Newbie here..

This is a discussion on Newbie here.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sup guys, been a member for quite awhile, just always been lurking and researching.. I have a 02' is300 right ...

Newbie here..

Sup guys, been a member for quite awhile, just always been lurking and researching.. I have a 02' is300 right now, looking to buy an evo/wrx before or at the start of summer..

I am located in Knoxville, TN.. hopefully will be able to get a good deal, looking to spend 22ish.. so hopefully I can get a low mileage WRX.

I made a similar post on the evoM forums, and was told that I should just boost the IS300 instead of buying an evo because I would be disappointed with its reliability (many of the ones telling me this previously owned an is300, and regret selling it for an evo).. I know I will be beating a dead horse, but would I have to worry about these issues with the WRX? I really like my IS300, but I just don't feel like I am apart of the drive, I just feel like I am along for it. I would mod the WRX to an extent, but not any major engine/transmission/turbo upgrades. I can't decide what year I want, the 06 or 05 either lol.. Also, post up some WRX vids.. I found some on youtube, but I would like to see some canyon/mountain runs..

Thanks in advance for your help..

-Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club!

I have thoroughly enjoyed my WRX it has been the best car I have ever owned out of the 4 I have owned
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome. I like the IS300 its very comfy and an alright performer. I recommend you look into the Subaru Legacy GT or the GT spec B. Slightly better performance than the is300 with the same level of luxury and AWD. You might be happy with a wrx, but I would hate to give up the alcantra to get it
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Welcome. I like the IS300 its very comfy and an alright performer. I recommend you look into the Subaru Legacy GT or the GT spec B. Slightly better performance than the is300 with the same level of luxury and AWD. You might be happy with a wrx, but I would hate to give up the alcantra to get it
    +1 I feel like I really should have looked into these a little bit more

Welcome, i cannot say wether the WRX is better in reliablility, but they are very reliable. People have went stage two, (exhaust and engine mgmt), and went far past 100k and never seen any major issues.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Welcome!

Subaru reliability is excellent. Not something I would be concerned with.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

i didn't want to make another post just to ask these questions because i know they have been answered in another thread, but I am just hoping someone can point me to where I can find the answer to these questions (what thread)..

first off, I have been debating between the evo and wrx for a while now and still have sometime before I buy, i am just leaning towards the wrx right now (wrx or maybe sti if i can find one in my price range) because the car i decide on will be my daily driver and will need to be able to take my on road trips somewhat comfortably and reliably.. anyways my 2 questions..

1. i was looking at buschur racing's website and noticed the fp green upgraded turbo, i -KNOW- this has been answered on here somewhere, but can't find the thread, if I get a standard WRX and upgrade it to this turbo, what else will I need to upgrade or is that it? anyone show the actual gains of this thing on a dyno? is the turbo ONLY for the Sti or STi and regular WRX? i am either just gonna buy this turbo or do the cobb stage 2.. depending on which one brings more power for the money..

2. who has a black/black or white/black WRX? (black w/ black wheels, etc.).. i can't seem to find one! post pics or point me in the direction of where I can see some, gonna be the look im going for..

thanks a lot guys, always appreciate the help since im a huge wrx newbie.. just post the link to the threads or just write a short answer if you dont mind.. i don't mind just clicking on a link and reading an old thread, i just want to be pointed in the right direction
    Last edited by DealsGapWRX; 03-17-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Upgrading the turbo without engine management is a bad idea, so you might as well do the Cobb Stage II first, and start saving for the turbo. I haven't upgraded turbo (unlikely I will) - but lots of people on these forums have said the following (I have no experience myself, just writing what I have read from people smarter than me):

1.) You need a bigger intercooler to support a bigger turbo
    2.) Depending on the year of the WRX, Stage II seems to be the highest power that you can safely put on your tranny without blowing it up. So if you do stage II and turbo upgrade, you may need a new tranny.
    3.) The above mods will run you lots of $$$ - if this is your plan, you should probably just get the STI.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I own a classic wrx and love it
    280BHP

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and (re)welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DealsGapWRX
    1. i was looking at buschur racing's website and noticed the fp green upgraded turbo, i -KNOW- this has been answered on here somewhere, but can't find the thread, if I get a standard WRX and upgrade it to this turbo, what else will I need to upgrade or is that it? anyone show the actual gains of this thing on a dyno? is the turbo ONLY for the Sti or STi and regular WRX? i am either just gonna buy this turbo or do the cobb stage 2.. depending on which one brings more power for the money..
    If you decide on the FP Green, you'll need the following:
    1) turbo
    2) FMIC
    3) 800cc injectors
    4) Walbro Fuel Pump
    5) Downpipe
    6) Protune (I don't believe there's an OTS map for the FP Green)
    7) Tranny (you will probably shred a gear if you drive it too spiritedly)

There are 2 guys locally who are running an FP Green setup on their STi's and are putting down about 370whp/wtq
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC