New subaru owner Just got a black 2008 STI - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on New subaru owner Just got a black 2008 STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I just test drove an 08 STI on Friday. I really like this car, and I'm going to try ...

Thumbs up

So I just test drove an 08 STI on Friday. I really like this car, and I'm going to try to get one I think very similar to yours. The BBS and foglights are cool, but not $2000 extra cool. I'm hoping on paying less than MSRP, hopefully right around invoice at the end of the month on a base STI. If I can't get that, I will suck it up and go with a regular WRX.

My first impressions test driving the STI is that I was very suprised how friendly it was to drive. I used to have a Mustang that I modded some, and drove the regular WRX. I had buddies when I was younger with supercharged Z28s, and some other fast cars, but I never had anything much over 240hp or so. I was a lttle nervous driving the STI, I had never piloted a 300hp car. Needless to say, it was all very routine. In fact, I was mostly suprised when driving the car, it didn't seem as crazy fast as I expected compared to the regular W. I'm not sure if that's because my wife and I got to drive the WRX without the dealer in the car, or something else. Don't get me wrong, it was fast, but it mostly felt like a tighter WRX, not the thrust that my buddy's 1990s 300hp Corvette had.

I wonder if there are diminishing returns on the boost, etc. from an STI at altitude. (I live near the ski resorts in Colorado). I test drove the car at around 6000ft.

What was totally sweet is I did my test drive in Glenwood Canyon, following the Colorado River with some nice sweeping curves. I don't care what the car magazines say, this car was like being on rails...

I agree with the whole BBS + other extras. I'm in the price range of getting a base level STI with the regular rims (I think they look good) and save the $2000 for my new higher insurance and premium dino juice.

If I can get close to invoice on the right car, I'm in (which I usually can do with Fighting Chance) but MRRP is basically the highest possible price the dealer hopes to get. I will post and let you know what happens.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Haha, I've been away for a while - didn't think you liked the 08s, are they growing on you now? I also sat in an 08 (dealer will not let me drive it on snow ), not too different from the WRX inside but from the outside it has a nicer look. I can see myself going in this direction when my lease is up (wife permitting). If the OP wants to swap wives whilst I'm at the dealers, just let me know
    I am very impressed by the New interior , I like the Hatchback,but i cant seem to come around to the new sedans exterior.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    Congrats, I just drove one today and..... wow. I was impressed. If only i had $39,000.....
    I sat in an STI over the weekend while my wife and I were getting her Legacy GT serviced and I just wasn't very impressed. The seats in the Evo X that I sat in on Saturday were exponentially better and, with a sticker price of ~$39,900 it's just ridiculous. There are much better cars that I would spend nearly $40,000 on.

This goes for the Evo X too, as the one I sat in was a GSR model with a $35k+ sticker on it. They didn't even have any MR models around but I'd imagine they'd be closer to $40k. The new Rallyart model, whenever it comes out, will be a much better deal IMO. Evidently it's supposed to be running a slightly detuned version of the Evo X engine with the Evo IX drive train as a direct competitor to the WRX.

I'm sorry to say, but both Subaru and Mitsubishi are moving in the wrong direction with these cars.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post
    I sat in an STI over the weekend while my wife and I were getting her Legacy GT serviced and I just wasn't very impressed. The seats in the Evo X that I sat in on Saturday were exponentially better and, with a sticker price of ~$39,900 it's just ridiculous. There are much better cars that I would spend nearly $40,000 on.

This goes for the Evo X too, as the one I sat in was a GSR model with a $35k+ sticker on it. They didn't even have any MR models around but I'd imagine they'd be closer to $40k. The new Rallyart model, whenever it comes out, will be a much better deal IMO. Evidently it's supposed to be running a slightly detuned version of the Evo X engine with the Evo IX drive train as a direct competitor to the WRX.

I'm sorry to say, but both Subaru and Mitsubishi are moving in the wrong direction with these cars.
    I haven't had the chance to see, or sit in, the new evo, but try taking the STI for a test drive sometime. It might change your opinion slightly. It changed my perspective from "WTF was subaru thinking" to "ok...i can dig it".

IMO, Mitsubishi can't compete with the reliability of a Subaru.

I have no doubt that both the STI and the Evo X are great cars. My whole point is that when the prices for both are starting to creep up close to the $40k mark I'm going to start looking at other cars. They are still pretty much right on top of the "bang-for-your-buck" category it's just that they are starting to push into a price range that they may not be prepared to go in.

I think that the $40k is for the fully loaded BBS + Navigation setup. You can get into a base one in the $34's. This is still a lot of money for what started life as a $15k econo-car, but once you drive it, it becomes pretty evident that it is probably worth the money. I started out looking at Audi's and the one that is probably closest, performance-wise is the s4 which is in the $50k+ range. I could get an A3 with AWD and the V6 for about the same price, or a mid-range 2.0L A4. The A3 is pretty fun to drive, and the A4 is a nice car, but is less fun to drive than a regular WRX.

If you hadn't noticed, I'm part of the "new market" that Subaru is hitting with these cars. I never liked the old WRXs and the wing from the old STIs is ridiculous. I never quite "got" the styling. It always looked like the guy who designed my rubbermaid laundry basket, and a guy from Ficher-Price, and someone who designs lawn mowers got together and drew something up. At least now it looks like a car, and I am all about the stealth factor; let the car do the talking, not glitter, wings, and the like.

Anyways, I'm not sure what else in that price range would be as much fun to drive, as reliable, and practical for winter driving (and doesn't have the country club snob factor).

Just my .02 cents.

I suppose that we'll just have to agree to disagree about whether or not the new market for the WRX/STI is a good move for Subaru or not.

Anyway, welcome to our club and enjoy your new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post
    I have no doubt that both the STI and the Evo X are great cars. My whole point is that when the prices for both are starting to creep up close to the $40k mark I'm going to start looking at other cars. They are still pretty much right on top of the "bang-for-your-buck" category it's just that they are starting to push into a price range that they may not be prepared to go in.
    I agree completely. For some who are looking at the 08 sti, it comes down to whether you want a luxury car that doesn't offer as much (as far as modifications or just the feel of the car), or if you want something that can be tuned a little more and is a fun drive, exactly what snowrider said.

But again, congrats and enjoy. The car looks amazing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123