From Mitsubishi to Subaru... MAYBE...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on From Mitsubishi to Subaru... MAYBE... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, My name is joe and im new here. I go on the evolutionm.net forums alll the time. I ...

From Mitsubishi to Subaru... MAYBE...

Hey guys, My name is joe and im new here. I go on the evolutionm.net forums alll the time. I own a 2004 Mitsubishi ralliart. Turbo'd, port polished head, cam, lsd, clutch flywheel... BLAH BLAH BLAH... car is pretty fast. I love it. Its my baby...

BUT....

I feel as if i reached its limit. Theres nothing more i can bolt on, unless i rip the motor apart and build a new motor. I'm just not happy with the results. Its fast, but not 14,000 dollars worth of motor work fast.

So instead of the 2.4 liter ralliart, I turned to what any mitsu owner would do, The EVO. Now i love the way they look and feel. I mean its better look than the STI (my opinion, sorry) and i just LOVE mitsu's, its in my blood. So one day i went out and test drove a used 2004 evo, and it was, honest, not as fast as I was thinking.

Maybe its cuz im used to my turbo'd ralliart, or maybe evo's just arent they are choked up to be, but i just wasnt impressed... BUT, as everybody who knows about cars may know this fact, ANYTHING you throw at the 4g63 (evo motor) will make horsepower. and huge amounts of it. 3,000 dollars can get 245whp to 330whp. The evo motor is just amazing, and cheap. And 450whp evo's on daily pump gas is actually easy.

Now my question to you STI guys, is how does the STI's motor react to bolt on's and how is the horsepower/money ratio? what kind of bolt on's did you guys put on, and what horse power gains did it get you?

and most importantly, does the 2004 STI's have that feature where you switch the power from AWD to RWD and FWD if you want? 90% Power in the back and 10% in the front?

I'm realy tossed up between keeping my dead end FWD ralliart, the easy-going but nasty little ***** 4g63 the evo has, or should i get the STI???

thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

stay with your 'bishi cars is my opinion.
    Stage II and loving it!

+1

if the evo was in your blood as you say you wouldnt be asking!
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

hell yeah, the EVO is way sexier and meaner than the STI. You should ditch the ralliart and get the EVO. Are you really driving a ralliart???? that's gay LOL(sorry, just my opinion) it's like fixing up a toyota corolla.

Quote Originally Posted by LIGARDO View Post
    hell yeah, the EVO is way sexier and meaner than the STI. You should ditch the ralliart and get the EVO. Are you really driving a ralliart???? that's gay LOL(sorry, just my opinion) it's like fixing up a toyota corolla.
    haha, i have to agree with you on that. lol
    Stage II and loving it!

It sounds like your next step is to drive a 2004 STI and see how it stacks up against the 2004 Mitsu your drove. Maybe the Evo was just a dog and needed new plugs/air filter/something or had a crappy tank of gas.

On the subject of $/HP to tune an STI, if you buy new parts you can get about +50 HP and +85 TQ for ~$1500. I did a little searching and got top of the line used parts for $900 ($1900 new) to get those numbers. Spend another $400 for a protune and you can get another 10-15 HP and 20-30 TQ and also flatten out your HP and TQ curves.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by kiger0183 View Post
    stay with your 'bishi cars is my opinion.
    + 1
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsti View Post
    +1

if the evo was in your blood as you say you wouldnt be asking!
    + 1
    Quote Originally Posted by LIGARDO View Post
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

hahaha... Well yea the ralliart may be a little slow in stock form, but I put alot of time and money into it. Its a fast little bugger now. pushing almost 300whp out of a NA motor. Car isnt meant for boost or high horsepower, but it handled it well. Pretty fast car, im proud of it. Plus it looks nicer than any subie i've seen so far. hehehe....

Ok so you guys are saying since i love evo's i should stick with evo's. I was leaning towards that, but the ONLY modle evo i want is the evo9. Cost about 29000 bucks. If i can get my hands on an 04sti, that is about 21000 bucks... I guess you guys are right, i gotta just test drive an sti and see how i feel about it....

