New Here w/ Question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

This is a discussion on New Here w/ Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I came across a subie for sale with no engine that was pretty cheap. I am kind of hesitant ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7

    New Here w/ Question

    Hi, I came across a subie for sale with no engine that was pretty cheap. I am kind of hesitant to buy a used engine though, so if I were to buy it does anyone make crate engines for WRX's?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,258
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!

    I have not heard of any - it would be insane expensive if they did. With a careful search around you area and the Internet you will likely find a healthy engine for your Subie. What year and model are you looking to drop an engine into?

    You could buy a shortblock, heads and the rest of the needed parts for a DIY.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  4. #3
    Registered User MindzeyeWRX02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stockton, California 209
    Posts
    282
    Search google for subaru engines. You'll find a lot out there. Usually you'll find crate engines from tuner shops. Heres one for example http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/UsedEngines.htm
    Goodluck

  5. #4
    Registered User rr1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    0
    hello and welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9
    you could def. get a hold of complete motors for decent prices or piece together the major parts yourself. A brand new EJ257 shortblock is $1800. You should search out the JDM import vendors that sell complete longblocks off of rolled/otherwise damaged JDm wrx/sti. You can try JDMSpecC they are a vendor on NASIOC and very reputable.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Ok thanks guys! I'll do some looking around at those engines and decide if I wanna buy the shell or not. Thanks for the help.

  8. #7
    Registered User MindzeyeWRX02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stockton, California 209
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by sluflyer06 View Post
    A brand new EJ257 shortblock is $1800.
    wow, thats $400 more then what I paid for my new EJ257 shortie.

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by MindzeyeWRX02 View Post
    wow, thats $400 more then what I paid for my new EJ257 shortie.


    Whoah where would I get that $1400 shortblock from? The impreza is a 97 and it had an EJ20 swap but the engine blew so the guy just pulled the engine. I imagine I could just drop an EJ257 in? (Assuming I buy a head as well.) The heads are relatively cheap from my searching. Ahh I would need a turbo too huh...
    Last edited by Blue Spark; 02-18-2008 at 09:55 PM.

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    I found an EJ257 longblock missing "injectors and tgv's motors" for 1800 and it's only supposed to have 20k miles on it. What would i need to do to make sure the engine was in perfect shape like the ad says? It almost seems too good to be true.
    Last edited by Blue Spark; 02-23-2008 at 11:40 PM.

  11. #10
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,522
    I Support ClubWRX
    Compression check. That is about all you really can do besides pulling the pan and the valve covers.


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

  12. #11
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,522
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Spark View Post
    Whoah where would I get that $1400 shortblock from? The impreza is a 97 and it had an EJ20 swap but the engine blew so the guy just pulled the engine. I imagine I could just drop an EJ257 in? (Assuming I buy a head as well.) The heads are relatively cheap from my searching. Ahh I would need a turbo too huh...
    Heads aren't too cheap.. Im hoping you were looking for the LEFT and the RIGHT cylinder heads since Subaru's have 2 cylinder heads. Also they are a 4 cam motor..


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

  13. #12
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,522
    I Support ClubWRX
    BTW you can go down to your local Subaru dealer and purchase the EJ257 shortblock for about 1800. You can should be able to easily talk them into taking 20-25% off that too. Gasket Sets through Subaru aren't too bad priced either.


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    BTW you can go down to your local Subaru dealer and purchase the EJ257 shortblock for about 1800. You can should be able to easily talk them into taking 20-25% off that too. Gasket Sets through Subaru aren't too bad priced either.
    Thanks a lot for all of your help. So if I were to buy a shortblock from the dealership what else would I need to purchase to be able to have a driveable car?

  15. #14
    Registered User MindzeyeWRX02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stockton, California 209
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Spark View Post
    Thanks a lot for all of your help. So if I were to buy a shortblock from the dealership what else would I need to purchase to be able to have a driveable car?
    This is what i did when i had my shortie swap.

    STI short block
    Machine heads
    ARP Head studs
    PE Timing belt
    New Thermostat
    NGK Iridium plugs
    Gaskets overhaul kit

    AP 2.0
    oilpump
    Waterpump

    Most of it was suggested by my tuner that did the swap.

    You will need engine management and a custom tune if you go with your 2.0 heads.

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by MindzeyeWRX02 View Post
    This is what i did when i had my shortie swap.

    STI short block
    Machine heads
    ARP Head studs
    PE Timing belt
    New Thermostat
    NGK Iridium plugs
    Gaskets overhaul kit

    AP 2.0
    oilpump
    Waterpump

    Most of it was suggested by my tuner that did the swap.

    You will need engine management and a custom tune if you go with your 2.0 heads.
    How much did all of that end up costing you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •