Hi I have a simple question about my WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Hi I have a simple question about my WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by subie814 The noise only comes when im doing sharp turns with my car. Can you describe the ...

Quote Originally Posted by subie814 View Post
    The noise only comes when im doing sharp turns with my car.
    Can you describe the noise any more specifically? How loud? Specifically where you think you're hearing from? I don't know what it is, but I'm trying to figure out if my car is making the same noises.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the noise only occurs only during sharp turns, its a slight humming noise, i believe it may be from the tye rod end or a possible tear in the boot.

its a slight humming noise
    Alright, then. I'm pretty sure we have two different problems. My noise is more of a scrape with perhaps a bit of a whir as well. And it is only when I turn left.

I'm not trying to threadjack, but does someone have a tactrix that could PM me the pinout, I'm curious about some things...

could be your dust shield on your brakes.
    GOT BOOST!!

Registered User The Black Pearl's Avatar
    Wheel bearing?

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Are the wheels on your car stock? ie, do you have wider or larger rims than stock? It actually could be the tire if that is the case.

What do you mean hard turn? Almost all power steering pumps will whine when they get to full rotation - the pump is working really hard.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Are the wheels on your car stock? ie, do you have wider or larger rims than stock?
    What do you mean hard turn? Almost all power steering pumps will whine when they get to full rotation - the pump is working really hard.
    My wheels are stock, and it's not the power steering. I know that noise, but it's when the steering wheel is locked. It makes the noise when, for example, I turn left 90 degrees at an intersection at 20+mph. And no, it's not skidding either. Thank you for the reply though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Pearl View Post
    Wheel bearing?
    I thought those tended to squeal and groan, and make noise at all times not just while cornering.

I have experienced the exact sound.
    Only on extreme left turns, slight scrape/rubbing sound. Sounds more like from the front left on my '03 WRX.
    I also have a Nissan Sentra SE-R and I put 1 size bigger tire on it, 195/55 to 205/60(actually dia. is real close, just a smidge wider), and it almost does the identical sound. I have to believe it's tire rub you are hearing.
    I guess be sure it's from the back like you say. JMO
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

Quote Originally Posted by DirtModJunkie View Post
    I have experienced the exact sound.
    Only on extreme left turns, slight scrape/rubbing sound. Sounds more like from the front left on my '03 WRX.
    I also have a Nissan Sentra SE-R and I put 1 size bigger tire on it, 195/55 to 205/60(actually dia. is real close, just a smidge wider), and it almost does the identical sound. I have to believe it's tire rub you are hearing.
    I guess be sure it's from the back like you say. JMO
    I certainly hope it's tire rub and not something worse. I think I will just not turn left as fast. Diagnosing noises is almost impossible even when you get a mechanic to hear them, much less just with describing them.

My Car is fully stock, it currently has Michelin tires that i got from the dealer. Its a very minor humming sound when im turning left. I am only concerned about this issue because this is my baby and my first time own a Subaru. I wanted to come here to hear what experts and other subaru owners had to say about my problem. Do you believe i have to immediately take it to the deal right away?

Do you believe i have to immediately take it to the deal right away?
    Obviously I can't be sure without hearing the noise you're describing, but as we are driving the same car and talking about similar noises under similar conditions, I'm going to guess that we are hearing tire noise and that it's nothing to worry about. Check your tire pressure and look in the passenger wheel wells for rubbing. If you don't see anything, I doubt there is a big issue. I will let you know if I ever get it looked at. Keep me posted if you do end up going to the dealer with it, although I probably wouldn't bother if I were you.

More Evidence

Upon closer inspection, my passenger side rear tire (which is where I'm hearing noise from) show signs of rubbing. The sidewall has a narrow scrape that runs parallel to the outer circumference of the rim all the way around. The marking is about halfway between the rim and the tread. I will try to post pics when I can.

I think that what's happening is that the body is rolling enough to touch the sidewall to the wheel well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12