Newbie with a question

This is a discussion on Newbie with a question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone. I have a 2003 WRX with 125k miles on it. I am having my first real problem. I ...

Newbie with a question

Hi everyone. I have a 2003 WRX with 125k miles on it. I am having my first real problem. I hope someone has some ideas because I love this car.

I drive up a steep winding mountain road coming home, of course I like to get on it a bit coming up this mountain twice now it has acted like it has gone into neutral and I have to back off to almost a complete stop then shift down to 2nd and it will go again. I am not red lining it or getting on it too hard though. This is kinda embarrassing besides being concerning does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem.

I have had the fuel filter changed and the belts changed as routine maintenance. I love my car but as a woman alone driving 50 plus miles per day I don't want to be stranded on the side of the mountain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is this a 5 speed or auto? If it's 5 speed, sounds like a new clutch is in order.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

It is a 5 speed but it changes smooth would this be the only sign? I am driving and not changing gears when it happens it is like it pops out of gear or something similar.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adria37 View Post
    Hi everyone. I have a 2003 WRX with 125k miles on it. I am having my first real problem. I hope someone has some ideas because I love this car.

I drive up a steep winding mountain road coming home, of course I like to get on it a bit coming up this mountain twice now it has acted like it has gone into neutral and I have to back off to almost a complete stop then shift down to 2nd and it will go again. I am not red lining it or getting on it too hard though. This is kinda embarrassing besides being concerning does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem.

I have had the fuel filter changed and the belts changed as routine maintenance. I love my car but as a woman alone driving 50 plus miles per day I don't want to be stranded on the side of the mountain.
    does your gear pop out, or does it just start to go into neutral with the gear still in place?

It is like it goes into neutral with the gear still in place. It is not difficult at all to shift gears. I have noticed they are adding 10% Ethanol to the gas around here would that make a difference? I do use super gas and always have as recommended.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adria37 View Post
    It is like it goes into neutral with the gear still in place. It is not difficult at all to shift gears. I have noticed they are adding 10% Ethanol to the gas around here would that make a difference? I do use super gas and always have as recommended.
    yeah, then it is your clutch slipping. your clutch is old, especially if you havent replaced it yet. a new clutch should slove your problem.

Thank you, I guess a trip to the mechanic is in order then.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your clutch is slipping, congrats on getting 125k out of it

Have your 90k service performed while you're there too.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE