Hi I have a simple question about my WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hi I have a simple question about my WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am recently a new owner of a 2002 Subaru Wrx. I have been noticing that when i take hard ...

Hi I have a simple question about my WRX

I am recently a new owner of a 2002 Subaru Wrx. I have been noticing that when i take hard turns around bends there is a slight humming noise. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me possible causes for this noise.

I was also wondering, what mods have people been mainly putting into this beast? Any suggestions, my car right now is stock but I'm a guy also looking for better performance

I would greatly appreciate any comments and thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subie814 View Post
    I am recently a new owner of a 2002 Subaru Wrx. I have been noticing that when i take hard turns around bends there is a slight humming noise. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me possible causes for this noise.

I was also wondering, what mods have people been mainly putting into this beast? Any suggestions, my car right now is stock but I'm a guy also looking for better performance

I would greatly appreciate any comments and thank you
    the most effective first mods are catless uppipe and turbo back exhaust and engine management like the cobb accessport.

that will get you lots more power without reducing reliability.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

As a newbie that has done a buttload of reading recently, you need to ask yourself a couple important questions. In lamest of laymans language...

How much are you willing to "invest" ? LOL
    Are you in a state where emissions are not too strict?
    Do you want it or care if it's loud/quiet?
    Fun car or everyday car?

I am on a fairly tight budget, I want my car(bone stock 2003 WRX) to stay pretty quiet, but I want a few more horses and keep it reliable for everyday travel. New York State.
    After advice from a couple vets here and some hours(and hours) of reading, my best bet is to EM(engine management, tuning/changing stock computer stats for better performance) first. This can increase overall performance(20-30hp Cobb claims) WITHOUT any engine part mods. Maybe just airbox or filter improvement. Looking at about $800 for EM and K&N filter, $900-1,000 with improved airbox.
    Catless uppipe and turbo-back exhaust will be more in the $1500-$2000 range, but you MUST have EM ($700+-) to use these, so plan on close to $3000 IF you do all the work yourself. My numbers are generous(expensive), mostly for higher quality/brand parts.
    If you are lucky or have connections, you might be able to find someone to tune it for you without purchasing the EM package yourself, a HUGE savings. But I think I would like to have my own because it comes with multiple settings like valet(so if you have someone valet park your car, the boost and all are "dumbed down" so they cant go blasting in your car) and settings for different octanes, god forbid you cant find 93.
    I want my car to remain a "sleeper" and NY emissions are stricter now, so I will keep a cat somewhere in my exhaust, probably after turbo.
    There are ways to "gut" your uppipe for free'er breathing, you can find instructions somewhere on the site here, instead of buying another.
    Do yourself a favor, do a bunch of reading on the site. Most of your questions will be answered before you ask them.

This place rules!

ALL WE'LL DRIVE!!!
    Last edited by DirtModJunkie; 03-02-2008 at 11:19 PM.
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by DirtModJunkie
    I am on a fairly tight budget, I want my car(bone stock 2003 WRX) to stay pretty quiet, but I want a few more horses and keep it reliable for everyday travel. New York State.
    Some states (NY included) require a visual inspection - others do not. Check your local ordinances.

After advice from a couple vets here and some hours(and hours) of reading, my best bet is to EM(engine management, tuning/changing stock computer stats for better performance) first. This can increase overall performance(20-30hp Cobb claims) WITHOUT any engine part mods. Maybe just airbox or filter improvement. Looking at about $800 for EM and K&N filter, $900-1,000 with improved airbox.
    The Cobb AP is by far the most popular choice. You can also look into open-source tuning. For this, you'd need a tactrix cable (<$100) and a laptop - if you know where to look, you could probably find a local Subaru owner who would be willing to help you out to save you from buying the tactrix. You can get a StageII XPT map (open-source) for approximately $75, I believe. This would cut down seriously on your costs.

Catless uppipe and turbo-back exhaust will be more in the $1500-$2000 range, but you MUST have EM ($700+-) to use these, so plan on close to $3000 IF you do all the work yourself. My numbers are generous(expensive), mostly for higher quality/brand parts.
    If you are lucky or have connections, you might be able to find someone to tune it for you without purchasing the EM package yourself, a HUGE savings. But I think I would like to have my own because it comes with multiple settings like valet(so if you have someone valet park your car, the boost and all are "dumbed down" so they cant go blasting in your car) and settings for different octanes, god forbid you cant find 93.
    If I were you, I'd peruse through the for sale threads on here/Nasioc. You can find some pretty good deals on getting used exhaust parts. 2.0L engines don't have an issue with boost creep, so you can save some $$ (again, check your local ordinances about a visual inspection - if they don't require it, then it's just an OBDII check, and as long as you don't throw a CEL, you'll probably pass).

I want my car to remain a "sleeper" and NY emissions are stricter now, so I will keep a cat somewhere in my exhaust, probably after turbo.
    There are ways to "gut" your uppipe for free'er breathing, you can find instructions somewhere on the site here, instead of buying another.
    Do yourself a favor, do a bunch of reading on the site. Most of your questions will be answered before you ask them.
    You may want to look into the TurboXS Stealthback exhaust. This will mate up to the stock muffler, which will help avoid any "modified exhaust" tickets. When I get the cash, that's probably the route I'm going to go.

I would advise against gutting the UP, personally. If you want to save some money by gutting, do it in the DP. The last thing you want is for you to have pieces of platinum get sucked into the turbo. Spend the money and just buy an aftermarket UP.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showpo...73&postcount=4

Micah put together a good set of information for Bugeye ('02/'03) owners. You may want to take a look.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

welcome new people
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I would advise against gutting the UP, personally. If you want to save some money by gutting, do it in the DP. The last thing you want is for you to have pieces of platinum get sucked into the turbo. Spend the money and just buy an aftermarket UP.
    Yikes! Sorry for making that mistake. DP is what I should've said
    Micah's sigs is where most of my reading began
    Thanks for cleaning up my spill, skoaldipper.
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    See my Bugeye here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtModJunkie View Post
    Yikes! Sorry for making that mistake. DP is what I should've said
    Micah's sigs is where most of my reading began
    Thanks for cleaning up my spill, skoaldipper.
    No problem.

I notice you're from Orange County. I know people on Nasioc have a Hudson Valley meet every Friday. You may want to take a look at that thread, and if it's not too far from you, you should attend. It'd be a good place to meet some local Subaru owners.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    No problem.

I notice you're from Orange County. I know people on Nasioc have a Hudson Valley meet every Friday. You may want to take a look at that thread, and if it's not too far from you, you should attend. It'd be a good place to meet some local Subaru owners.
    Very cool. Where in NY you at?
    I will check it out.
    Thanx again.

-Boris
    See my Bugeye here

no one has mentioned your noise problem.
    do you know whereabouts its coming from?

I believe the noise is coming from the tirods? The noise only comes when im doing sharp turns with my car. I'm only asking because i would rather have it get looked at properly before it gets worse.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK slide under the car and look for obvious problems with the steering and shafts. Remove the plastic splash shield if need be and/or safely lift and support the car to check. When lifted, see if there is any play anywhere.

Also -- see if either tyre rubs by checking for tread wear and/or marks on the fender lining from hitting rubber.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I know tires don't normally hum....but maybe it's the tires? Or road noise??

I just bought a 2002 WRX wagon that makes a slight scraping noise when I turn left hard and hit the gas through the turn. It sounds like tire scraping wheel well, but I'm not sure.

Is it possible that the rear diff makes noises? This noise always sounds like it's coming from the passenger rear corner.

I know this doesn't help exactly, but I have the same car making a similar noise.

Quote Originally Posted by WrecksWruthor View Post
    I just bought a 2002 WRX wagon that makes a slight scraping noise when I turn left hard and hit the gas through the turn. It sounds like tire scraping wheel well, but I'm not sure.

Is it possible that the rear diff makes noises? This noise always sounds like it's coming from the passenger rear corner.

I know this doesn't help exactly, but I have the same car making a similar noise.
    How many miles?

2002 WRX wagon, 69K miles. At first I thought the noise was something rattling around but I'm almost positive it's coming from the rear outside the car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.