Looking to buy a wrx

This is a discussion on Looking to buy a wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys im looking into buying a wrx and have been reading up on them. I am looking at a ...

Looking to buy a wrx

Hey guys im looking into buying a wrx and have been reading up on them. I am looking at a car but i have one question. I kno how cai are bad but does this count as as a "cai". its more like a ram but does this still harm your engine? thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hood.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thats a short ram intake. You wont see any kind of off real power gains, but as long as the filter is cleaned/replaced on schedule it wont hurt the car in any way.

Welcome to the club!

As long as the inside diameter is 3" you'll be fine. The issue with intakes are that cold air intakes can suck up water into the engine, and either CAI or short rams, may differ in ID size and messes up the MAF readings and fuel/air ratios are incorrect.

Also short rams without a heat sheild will be sucking in hot engine air, so this could be another downside factor, it is not a huge issue either, but nontheless cold air is always better for performance.

Ok/popular intakes are Cobb, SPT, or the K & N.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

ya i kno about sri and stuff but how about leaning out the motor too much like i read about the cai? does that not happen with this?

Only use cobb or spt they will flow like factory. cai dont get unless its a track car. I hear good things about k&n also but have no expierience with them.
    06 WRX VF39ED
    Wingl3ss @lliance #20
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Thumbs up

welcome to the club! I'm a new here too. I have also heard that the stock intake was power safe upto 350bhp. They also recomended a high flow filter. The only down side to that for me would be that you wouldn't get the pleasure of hearing the turbo spool like you do with a shortram. I personally have an spt shortram with heatsheild and I love it.
    Last edited by wrxcomplex; 03-03-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: add words

Quote Originally Posted by 06hawkman View Post
    Only use cobb or spt they will flow like factory. cai dont get unless its a track car. I hear good things about k&n also but have no expierience with them.
    Have a K&N shorty intake on my 06' WRX. Also upgraded to a Perrin Intercooler and BOV.
    Took the heat shield off the turbo, but wrapped the pipe and had a 3" Cat-Back exaust with high flow resonator installed. Car will hang with it's big brother now.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Have a K&N shorty intake on my 06' WRX. Also upgraded to a Perrin Intercooler and BOV.
    Took the heat shield off the turbo, but wrapped the pipe and had a 3" Cat-Back exaust with high flow resonator installed. Car will hang with it's big brother now.
    These mods show power gains? I am surprised. What does removing the heat shield do for you?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77
    These mods show power gains? I am surprised. What does removing the heat shield do for you?
    The listed mods will not allow a WRX to "hang with an STi" given equal drivers.

You sometimes have to remove/trim the heat shield to get a DP on - maybe he's preparing for StageII (at which point, he'd have a better chance of hanging with an STi)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    The listed mods will not allow a WRX to "hang with an STi" given equal drivers.

You sometimes have to remove/trim the heat shield to get a DP on - maybe he's preparing for StageII (at which point, he'd have a better chance of hanging with an STi)
    From what I read on this and other forums, those mods wouldn't produce noticeable gains in general - right?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77
    From what I read on this and other forums, those mods wouldn't produce noticeable gains in general - right?
    The restriction in your exhaust comes from the catalytic converters, which are located in the downpipe. If you keep the stock downpipe (CBE), you're more or less changing the sound of the exhaust. The intakes don't do much for the car, either. Just slapping a larger intercooler may give you some performance gains by giving more cold air into the turbo, but again, you really need to tune the car to see any real gains.

Slapping a DP on the car seems to yield 7-10hp according to most vendor websites, but as soon as you tune the car, you're adding in the neighborhood of 30-50hp. The power comes from a tune, not the parts.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    The restriction in your exhaust comes from the catalytic converters, which are located in the downpipe. If you keep the stock downpipe (CBE), you're more or less changing the sound of the exhaust. The intakes don't do much for the car, either. Just slapping a larger intercooler may give you some performance gains by giving more cold air into the turbo, but again, you really need to tune the car to see any real gains.

Slapping a DP on the car seems to yield 7-10hp according to most vendor websites, but as soon as you tune the car, you're adding in the neighborhood of 30-50hp. The power comes from a tune, not the parts.
    Cats do restrict flow, but your resonator is just as bad and it is after the converter. I would recomend going to a performange exaust shop and have something made for your car from the downpipe back to start. If the car is still under factory warranty, don't mess with the electronics or the cat. Upgrade the intercooler ASAP,the factory WRX intercooler is junk. If the car is out of warranty, the sky is the limit.