Pickin up an 04 sti tomm
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Pickin up an 04 sti tomm within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I am currently driving an 00 audi s4, its basically a pos. I have had so much trouble ...

Pickin up an 04 sti tomm

Hey guys,
    I am currently driving an 00 audi s4, its basically a pos. I have had so much trouble out of it..its not even funny. But tomorrow I am hopefully going to pick up an 04 White Sti. Its only got 14k miles, they are asking 22k for it. It has a BOV, intake (not sure which brands on either), larger intercooler but its still top mounted, and it has fully electronic adjustable TIEN suspension, and some different wheels, not sure the brand on those either but they are brushed steel. But no exhaust

So heres my question, I have looked on some vids of some ppl taking off the cats or the muffler or something and it sounds really nice. Does anyone have any info on this? What are your thoughts about doing it temporarily until I get the money for a full exhaust. I love the sound of an sti with exhaust, and this seemed like a good alternative until then.

On another note, they say the car is still under factory warranty until 60k miles or so many years. Does anyone know how many years the factory warranty is for?

Thanks for your input. Looking forward to the sti lifestyle

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i'd ask some questions before you buy..

Seems like it was previously modded with more power mods and parted them out. Bigger TMIC usually means bigger turbo at some time. Probably had an aftermarket exhaust on it at one point too. BOVs arent really necessary unless you go over 20psi. Which is entirely possible if they put that bigger TMIC to use with a bigger turbo etc etc..

Ask the seller why the BOV/Intake and bigger TMIC was installed. If they did have other mods on the car, ask for a list and also ask if they used engine management or got it tuned. The low miles might mean that this car was not a daily driver and was driven for fun at the track. These are all assumptions of course, so it doesnt hurt to ask!

hello and welcome to the club

just wait and save for a tbe and an ap

inspect the car to see if there might of been any other aftermarket parts
    post some pics if possible
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I'd be very wary of that car. 22k for an '04 with only 14k miles? The price is great, but why is the mileage so low? Why does it have a weird mix of parts on it? Either it had a lot of other mods at some point, or it was modded incorrectly and that could have caused some damage. BOVs are bad on these cars unless you're running really high boost, which would mean the car had a bigger turbo at some point, which means it has probably seen some hard use. The intake is also unnecessary unless there was a bigger turbo.

Who are you buying it from? Dealer or private party? I would definitely have it inspected by a mechanic and in particular I'd have him look to see if the exhaust and/or turbo was replaced at some point. It's going to be pretty apparent.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'd be very wary of that car. 22k for an '04 with only 14k miles? The price is great, but why is the mileage so low? Why does it have a weird mix of parts on it? Either it had a lot of other mods at some point, or it was modded incorrectly and that could have caused some damage. BOVs are bad on these cars unless you're running really high boost, which would mean the car had a bigger turbo at some point, which means it has probably seen some hard use. The intake is also unnecessary unless there was a bigger turbo.

Who are you buying it from? Dealer or private party? I would definitely have it inspected by a mechanic and in particular I'd have him look to see if the exhaust and/or turbo was replaced at some point. It's going to be pretty apparent.
    I guess I wouldn't jump to any of these conclusions... I see lots of people post on this forum initial mods that most of us don't agree with. Just 2 days ago some new to the forum posted that their first mod was a BOV, followed by a large TMIC. While it does sound suspicious, just get the car checked out thoroughly. You will find most people here wouldn't do those mods without first getting a new DP and tune, but you never know....
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.