermarket, some of the screws were missing. I mean the more I look at the car, the more I wonder what exactly are those CarFax records (6 of them). But I promised myself not to find out since I already bought the vehicle. I mean any record on CarFax report couldn't possibly be good anyway.

I suppose my life philosophy is just to be happy everyday. Living paycheck to paycheck, life would stink even more if I drive a "normal" car like the new Camry or the new Accord. But once you've driven a car that actually can communicate with you and able to express your feelings, you could never go back and be happy.

Back in the days when my S2000 used to put a smile on my face when I drive. The STi often makes me laugh out loud.

welcome to the club!

i can't really tell if it is an 04 or 05 from the outside. it seems that you have an aftermarket front lip (looks like a greddy front lip), swapped wrx trunk/spoiler, and a 06/07 roof spoiler. eingine.

engine wise it doesn't seem to have any mods.
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #524
    "Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away"

Quote Originally Posted by Mohjong View Post
    I suppose my life philosophy is just to be happy everyday. Living paycheck to paycheck, life would stink even more if I drive a "normal" car like the new Camry or the new Accord. But once you've driven a car that actually can communicate with you and able to express your feelings, you could never go back and be happy.

Back in the days when my S2000 used to put a smile on my face when I drive. The STi often makes me laugh out loud.
    aaww brings a tear to my eye
    Blobeye Syndicate #614

Mods: TurboXS TBE, Defi gauges, ACT HD 6-puck clutch and Steetlight fly
    Pro tune from Matt at 555motorsports
    http://555motorsports.net/

nice STI! anime otaku??? me too! can't wait to go to the anime expo this year.

Thanks for helping me to identify the Greedy Gracer lip and look at the low-res pics I've provided.

Yep, I've registered for the 4 days already. Finally a chance to get out of the house.

I realized that I'm getting 17 mpg with the STi when I pump the gas 2nd time (226miles with 12.9 gallon).
    With the usual shift at 3000rpm, the most I did was taken the car to around 5000rpm twice when entering the freeway last weekend. Since I'm driving mostly streets, I rarely hit the gas.

Wonder if I could benefit some if installed a Cobb AP to monitor the mpg?

If you go with the Cobb AP you can flash the Stage 1 map and pick up some power and better mileage. These cars run rich and a little leaning of the fuel curve, done properly, can get you both power and economy depending on the position of your right foot.

FYI my '04 has an 03/03 build date.

Have fun.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.