AccessPORT ???

This is a discussion on AccessPORT ??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I just purchased my first subie after years of owning evo's (recently married and new baby means I can't ...

AccessPORT ???

Hello, I just purchased my first subie after years of owning evo's (recently married and new baby means I can't afford the $400 a month for insurance). I bought an 08 wrx sedan last friday. Not being able to leave the car as it is I came here looking for ideas. I saw the AccessPORT in another thread and was wondering is this the best and easiest way to tune? I used piggybacks on my evo's and eclipses and you always ended up bastardizing some wiring harness somewhere. I would like to get some more hp's and torque while also having the option to improve gas mileage for long cruises. Are there other options as good as the AccessPORT ? Where can I get the best price? I've only seen them for $695 and thats a little out of my price range. Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wel first off welcome and congrats on the purchace and the baby. the access port is definalty the way to go. the only downside is the price. its hard to find the cheeper especialy for the newer cars. feel free to brows around and read up on all the access port, and your car has to offer!
    Last edited by Drifting02WRX; 02-19-2008 at 05:40 PM.
    member of teh sex... i mean bugeye mafia (#92)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhattervr4 View Post
    Hello, I just purchased my first subie after years of owning evo's (recently married and new baby means I can't afford the $400 a month for insurance). I bought an 08 wrx sedan last friday. Not being able to leave the car as it is I came here looking for ideas. I saw the AccessPORT in another thread and was wondering is this the best and easiest way to tune? I used piggybacks on my evo's and eclipses and you always ended up bastardizing some wiring harness somewhere. I would like to get some more hp's and torque while also having the option to improve gas mileage for long cruises. Are there other options as good as the AccessPORT ? Where can I get the best price? I've only seen them for $695 and thats a little out of my price range. Suggestions?
    Welcome

You're probably not going to find them new for anything less than the $695 on the Cobb site (maybe you can get one for $650, but I wouldn't hold your breath). Because you have an '08, the chance of you finding one used (which would be the best way to save some $$). The Cobb AP is simply plug-n-play, so it's the most popular and most user-friendly EM setup. You may want to look into open-source tuning, as you can get away with saving some $$ that way (you'd need a tactrix cable, laptop, and either tune the map yourself or buy one from a company like XPT). If you decide to go this route, try to find someone local who has tuned their own car open-source, and you can probably get away with them tuning your car for the cost of lunch (they'd probably have the tactrix/laptop and whatnot).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    For a car still under warranty, the AP is the way to go... Very simply, you are able to flash back to stock with the push of a button.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

ap is the way to go imo
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    +1

Welcome to the club.

Please take some time to explore the links in my signature too.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Wow this has to be the friendliest forum I've ever been a member of. Thanks for all your help guys (and gals?). I really like my subie so far. The sat/nav is a little flaky at times but everything else is great. Mitsubishi is stupid for not offering a car like the wrx, you can either buy the b/a car which is thru the roof insurance or the car for 40somethings thats not quick. I've been a hardcore mitsu guy for years having raced eclipses in scca off road rallies. I've always like subies tho and I really like the 08' body style.

I was able to pick up a brand new AP from maperformance.com yesterday for $625 (w/ free shipping) using the 10% off using the deal they've been advertising in the "vendor: for sale" threads. Cobb Tuning AccessPORTs In Stock / FREE Overnight Shipping / '08 WRX Now Available!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhattervr4 View Post
    Wow this has to be the friendliest forum I've ever been a member of. Thanks for all your help guys (and gals?).
    That's how it's done over here... with few rare exceptions. I've noticed the same thing. I'd much rather get my info. here than IWSTI or Nasoic. Welcome to the Subi side!

As most have said, there are other cheaper alternatives, but with a new car underwarranty, AccessPort is the safest way to go. You'll get your maps for everything from Ecomony mode to Valet mode to Stage 1 and Stage 2 upgrades. It's definitely a little pricey, but past that the car's not that expensive to moderately modify.

Edit: Oh, and post pics of your Evos...and of course the new ride.

I love the AP, def the way to go. It's worth the extra money to just save more and splurge on it if it is out of your price range. It will save you money in the future, look at it that way.

And welcome.

Sure thing, I'll see what I can do. I still have a 3000gt vr4 but it hasn't moved in 3 years I rounded off the teeth on my output shaft. The stupid thing is that I have all the parts, I just have to press everything back together.

So I guess I'll have to buils on my secret car stash so I can buy an AP. Surprisingly I haven't taken any pics of the new car yet. It looks like the suns out so I'll have to take some pics. I really don't take to many pictures of my cars. I'm sure I can find something though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    That's how it's done over here... with few rare exceptions. I've noticed the same thing. I'd much rather get my info. here than IWSTI or Nasoic. Welcome to the Subi side!

As most have said, there are other cheaper alternatives, but with a new car underwarranty, AccessPort is the safest way to go. You'll get your maps for everything from Ecomony mode to Valet mode to Stage 1 and Stage 2 upgrades. It's definitely a little pricey, but past that the car's not that expensive to moderately modify.

Edit: Oh, and post pics of your Evos...and of course the new ride.