New car!! what rims should i get - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New car!! what rims should i get within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by teflon_jones I'd go with 17" x 7" wheels. Normally I like 18" wheels, but I really think ...

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'd go with 17" x 7" wheels. Normally I like 18" wheels, but I really think 17" wheels look better on a WRX. They're also lighter. I also wouldn't go to 7.5" unless you're planning on adding a decent amount of power to the car. You can get plenty of grip with the AWD with the tires that will fit on 7" wheels. Unsprung weight is your biggest enemy!

If that hood weighs 7 lbs then my name is Shirley. Maybe 17 lbs, but not 7!
    Honestly 17"s? I really like the rota torque wheels, especially the all shiny gun metal. I'm debating 17s only because i don't want to raise my car. It's set at the lowest on megan racing suspension and i question 18s, will it rub? Rota torques are sweet, but are they light? the key here is light. If i have a cf hood, going for trunk, might as well get light wheels; i'll do some research tonithe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does anyone like the volcom sticker

Quote Originally Posted by bplayer2002us View Post
    Honestly 17"s? I really like the rota torque wheels, especially the all shiny gun metal. I'm debating 17s only because i don't want to raise my car. It's set at the lowest on megan racing suspension and i question 18s, will it rub? Rota torques are sweet, but are they light? the key here is light. If i have a cf hood, going for trunk, might as well get light wheels; i'll do some research tonithe.
    you want light...and 18's???

have you ever taken a physics class?
    wikipedia what inertia is and tell us again what you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by bplayer2002us View Post
    Yes, honestly. The wheels in the pics below are 17" wheels and I think the proportion of them to the car is perfect. I'm guessing an 18" is going to rub a little somewhere if you have the car set to the lowest setting, but there's no way to really tell unless somebody has exactly the same setup. If having light wheels is your #1 criteria, then the answer is 17" wheels since they will always be significantly lighter than 18" wheels of the same type. 17" wheels will also be cheaper, and so will the tires you put on them. The only question is whether to get 7" or 7.5" width. You don't need the additional traction of 7.5" wheels and they're going to weigh more, but there's other variables here such as if you plan on any serious power upgrades, you probably want the additional traction of the wider wheels. I'm assuming you have 7" wide wheels now. Do you ever break your tires loose when you don't want to?

Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    you want light...and 18's???

have you ever taken a physics class?
    wikipedia what inertia is and tell us again what you would like.
    It's not like theres not lightweight 18in wheels, but given the same amount of money a 17 will be always be lighter. The hard part is going to to be finding and 18 thats lighter than the stock 16's without spending a fortune.

I think 17's look right for the WRX some cars look better with 18's + but ther wrx is not one of them.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Yes, honestly. The wheels in the pics below are 17" wheels and I think the proportion of them to the car is perfect. I'm guessing an 18" is going to rub a little somewhere if you have the car set to the lowest setting, but there's no way to really tell unless somebody has exactly the same setup. If having light wheels is your #1 criteria, then the answer is 17" wheels since they will always be significantly lighter than 18" wheels of the same type. 17" wheels will also be cheaper, and so will the tires you put on them. The only question is whether to get 7" or 7.5" width. You don't need the additional traction of 7.5" wheels and they're going to weigh more, but there's other variables here such as if you plan on any serious power upgrades, you probably want the additional traction of the wider wheels. I'm assuming you have 7" wide wheels now. Do you ever break your tires loose when you don't want to?

Nah never do my tires break loose. I want 18s because they fill the wheel well gap better but lighter wheels and tires would give better performance and the benefit of not rubbing. I'll go with 17 x 7 just to be safe. Gun metal or black, it's coming down to the decision

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    It's not like theres not lightweight 18in wheels, but given the same amount of money a 17 will be always be lighter. The hard part is going to to be finding and 18 thats lighter than the stock 16's without spending a fortune.

I think 17's look right for the WRX some cars look better with 18's + but ther wrx is not one of them.
    finding an 18 with the same moment of inertia as a 16 would be near impossible.

an 18" wheel that has the same mass as a 16" wheel will be harder to stop as it has a greater moment of inertia.

put simply inertia=mass*radius^2

an 18" wheel that has the same mass as a 16" wheel will be harder to stop as it has a greater moment of inertia.

Oh ok I see what your getting at. I was talking strictly about weight, but there is the bigger picture. Were on the same page I think.
    FORZA FERRARI

Oh ok I see what your getting at. I was talking strictly about weight, but there is the bigger picture. Were on the same page I think.
    awesome!

doesn't the Z have 18's or 19's?

and OP: go black

awesome!

doesn't the Z have 18's or 19's?

and OP: go black
    pre 06 had 17's 06+ had 18. (I think the track model had 18's pre 06 and 19's 06+) Mine had 18's and thats what I stayed with but I was able to shave off about 8lb per wheel vs the ****ty stock ones.

A lot of z people get 19's and 20's
    FORZA FERRARI

pre 06 had 17's 06+ had 18. (I think the track model had 18's pre 06 and 19's 06+) Mine had 18's and thats what I stayed with but I was able to shave off about 8lb per wheel vs the ****ty stock ones.

A lot of z people get 19's and 20's
    32 lbs...not bad.

also cav, shaving 8 lbs off an 18 inch wheel will be a more noticable change than 8 lbs off a 16" once again due to the inertia.

32 lbs...not bad.

also cav, shaving 8 lbs off an 18 inch wheel will be a more noticable change than 8 lbs off a 16" once again due to the inertia.
    Wait, what is 32 lbs? If we're talking weights for a wheel, that's really, really heavy!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Wait, what is 32 lbs? If we're talking weights for a wheel, that's really, really heavy!
    We got kind of off topic.

I was saying I saved 8lbs per wheel with my new wheels and he was just saying thats 32lb's total not bad.

32lb wheels would be insanely heavy.
    FORZA FERRARI

Banned

Ha Ha silly engineering boy.

I think you meant mass moment of inertia. Are you in dynamics bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Ha Ha silly engineering boy.

I think you meant mass moment of inertia. Are you in dynamics bro?
    no not yet.
    i'm on a weird freaking schedule!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast