HI my names SEIKO
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HI my names SEIKO within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello been surfing this forum for the past two weeks and finally decided to register. I currently have a 350z ...

HI my names SEIKO

Hello been surfing this forum for the past two weeks and finally decided to register.

I currently have a 350z and plan on selling it do get a 04-06wrx. I've read countless threads on here about the purchase of a used car, things to look for, and prices to pay, first mod reliability and gas prices.(excellent stickys BTW) This is definately the car for me. Even though i love my Z insurance and payments could be alot less with a wrx and i could also drive in snow. Besides that my big 75 pound boxer (max) wouldnt be cramped in the front seat of my Z!

I know theres a guy floating around here who has both a wrx and a 350z just hoping he could chime in and tell me some driving differences of the two cars, as i have yet to drive any subaru.

Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

I had a serious look at a 350Z before choosing the WRX back in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by blacks13ek View Post
    Hello been surfing this forum for the past two weeks and finally decided to register. I know theres a guy floating around here who has both a wrx and a 350z just hoping he could chime in and tell me some driving differences of the two cars, as i have yet to drive any subaru.

Thanks guys
    I think you are referring to Micah. Cavalino333 is a WRX to Z guy you might want to look up as well.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-27-2008 at 03:44 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

The 350Z you already know. Planted handling with a bit of understeer which can turn to oversteer with proper throttle input. Excellent aerodynamics lend themselves well to the car so that it "squats" at speed (that is to say it doesn't lift like most vehicles).

That being said.

The WRX has very differint handling, with 9" of wheel travel on the stock suspension it has a compliant ride that will feel "lean happy" until you learn to slow down for turns. This can be remedied with a rear antisway bar and endlinks. The car has a tendency to understeer as well, and again, the rear bar and endlinks will help make the car feel more neutral. If you look into aftermarket springs, be sure to look at struts as well since they will wear faster with the non-OEM spring rates. It is for this reason myself and many others choose to go with "coilovers" instead.

Mechanically the WRX is probably the best import I've owned, if not the best car I've owned yet. Stay on top of maintenance, and it will last a long time. Speaking of which, if you want it to last, you will learn to downshift and upshift with revmatching. The AWD platform should not be used for burnouts, donuts, or spinning tires in any manner. These cars are designed to grip, and they do it well.

I could go on for hours, but just ask if you want to know something, and check the links in my sig.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

thanks for the quick replies, nice your in new jersey too. Not sure where beachwood is, is it near cherry hill area?

Quote Originally Posted by blacks13ek View Post
    thanks for the quick replies, nice your in new jersey too. Not sure where beachwood is, is it near cherry hill area?
    x80 on the parkway - not too close to Cherry Hill, but it's not that far either.

Oh, and the WRX 5-speed is a weak link (notoriously in the 2002 and some early 2003's). Downshifting into 1st is near impossible unless you are around 3mph or less. Just put it in second and deal with it.

The six speed gearbox in the 350Z feels similar(though I expect the 350z's is stronger) to the six speed gearbox in the STI, and you can downshift to first with the 6-speed at reasonable speeds.

On the plus side, better gas mileage(assuming you aren't a boost junkie) and less attention from cops are the biggest difference between a WRX and a 350Z. The rest should be obvious - 4 doors, a trunk that holds more than "2 golf bags", a glove compartment in a normal spot, map lights which aren't twin blinding suns.

I gotta say, I like my WRX more than my 350z, but stock for stock, the WRX is a more versatile vehicle.

But the ladies do love the 350z.
    Last edited by Micah; 02-27-2008 at 04:30 PM.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    x80 on the parkway - not too close to Cherry Hill, but it's not that far either.

Oh, and the WRX 5-speed is a weak link (notoriously in the 2002 and some early 2003's). Downshifting into 1st is near impossible unless you are around 3mph or less. Just put it in second and deal with it.

The six speed gearbox in the 350Z feels similar(though I expect the 350z's is stronger) to the six speed gearbox in the STI, and you can downshift to first with the 6-speed at reasonable speeds.

On the plus side, better gas mileage(assuming you aren't a boost junkie) and less attention from cops are the biggest difference between a WRX and a 350Z. The rest should be obvious - 4 doors, a trunk that holds more than "2 golf bags", a glove compartment in a normal spot, map lights which aren't twin blinding suns.

I gotta say, I like my WRX more than my 350z, but stock for stock, the WRX is a more versatile vehicle.

But the ladies do love the 350z.

not really a boost junkie or anything and rarely race mycar. I prefer a spirited drive to work/to the beach. Assuming the stage2 cobb package will get me right in the range of my Z. im 6foot4 200 pounds so i should fit.

As far as down shifting to first i never ever down shift to first lol.

yeah the glovecompartment is terrible, and the trunk is pretty useless. and i never turn on the map lights.

this one time i won my girl a big teddy bear on the board walk and it wouldnt fit in the trunk, so we had to stuff it to the front seat with her Funniest drive home ever.

yep, I know the feeling.

I banged a girl in my Z shortly after I got it, and it was fun, but what a mess. My right knee was in the drivers seat back, my left knee was on the center console, and she was bent over the back with her head under the rear bar in the back. I was all sorts of sideways, and have no plans to try it ever again.

I'm like 5'8" 190lbs and she was about 4'10" 100lbs.

When I bought my 350Z, it was an impulse buy of sorts, I was making more money than I ever had, and wanted to buy something fun and impractical. I still think those two words describe the car perfectly.

Though you don't think you'll be a boost junkie - just wait. The Subaru boxer engine doesn't deliver torque in any manner that resembles the torque of the VQ35(287hp/274tq) or the VQ35DE(300hp/260tq).
    Last edited by Micah; 02-27-2008 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    yep, I know the feeling.

I banged a girl in my Z shortly after I got it, and it was fun, but what a mess. My right knee was in the drivers seat back, my left knee was on the center console, and she was bent over the back with her head under the rear bar in the back. I was all sorts of sideways, and have no plans to try it ever again.

I'm like 5'8" 190lbs and she was about 4'10" 100lbs.

When I bought my 350Z, it was an impulse buy of sorts, I was making more money than I ever had, and wanted to buy something fun and impractical. I still think those two words describe the car perfectly.

Though you don't think you'll be a boost junkie - just wait. The Subaru boxer engine doesn't deliver torque in any manner that resembles the torque of the VQ35(287hp/274tq) or the VQ35DE(300hp/260tq).

Hahahah i tried that same position like 2 months after i got the car so uncomfortable and never to be done again... thats hilarious.

"fun and impractical" Sure is... ill be surfing the forums for a while but won't make a purchase till i find EXACTLY what i want and at the price i want.

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    I think you are referring to Micah. Cavalino333 is a WRX to Z guy you might want to look up as well.

I traded my wrx for a z my z is now stock except for a 3.9 final drive, nismo lsd, and a non-staggered wheel/tire setup. I like my Z better but the WRX did beat it in a lot of ways.

Well I'm a bit late micah pretty much covered everything but my opinion.

WRX pro's over z: more space, better mpg for the most part, better reliability record, awd= all weather usability, easier/cheaper to mod, more visceral turbo feel, better rear visibility. The WRX does have a much easier chuck able feel in tight corners, I think it's generally easier to drive.

WRX con's compared to Z: transmission is kind of meh, seats aren't as comfortable, turbo lag, loss of power feeling on really hot days, doesn't handle or perform as well stock for stock.

The good thing about the WRX is essentially all those issue are fixable with mods, which are much cheaper than Z mods.

One thing though, my insurance was cheaper after getting the Z, not saying its the same for everyone but just wondering.

Both are great cars its just a matter of what fits better for you
    Last edited by cavallino333; 02-28-2008 at 12:09 AM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.