New guy from NJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New guy from NJ within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I just joined because I am looking to get a newer car now that I work full time. ...

New guy from NJ

Hey all, I just joined because I am looking to get a newer car now that I work full time. I am a former Rx-7 and DSM'er and I wanted a car that was a fairly quick daily driver. Having driven a few WRX's before including my friends one that had over 400whp, I like them enough to spend some money on one. I have a few questions before buying oen that I am researching as much as I can, but I hope to own one soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

welcome aboard
    2004 WRB WRX Stage2+ << SOLD
    2004 PSM STi << FOR SALE
    Blobeye Syndicate # 32
    Dirty Crew # 32
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    They're usually way too busy popping their BOV's at me anyways. If I put an anti-neon sign on my FMIC I'd really never get to grocery shop in peace.

Thanks, I am looking to get a 02-04. Are there any recommendation's as to which year is better and which to get? I only plan on intake and exhaust down the road but as I have read, you can't do either without ecu management which kinda stinks. But that is fine as I am going to have to finance it anyway, so I can drive it stock for awhile.

Welcome. I here '04 wagons are pretty cool but what do I know.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson
    Military Militia #2006 Blobeye Syndicate #2006
    My Blobeye now debadged pictures soon, hopefully / Did that der silencer delete that's like 30hp right,

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    I would look into used STI's if you plan to mod past stage 2 (uppipe, downpipe and engine management in the 2.0L WRXs, downpipe and engine management in the 2.5L WRXs). You can find decent ones in the lower $20k range if you look hard enough. The WRX's transmission becomes a liability past stage 2 power levels if it's your daily driver. I have a 2.5L WRX and I won't even go stage 2 b/c of the high torque numbers.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Nah, my price range is around 11-13k. I don't have interest in an Sti, but I also don't plan anymore then uppipe and exhaust with management. Wagon or sedan doesn't matter to me either.

where in nj u from?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

Quote Originally Posted by rotorocker View Post
    Nah, my price range is around 11-13k. I don't have interest in an Sti, but I also don't plan anymore then uppipe and exhaust with management. Wagon or sedan doesn't matter to me either.
    I love the bug-eyes ('02-03 model years) but they tend to have weak gears depending on your driving style. The transmission got wider gears in the middle of '03 production so if you can find an '03 with a late manufactured date that would be your best bet. You would probably be safer with an '04-05 in your case...if you can find one in that range.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Oh, I had heard something about gears in 03 but that helps me a lot. I drive assertively but I don't slam gears. DSM's have similar problems with trannies and I never had my old tranny grind. (first thing I did was put synthetic fluid in). But I would def look into an 03 since they are very similar in price.

I am from Manalapan NJ, I just graduated Rutgers and moved back home from New Brunswick.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorocker View Post
    Oh, I had heard something about gears in 03 but that helps me a lot. I drive assertively but I don't slam gears. DSM's have similar problems with trannies and I never had my old tranny grind. (first thing I did was put synthetic fluid in). But I would def look into an 03 since they are very similar in price.

I am from Manalapan NJ, I just graduated Rutgers and moved back home from New Brunswick.
    The early '03's still have the old, thinner gears. It was about midway through the '03 production where they upgraded to 1mm thicker gears. I'm not sure of the exact date when the production began but I'm sure it's on here somewhere if you search.
    2006 Panty Dropper

welcome - check the links in my sig

save for an STI
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

haha thanks for the links, but I would get an evo over an sti any day. I just needed something fairly quick and new which an 02-04 wrx happens to fit well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Danke. Now do you know if there is there any difference besides aesthetics between the 03-04's? That stronger gearing in '03 was helpful. I think I read something about the 04's and the difference in modding them versus an 02-03, although I don't know to what extent. Since I only would do UP, and TBE I don't know if that would even affect me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast