Hey! New WRX Owner

This is a discussion on Hey! New WRX Owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey how's going? My name is Dade. I am new to Subaru, but not new to tuning. I actually traded ...

Hey! New WRX Owner

Hey how's going? My name is Dade. I am new to Subaru, but not new to tuning. I actually traded my 2005 Evo VIII for the 2008 Dark Gray Metallic WRX Sedan. Some think I'm crazy, but you know just walking into the Mitsu dealership showing interest in the Evo X, did it for me. The sales people were once again rude, inconsiderate, and obviously not wanting to make a deal happen. Oh well, Subaru definitely picked up where Mitsu left off. I chose the WRX vs. the new STI for the simple fact that I am not crazy about the wagon. Nothing against anyone who has one... Just not for me. I promise you guys that it will be one of the cleanest sickest WRX's. If you knew me or my previous Evo you would understand. You can check out my Evo and my new WRX on my myspace page.

It's myspace.com/tedriclolis

Thanks everyone and as much help with my first couple of steps would be appreciated. I have already done plenty of searching. Don't even try it!!! My Evo had 375 awhp and was my daily driver up until I traded it with 86,000 miles. I think that says plenty about how I care for my vehicles. This fortunately won't be my daily driver. So in other words will be 10x nicer than my Evo. Hit me up guys with help and ideas. I have already debadged the rear, and plan on lowering, sway bars, wider wheels, short shifter, shift knob, and if you guys know where I can get an aftermarket lip. Then I will start the performance modding after plenty of research hours. I'm in no hurry. I want to do this right, so it will be reliable and strong. Thanks, Dade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails l_01b4da17df64a95af2f4a24f020be1ea.jpg   l_3fc730dfc50839f2502d1984885a89b7.jpg   l_801acb5a209422f178a2bb4a152ecd4c.jpg  
    Last edited by Dade County; 03-10-2008 at 04:16 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

+1 for the sedan. To start out get some sort of engine management(COBB,open source tuning) then a downpipe if they make for 08 yet??? For the intake leave it stock until you are making big power numbers. Do not get a bov unless it is recirculating back into the intake. Then if you still want more, get a bigger turbo welcome to the club!
    06 WRX VF39ED
    Wingl3ss @lliance #20
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Thanks. Yeah the parts are kinda the problem. Trying to find a site that has a bunch of reasonable parts that are currently ready is tough. It's crazy how different these cars are to mod. Like for instance, you don't even really need management on the Evo. If you choose to you can, but not a necessity. I really need to research the whole management thing since it is so new to me. I promise you I will trust you guys though. I'm not about to waste my money on stuff that either doesn't help or make things worse. Fire away with ideas. I would ultimately like to set a goal of 350-400 awhp, but obviously things change

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    , you don't even really need management on the Evo. If you choose to you can, but not a necessity. :
    yes you do
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Not trying to cause i huge debate or discredit your info, but trust me my car was tuned by ISP Racing in MD using their dyno. There maybe a confusion between management and tune. I left the shop with 375 awhp on a dynojet on stock turbo and never had a problem whatsoever. Now if you are trying to tell me that I ran around with that much horsepower without some type of stand alone management and I am crazy than that's a different story. Nobody said you didn't have to have it tuned... You just don't need a stand alone comp or anything unless you have upgraded your turbo and done even more major modifications. Sorry for the confusion, but I can guarantee you I didn't need to purchase one or I would have. I don't half a** anything, so that is why I am hoping for good, helpful input not just random comments.

But just for giggles I will give you the mods...

AMS Intercooler
    AMS TurboBack Exhaust
    Injen Intake Upper/Lower Intercooler Piping Kit
    Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
    Megan o2 Housing
    Megan Manifold
    Comp 280 Cams
    ARP Headstuds
    Hallman Pro Boost Controller
    JDM MR BOV (no hp gains obviously)
    Tuned by ISP Racing
    Last edited by Dade County; 03-10-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Tuned by ISP Racing
    this is the same as engine management. a tune=a custom ECU map.

you dont need EM on a subie with a tune
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman

Thanks for the clarification. So would you recommend buying an access port or just waiting until I get the parts installed (once I figure out what is safely and reliably going to work best for my goal) and then tuning? I know that at least with the Evo without a custom flash you may run into problems over an extended period or even initially in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. So would you recommend buying an access port or just waiting until I get the parts installed (once I figure out what is safely and reliably going to work best for my goal) and then tuning? I know that at least with the Evo without a custom flash you may run into problems over an extended period or even initially in some cases.
    if your wanting to get some quick power without hassle get the AP.

also are you aware that subaru does not cover warranty on modified vehicles for failures that are any way related?

With a custom flash your tuner needs to be close so you can get to him if something goes wrong, with an Ap if you do the recommended mods you will be reliable.

Thanks for your help. I have seen the AP on a couple different websites. I will definitely look into it. I am in no rush. I want my car to be safe and reliable even though it won't be a daily driver. Oh and believe me, I know all about warranty b.s. remember I had an evo. You would think mitsubishi wouldn't want to harass and mistreat the only loyal owners in there vehicle line up (probably the only thing keeping them out of bankruptcy) I love my Evo to death. The dealers on the other hand...

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Looks like you are more than well on your way here.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey there.. welcome to teh Club...

AP is worth getting.. and can really get the most out of all the mods you plan on getting with a Custom Tune. Its the way I'd go, but they do have OTS maps from Cobb you can run. But in some cases, OTS maps suck. I have a few friends that ran off OTS maps(on the forum) and had problems, and I know of one person who has had no issues. You'll have tons of great people here to give some insite! Keep us posted on what you end up doing.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Definitely will. Thanks for all the help. It was nice when I purchased my Evo to have some people kind of guide me along. I appreciate you guys doing the same. It's unbelievable how different these cars really are. I love this car so much already. I can only imagine the possibilities for power.

As everyone has said previously, welcome to the club! Your definitely no stranger to modding, and I think your being very smart about it.

Once again, welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.