But the main things that are gonna make me decide is

A) do the 04 models have that power splitter between RWD and FWD
    B) like i said before, is the aftermarket for the sti good? and how is the horsepower gains with it? I know an evo can get 15-20whp from an exhaust. Evo motors get crazy with horsepower gains. STI's the same???
    C) Just the sound of the exhaust/BOV and turbo spooling up. I gotta see what it all soundsl ike on youtube or something before i buy anything. I love the way mine sounds more than an evo, so i'll be on youtube today looking for this lol.

I'm also gonna be looking at this thread for the powergains and yada yada yada about sti's.

Thanks for all your help. Post up here if you have any advice to help me decide

AND does the 04 sti's have the FWD RWD thing im talking about? or just the newer models?

@Clubwrx - Who else here think this guy will never get the piont?

@Ralliart_on_LSD - buddy all the treads here are subjective to opinion and self experiance, if you base buying a car on any of it I allmost garuantee you will be dissapionted!
    As the other guys mentioned go and test drive the car so you know for yourself. Search the internet to find out what mods make what power... you can even go as far as to speak to your local suby tunner.

Now for heavens sake post something worth reading and stop asking the same dumb questions in different ways!

Nuff said!
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

test drive both cars and see which one you like better.
    Cobb Stage 2

Yes the 04 STI has a DCCD. I've got one and it's nice, but not the sort of 90-10 split your hoping for. Set it to the rear and you get a good deal of rear end play in the corners, but don't expect to smoke the rear tires from a dig or anything. From what I've heard, Evo's will respond better to mods....the FMIC is a benefit.

Not taking away from the Evo's bad assedness any whatsoever, but from my experiences with both manufacturers:
    Subaru's reliabilty >>> Mistubishi's reliability
    Subaru's longevity >>> Mitsu's longevity
    Subaru's durability >>> Mitsu's durability

Now, of course the 4G63 is a better platform for mods than the EJ257 for a few reasons:
    -it has been on the market for longer and has more aftermarket support
    -it's a closed, cast iron block design, EJ257 is a semi-closed aluminum design
    -there is a lot less exhaust pipe length between the head exhaust ports and the turbo on the 4G, that allows the turbo to spool a bit quicker

Both cars (depending on which MY), handle very similarly well, albeit each achieves it in a different way. From what I understand, the Evo has the tighter chassis and is a more 'point and shoot', go kart like handler, whereas the Subie achieves its handling my its phenomenal grip. I can attest that you can get it sideways to the point its scary, yet stable as a rock. It likes to powerslide.
    If you're that interested in an STi, go for the '05 model. It has a better front differential and handles turns a bit different than the '04 model. You can find threads on the differences between the '04 and '05.

ets,
    love the avatar. Clarkson's face could be reason enough alone to make me want an Ariel Atom as much as I do. You could go out and pick on <1000cc sportbikes with that car.
    Last edited by mike05STi; 02-21-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Do you know what engine management is?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

LSD what are you looking for in a car? Straight line performance? AutoX? DD? Both STi and Evo are great for AutoX. Straight line performance isn't bad either but truthfully they are not design for it. If you are looking for a torquey daily driver with comfort and nice amenities the Sti is the way to go. If you want to mod a car and get some serious horsepower for cheap the Evo would be a good choice. You can't go wrong with either car, its definately an upgrade from your ralliart turbo or not.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

I mainly want this car for drag racing. I like beating the car on turns and stuff sometimes for fun. But performance wise, im putting all my money in the motor to go in a straight line.. which care is better for drag? im guessing evo cuz of the high horse power.

and about the 90-10 split, I'm not trying to make my car burn wheels lol. A firned of mine said he had a subie and he did 90-10 and he got great results at the 1/4 mile (he also owns mustangs, so he's used to RWD). But he has an 05. Was just wondering if the 04's had it to.

Thanks for the help guys. Most likely going to jump on the evo. I mean im on a sti forum and even you guys are telling me to get an evo lol. So i'd be stoopid if i bout a subie, even tho they are 8,000 cheaper

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast